• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB/Truetrac arrangement

ARB/Truetrac combo opinions

• Truetrac/Truetrac

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Truetrac front/ARB rear

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • ARB f/Truetrac r

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • ARB/ARB

Votes: 49 66.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
2000 with LPD30/C8.25. DD 80/20. not bigger than 33s. Front axle will be upgraded (shafts/u joints). Armored on 4.5"

Options

Thinking of an ARB/Truetrac combo.

1. Truetrac/Truetrac
2. Truetrac Front/ARB rear
3. ARB front/Truetrac rear
4. screw it and go ARB/ARB:dunce:

ready, set, GO....

5.ARB front/Locker rear

My wrangler I have Trutrack at the front and detroit in the rear. Works awesome. Specially in the mud. In my xj I have the E-Locker in the front and detroit in the rear. Work even better than my wrangler in the rocks. I never tried it in mud. My brother has ARB front and rear. He had it installed by 4wheelparts. He is having problems with it. It does not engage sometimes. Plus some tube keeps leaking. I never had any problems with both of my set-up. Only bad thing is detroit needs a little getting use too. Also noisy at times. I would not go with trutrac in the rear. I would get a full locker in the rear. Your going to thank your self later. I can only tell you from what I have done and know. Last thing. I too also have a 2000 xj. Before I did anything to the front. I swap it with a HP D30. Found one in craigslist for $50. Hope this helps buddy.

hehe another which locker thread. :)

it all depends on how you drive, what trails you run on, and if you see a lot of snow/ice. If you see a lot of snow and ice on the road, I might suggest at least a rear Truetrac vs a full locker/spool. That way you have the extra traction but without the turning characteristics of a locked axle. It's fun sliding through turns, but only when there's nobody behind you or to the side. If you don't deal with a lot of ice/snow but do a lot of limited traction wheeling, go for the ARB front/rear. The Truetracs will disengage if there is a very high torque bias (aka, one tire off the ground and the other bound up) but you can usually re-lock it if you ride the brake.

I considered front/rear Truetracs for a while, but ended up going Detroit rear/ARB front. We only see snow on the roads here around 3 days a year. :) Loving the driving style with the rear Detroit, just have to be careful making turns on wet roads. lol

I originally thought ARB front/regular locker rear. I have ran open/open, ARB/ARB, and now have Detroit front/ARB rear. In a perfect world, I would like to have an ARB on each end. But, for your scenario I would recommend the secetable in the rear. Makes having the locker invisible on the street.

I guess people do not like to read before they write. The guy lives in La Mirada, CA. It never snows and its sunny year round.Only ice he will see is ice creme.

If you got the money, ARB/ARB.
If you're going to get a Truetrac, put it in the front. With the higher braking force in the front, you can just about lock up a Trutrac with the front brakes before the rears are engaged hard

I have a Truetrac in the front and a Auburn in the rear. Usually, I have to use the E-brake in conjunction with a left-foot pedal to get the back to spin both sides while the front will lock up hard with just the brakes alone.

I guess it would depend on the transfer case. With a 242, and if you wanted to keep full-time, you would have to put a selectable up front. And I would lock the front first and then see if you even need the rear.

Isn't the Truetrac a torsen? I would put it in the rear, since that's where I'd think it would do the most good, most of the time. And then the selectable locker in front to get you unstuck every once in a while.

The Detroit Truetrac is like a good limited slip and is not all that noticeable in a DD rig, its there when you need it and hardly notice it when you dont need it.

I like to wheel in 4 hi with a rear locker and when I need to engage the front I can so ideally for me an ARB in front and a Truetrac would not be a bad set up at all and Truetracs are cheaper then the ARBs.

Last edited:
If money was no issue, then I would probably opt for ARBs on both ends...

...and I do have a 242 and would like to keep that option open.

It has to be near-silky smooth on the street...

Since this affects cost I'll ask here.... Does installing the ARB or the Truetrac require adjusting the diff gears?? Or do you just take out the ring gear, install the unit, and pop it back in?

Back