• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Overdrive Issue

XJ_Lars

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I attempted to go on a trip this holiday weekend, however my XJ disagreed.

While on the freeway, the transmission kept jumping in and out of overdrive. Speeds were around 60-65mph. Sometimes it seemed to happen when I hit a bump in the freeway, other times it didnt. This also happens occasionaly while driving at about 45mph, but if I accelerate to around 50mph, normally it stops. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be the problem???

93 XJ

Thanks!!!
Jeremy:gonnablow

Throttle Position Sensor. My '88 did the same thing around 45. Also, would not downshift properly when I climbed hill or tried to pass.

Search on TPS and you'll find lot's on threadds.

If you search as I suggested, you'll find ways to test the TPS. That way you can determine if it's the source of your problem or not before you spend any money to change it.

I attempted to seach TPS, however nothing came up. I then tried to search Throttle position sensor, found a few things that were related. I appreciate your input, I was just trying to get a second opinion.

XJ_Lars said:
I attempted to seach TPS, however nothing came up. I then tried to search Throttle position sensor, found a few things that were related. I appreciate your input, I was just trying to get a second opinion.

Ok you got one, check the TPS

XJ_Lars said:
Hello,

I attempted to go on a trip this holiday weekend, however my XJ disagreed.

While on the freeway, the transmission kept jumping in and out of overdrive. Speeds were around 60-65mph. Sometimes it seemed to happen when I hit a bump in the freeway, other times it didnt. This also happens occasionaly while driving at about 45mph, but if I accelerate to around 50mph, normally it stops. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be the problem???

93 XJ

Thanks!!!
Jeremy:gonnablow

Exactly the same thing happened to us in my girlfriends 93 XJ when we went on a trip a few weekends ago.

Ended up changing out the TPS in a parts store parking lot, made everything better. Get some throttle body cleaner too and clean the TB out while you are at it.

I didn't know what the heck was going on either. Luckily I had the laptop with and our hotel had wireless internet, so I checked a few forums including this one to see what the hell it could be. Yeah, I wouldn't have thought TPS either. But I guarantee that's it.

Thanks for the help... Looks like I need to stop and pick up a TPS on the way home. Actually....I should stop at the bank first. Ouch!

Back