• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone still drive to the trail?

I drive to all trails and so far have been able to drive it home after each event.

ia green96 said:
I swear, ever since I got the new tire's , we haven't a bit of snow. fricking mother nathure suck's
Dam I bet we have had 12-15 inches here in KC already and we are due for 4-6 more bu noon tomorrow. And yes I drive to the trail head. I dont need some 6' tall rig to have my fun.:jester:

I drive to the trail and back..I do take tools and spare parts :)
And I cant justify the extra cost of a tow rig

moparmatt said:
You drove yours to Kids in the Mudd twice when we went over the summer.

That's only a half hour drive though, and I had to catch a ride home to get the trailer at least twice from there this summer. heh It's sad really.

nope, not the trail rig...tho its plated and insured...

-company car for work and daily driving
-96 "baby" jeep for trips to the bar and liquor store and less than hour trips from home
-06 Megacab cumins for haulin duties and 1+hours trips away from home
-94 2500 dodge gas rig for dirty work w/ truck bed and eventually plowing
-and the trail rig

needless to say the diesel doesnt get drivin much...but its worth the peace of mind getting there and back...and ive towed with a bunch of junk...

mac 'each vehicle has a specific purpose...and my insurance guy loves me' gyvr

macgyvr said:
nope, not the trail rig...tho its plated and insured...

-company car for work and daily driving
-96 "baby" jeep for trips to the bar and liquor store and less than hour trips from home
-06 Megacab cumins for haulin duties and 1+hours trips away from home
-94 2500 dodge gas rig for dirty work w/ truck bed and eventually plowing
-and the trail rig

needless to say the diesel doesnt get drivin much...but its worth the peace of mind getting there and back...and ive towed with a bunch of junk...

mac 'each vehicle has a specific purpose...and my insurance guy loves me' gyvr

HAHA! Mac, your sign off quotes kill me! :worship:

I did the dd/weekend warrier for a couple years. But then I took a new job and was commuting 145 miles a day. So I sold my 2000 Camero SS and bought a DD car. Sold my wifes XJ and bought a tahoe and trailer. So my wife DDs the tow rig and I have my little gas saver hyundai(34mpg) for my dd but luckily my cummute is now 45 miles a day. But after I didn't drive the XJ everyday I went a little crazy with bigger lift and tires and made it not road worthy.

Still drive mine, if I am within 2 hours of home. Further than that, and I trailer it. XJ still gets better mileage than anything I have towed it with, so long as I don't break down, it is cheaper to drive it.

I'm going to do 22 hours to Moab, wheel all week and 22 hours back for FF08. I could trailer with the Expy, but I'd rather drive.

you going to make that drive on the LTB's?

I used to DD mine and drive it to the trail and back. Drove it to Tellico a couple times too. I just have more fun when I don't have to worry about driving the XJ home.

I think most people will agree...once you tow, you will always want to tow.

IntrepidXJ said:
I guess I'm one of the odd-balls. I went from towing to wanting a rig I could just get in and wheel without having to tow

Same here. I'm selling my tow rig because I miss driving my jeep. I've got it built up enough now that it handles great on the street and I don't have much to worry about on the trails. That is one of the nice things about cherokees, they are great all-around rigs.

That being said, I will be towing my jeep to winterfest behind the camper. Not because I don't want to drive the jeep, but because it is going to be too cold to sleep in a tent, and I can't drive the jeep and the camper at the same time.

I will be driving it to Moab for fall fling.

Pat said:
you going to make that drive on the LTB's?

Yep, unless I come across a set of MTs dirt cheap before then.

I'm with Randy also, I changed rigs so I had one I could drive to/from wheeling in relative comfort (A/C, nicer interior). I also drive my Expy daily and I get to drive the XJ when I go wheeling. Sure I could DD it, but the car seats are in the Expy and I'm lazy.

Comanchedude said:
I drive to the trail and back..I do take tools and spare parts :)
And I cant justify the extra cost of a tow rig

X2. Who needs a tow rig if you maintain your rig, carry the spare parts you'll need, and know how to fix your junk. Now that's jeepin!

Back