• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone recognise this hitch??

don't forget you need to specify whether you want a class I, II, or III hitch
(unless you already own a 1 1/4 bike rack or something there's no need to get anything other than a class III so you're towing options are open).

i installed hitches once for a summer job and trust me the cherokee is a very common application.

here's the "real" hidden hitch on an XJ:

87591-2.jpg

here's a good source of hitch info for many mfgs:

http://hitch-web.com

ARB make hitches here as well and now even supply Jeep dealers who sell them as Mopar's! They used to use Hayman Reese ones locally made, but that besides the point. What the ARB ones do is only use 2 fixings each side as well ( but looked further apart than those shown ) but also use the centre mount. If you only use 2 a side then the centre mount must also be used as was the case here too. These are actually rated 500 kgs higher than the three bolt a side ones without a centre mount hitches. I must say thought that the ARB ones brace there side angles and use pressed 5-6 mm steel as well for them as well as 76 mm RHS with 3 mm wall for the main support. Those pictures shown sure does not look like it is the same size. The centre mount is a pain to fit literary too as had scars on my hands for a week after fitting a couple in the same week. But it is good to know about the centre mount as how it increases the weight and might be something to think about if you haul some heavy stuff or for recovery. Maybe add it to a standard 3 bolt a side one for added strength.
I still think you are right in asking for a swap as you did not get what you ordered and possibly paid for. The construction does not look that good in the materials used for this hitch at all even if some of the design is right!

You should definitely get the class III HiddenHitch! I bought one for about $100 and installed it myself. It went on my 95 really easily without touching anything else (like the tank) and it's tough. Even with how its tucked right up there I've still managed to drop onto it a couple times and it didn't get damaged at all. I've also been hit from behind and the bumper only bent as far as the hitch and saved me some expensive repairs.:D
It's got 8 bolts holding it on, 4 on each side.

PapaPump said:
How about overkill? Does any company make a hitch that uses all three bolts and the certer mounting point?
Don't know of any aftermarket ones like that, but the original XJ hitches from the factory used that setup. Helped a friend strip a wrecked XJ and getting that center bolt out was not fun.

XJ_ranger said:
its not a draw tite...

good luck at the muffler shop.

what does the recipt say?

Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch are the same company... same hitch. Hidden Hitch does not mean the hitch is hidden - the departure angle might better on some. A class 3 hitch should have four bolts per side with appropriate frame plates for added strength.
Just my 2 cents.

Re: Anyone recognize this hitch??

these hitches are meant to be used with some factory straps like the front tow hooks have, correct? do the hitch companies sell these with the hitches, or do they expect that you will already have them or know to get them?

Re: Anyone recognize this hitch??

PapaPump said:
these hitches are meant to be used with some factory straps like the front tow hooks have, correct? do the hitch companies sell these with the hitches, or do they expect that you will already have them or know to get them?
The aftermarket companies give you a bag full of hardware that includes several thick, square (approx. 2" x 2") steel plates that you fish through the frame and drop the bolts down from above, rather than the bolts going up from below into a nut strip like the factory setup.

Back