• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At a loss for words...

Hydrolock

NAXJA Forum User
So I went to my grandma's house today to take her husband to breakfast. I usually do that when Im home he like spending time out of the house.

After breakfast he says he has something for me that a person where he works gave it to him...

Its a Joe DiMaggio painting by Robert Stephen Simon

After a bit of research...it's worth $400 :gag:

I have no idea why someone would give this away but hell its great pay for going to breakfast lol

Careful, some people, especially older folks, can get offended when you won't accept/return a gift. He may very well know what it's worth, and wants it to go to you to show his appreciation for your kindness and taking the time to go to breakfast with an old man.

I don't know how often he gets out, but it sound to me that the painting is worth more than mere money.

Inform the husband and let him know the value of it. Then tell him to inform his coworker of the value of it and if he wants it back, that it is free for him to take. Simple as that. Show your concern about his wife.

keep in mind he probably doesn't know the exact value, but unless its big big $$ he probably doesn't care. he wants to show his appreciation to someone who is doing something nice for him.

instead of returning the painting, keep it, hang it up and cherish it, but next time you drop by for breakfast express your gratitude, and concern over the possible value and how its too much for you to accept... unless you can give him something in return. breakfast is one thing, but give him something of value too. I don't mean $400, but something he can value... take a picture of him and his wife and get it properly framed, or even a candid picture of you two at breakfast.

by the way, well done.

My grandmas husband is a greeter at walmart (yes I said it) He randomly met a man who he became friends with. He knew that he loves the yankees and being a Boston fan he gave it to him.

He had no idea of the value. Until I decided to figure out who the artist was and who is in the painting I found a lot of cool things out about it and I informed him today of its value.

I understand it could be taken as rude but simply saying hey did you know what you had on your hand with that painting?

I wasnt going to say here I cant take it I was going to say it was too much for someone to just give away like that (even if he likes the red sox).

I also found out Im receiving something of much more value from my grandmas husband. I have to wait till my grandma sells her house and finds an apartment.

Back