• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any LS1 Owners?

I have a 96 LT1 TA convertable. Mint condition father inlaws old car. Bone stock. It gets great milage. Allways in the 20's. The thing about it is it has so much power that just putting it around you go fast. You don't have to beat it at all to be moving so it gets good milage. When you do get on it, it gets up so fast you are soon off the gas and just crusing again. It's a great fun car but it's not my style so we hardly even use the dam thing. I can say when we do drive it you just feel special. So I'd say if it's your dream car then go for it. Whatever you do don't get too cought up in making it or buying one that is a few tenths faster. You won't need a whole lot more than it allready has and you will enter a slippery slope of modifications you will never end. If you were closer I'd offer mine to you.

Valid point, but this was for a complete tank, computed by manually, not from computer FWIW.

So if it can get mid 20's, and I can gain ground by not insuring a teenage ricer (I haven't checked yet to see if I will, that definatly factors in) I may be able to swing it. Now the real question, how would one last? Im talking up towards 180K miles before I move on to something else. Other than normal wear and tear items, will a LS1 Camaro be able to take that kind of abuse?

I've got a 98 Z28 with the LS1. Haven't driven it lately, but I remember getting suprizingly good gas mileage, when I behaved myself. Mostly in town, stop and go, but it was around 18-20. With the 6th gear, on the highway, I'd imagine it does pretty well.

But like matt669 said, once you open it up, there's no point in watching the MPGs. But it is tons of fun.

I would estimate the LS1 to be durable as any other small block chevy would. The first LS1 was available in '97 in the 5th Gen Corvette (Camaro in '98 or '99) so you probably won't see any in that high mileage yet, but considering how people treat them and what can be done to a stock block in the terms of modification (I.E.: The LS7, 427 ci, is the same general block, same dimensions, some beefier webs etc. and 505 hp) I wouldn't think that those miles would be a problem.

Im looking at buying in the 60-80K range and putting ~100K on it before trading/selling. No matter what vehicle I get, thats the plan.

Mazdaspeed3 - I average 28mpg on highway which I guess isn't bad for a sporty car.

HawkZero said:
Mazdaspeed3 - I average 28mpg on highway which I guess isn't bad for a sporty car.

Im actually a fan of the car, just going to be a few years before it comes down into my price range. Although Im kinda over trying to mix FWD and sporty.

Since the forum is now open to non members Im curious if anyone else has an LS1 Camaro or similar, or pointers towards a car that cheap/powerful for a DD.

I have a 88 firebird with a 5.0 TBI L03. I get about 24 mpg. Its an auto so with a stick it would get better mileage. I have 114k miles on it and the valve seals leak a little. I have heard people swapping a LS1 or LS2 in one and getting 30+ MPG.

Back