• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Jersey jeepers who can help me?

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
Hi! I'm from Manchester New Jersey and I had my XJ for about 2 months now. It is a green 98 with 256,000 miles. I'm 20 and looking hard and long for a job. (fingers crossed everyday for a phone call to come). It's been a bit difficult to be able to pay for things (oil change, etc). I have a few minor (and I believe common problems) with the truck.

For one I believe a few of my bushings are worn gone. You can hear some noise when on the trails. I'm not too sure though. That is what I atleast can see and tell. (I gave it a bit of a shake down too). I have a noise that I have yet to figure out. When on the trail I sometimes here a slight rattle come from the front right of my truck.

I had to get pulled out of clay once (my mistake) and I accidentally put the tow strap around my steering stabilizer and outer tie rod. I have since then replaced the steering stabilizer and my dad "bent" back the tie rod as straight as he could. My alignment is pretty bad and pulls slight to the right while driving and to the left when braking hard. My front end wobbles (steering wheel shakes) at 55 mph+

I do believe I need a tune up. I havent been able to check my differential fluid yet. My oil is holding its place on the dipstick. And my ac does not work.

So basically I am asking any kind of help or guidance. I use this truck daily as I try to job hunt as well as see my girlfriend. Much appreciated, everybody.
:)

n1339830141_30225968_7500738.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

you don't live to far away from me i live in morgaville wich is about 30 miles away. if you ever come up this way give a shout

Dude I was under there the tie rod is fine ... you have other issues ... u have to get it aligned... that knock look @ the control arm bushings ...

and a steering stabilizer is not an answer its a band aid masking other issues ...

all i did was center ur wheel ... that would not have solved anything ... and i did it quickly no where near perfect

Last edited:
Dude I was under there the tie rod is fine ... you have other issues ... u have to get it aligned... that knock look @ the control arm bushings ...

and a steering stabilizer is not an answer its a band aid masking other issues ...

all i did was center ur wheel ... that would not have solved anything ... and i did it quickly no where near perfect
My tie rod was bent completely when I was stuck for the first time. My father heated it up and bent it back straight. I dont know how perfect that is, but the alignment was never the same since then. I have re-straightened my steering again. I know aligning the steering wheel doesnt fix anything other than the positioning. It's fine now. But I got stuck AGAIN in Lebanon State Forest a few nights ago where a wrangler pulled me out. My truck drives fine other than the wobble above 55+ now. I need to somehow get it aligned. I cant follow these guides for the driveway alignment.

My steering stabilizer snapped in half the first time I got stuck (a month ago) and has been replaced. I will look at my control arm bushings tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Trust me, the DIY allignment is super easy. There are only 4 things you can do:

1. Control Arm Adjusting - this will center your wheels in the wheel wells and adjust your caster angle. Since you have stock arms and no lift, this is a non-issue for you.

2. Track bar adjustment - this will center your axle from left to right. Again, you have a stock track bar and no lift ... a non-issue.

3. Tie rod - this is how you adjust toe-in (or toe out). As long as your tie rod ends aren't siezed up, this is super easy.

4. Drag-link adjustment - all this does is center your steering wheel.

I'd suggest searching around a bit on numbers 3 and 4.

But, I'd bet your wobble is coming from either bad tie rod ends, loose bolts, or bad bushings. None of that is too hard or expensive to fix.

Check out this diagram. Start by checking for lose control arms, track bar, or tie rod. There are a total of eight control arm bushings, two track bar bushings (one might actually be a tie rod end instead of a bushing), and four tie rod ends. Check them all out.

If it still wobbles, start checking u-joints and what not.

tjsteering(1).jpg

i not always busy if you want send me a pm before you come up. and check if there is any mud in your rims alittle wieght will throw them way off. start small

Find the Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station and apply for work there.
I don't know what type of work you do, but there are always opportunities out there.
Drop me a PM for more info...

I can help ya with the tune up (or at least take a look at your plugs and distributor cap/rotor to see if it needs replacing) and I will take a look at the A/C, though I only have basic A/C knowledge.

i not always busy if you want send me a pm before you come up. and check if there is any mud in your rims alittle wieght will throw them way off. start small
No more wobble. I dont know why I didnt realize the mud in my rims. (I feel stupid)

If Levittown not to far i can recharge a/c

I bought and returned a recharge kick not too long ago. My A/C does not need to be charged. I dont know what the issue is.
I can help ya with the tune up (or at least take a look at your plugs and distributor cap/rotor to see if it needs replacing) and I will take a look at the A/C, though I only have basic A/C knowledge.

Let me know when you are available. I will be camping in PA from Sunday to Wednesday. (I got a job interview at the Apple store wednesday!! :) )

I'm looking up and printing out a driveway alignment guide now.

Were abouts? Easy test for ac, run hot lead to ac comp see if it kicks in. If it does need to check pressure switch connections or ac relay under hood.

Were abouts? Easy test for ac, run hot lead to ac comp see if it kicks in. If it does need to check pressure switch connections or ac relay under hood.

Could you possibly come over tomorrow? I am leaving for my camping trip around 1:00 pm. I plan on trying to do a driveway alignment tomorrow morning. I am going to be getting up at 8. If anyone can help with the alignment It would be greatly appreciated. I am using the go jeep guide. I probably wont be able to check the forum again tonight. But you can call me (adam) at 732 341 0338. Disregard the answering machine (parents lol).

I got jackstands and some tools.

levittown to manchester nj
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....677068&sspn=31.509065,56.513672&ie=UTF8&z=10

Thats fine. I'll be home wednesday. I have the interview at 3:00 that day. I tried doing the driveway alignment this morning myself but I couldnt even budge the tie rod after I loosened the clamp. And my tired friend barely helped with the measuring.

So I got 69 degrees of air conditioning now :D and a few problems solved (some to be solved with time of course) Thanks to Dan for coming by with Mia. I'm supposed to be heading over there now but I never got his address. (I never got an email). Plus he inst picking up the phone. Any who. Pics.

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

yo, if you need some help in Whiting, my buddy "turtle" lives in Whiting and is one hell of a tech and fab work guy. Always wedging Big Block Chevys into things that they shouldn't be in. Has a 4 linked Dodge Dakota on 46"s with a rockwells and a BBC sitting in his yard now. He'll help ya out. He works at a shop on Lacey Rd as well.

Back