• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shifting Question

so that article won't work for a 98? that sucks

You can still use a lot of the info for a 98 and perform the same basic tests. It's just the connector at the TCU changed and you need to figure out what pins to test on. The NSS has an extra wire, there is an extra input speed sensor, but the solenoids should be the same resistance, etc.

You can use the procedure in the article, just need to use the right pins for testing. Here's the pinout for a 99. Should be the same as a 98, although its possible a few wire colors changed. In your case, I'd start by checking for power on pins 25 and 26, good grounds on pins 16 and 24, and then check solenoid resistance on pins 11/12/13 to ground.

AW4_99_Connector.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/~chris83803/AW4_99_Connector.jpg

It is absolutely incorrect to say that the AW4 will "skip" 2nd gear if you shift it manually into 1-2. The trans will only shift into 2nd gear at something like 4-5k RPM regardless if the TCU is working or not.

Since this thread has been dug up, I thought I should mention that the FSM specifically states, in the "manual shifting test", that with the TCU disconnected the transmission will "provide first gear only with shift lever in 1-2 position."

But I only said anything because this was brought back to life.

Not sure why it was resurrected. Some folks have stated that their AW4 will upshift into second near redline, whether the tcu is connected or not.

If you get up to about 30 mph in 3, and down shift to 1-2 it will shift to 2 also, and jump to about 4000 rpm. The sweet spot for 2 in the 1-2 position is either 3500 or 4500 rpm, I forget which.

Back