• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aussie locker?

I have been runnng an aussie in the front dana 30 for almost a year now and my jeep is a dd and a weekend wheeler and I havnt had a probblem with it yet

I was under the impression that it will make the jeep a real pain to steer on the road unless you have a vaccume disconnect front axle. Correct me if i'm wrong because i've never had a locker in the front.
You might be better off with a limited slip like a true trac in the front. thats what my plan is because my xj is a daily driver.

your wrong. on the street, in 2wd (you should never use 4wd on the road in situations with good traction) you wont even notice the aussie locker.

I have been runnng an aussie in the front dana 30 for almost a year now and my jeep is a dd and a weekend wheeler and I havnt had a probblem with it yet

i have been running my D30 aussie since 06. its both my DD and weekend toy as well and i too have not had any trouble with it

I have them in both ends of my xj so ya they make one for the dana 35 part #
Aussie Locker XD-13527 84-2001. and I have a non disco and never noticed it in 2wd. I do have the part time transfer.

This is my first ND winter with an Aussie in the rear (8.25), so far no issues on the slick roads, but the Hankook I-Pike's might be helping with that. The Aussie unlocks really easy, even when turning on ice. I was thinking about one for the front, but I'll probably go with a TrueTrac.

If your XJ was made between 1984-2001, Aussie has a locker for your D35.

Other things to note on a rear install:
  • Super Easy to Install (did it before church one morning)
  • They go "tick, tick, tick" around every corner, drives the wife crazy. Not sure if they do this when installed in the front and in 2WD, they should because of the speed difference.
  • They have more slop compared to an open diff, so it goes "bang" a little louder when putting it into gear or when letting your foot off the gas while cruising. Glad I have an automatic.
  • It'll chirp on the street when making a turn from a dead stop (in heavy traffic)
  • Make sure your tire diameters are close. If they vary too much you'll experience some feedback in the steering wheel, especially when going from a coast to giving it gas.

your wrong. on the street, in 2wd (you should never use 4wd on the road in situations with good traction) you wont even notice the aussie locker.

Ok that makes sence now that i look at it that way, no power to the front axle = unlocked.
But what about us that have to deal with the snow in winter, I use 4wd when the roads are bad. Does anyone have any experience with that situation? I'm just curious.

But what about us that have to deal with the snow in winter, I use 4wd when the roads are bad. Does anyone have any experience with that situation? I'm just curious.

I drive mine locked in the snow but only when my rear tires start spinning and im going nowhere. Once you engage the locker the front tires grab and away you go like there isnt anything on the road once i notice the roads are semi clear i disengage it

I have one in the front (D30) in my 89 and it has never missed. Its rare in this world anymore, but you do get what you pay for!!

I have one in the front (D30) in my 89 and it has never missed. Its rare in this world anymore, but you do get what you pay for!!

What do you mean its never missed?

well i would just be putting it in the front because they dont sell it for a d35 i dont think

no no no no dont think aussie or lock right for a d35. the pins for the spiders that you re use in those kits are notorious for breaking. buy a detroit. just get a used one and be done with it. they replace the entire carrier thats what makes them so much stronger. to give you an example of how bullet proof they are my dad bought one USED in 1992 and put it in his willys jeep on 35s and it still works like my new one that i just installed in my xj with a d35 and he has never worn it out. spend a little extra coin and get one in the classifieds for around 3-400 and be done with it

Back