• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another high idle thread.. renix

ok bit the bullet and got the front and rear vac line clusters? not sure what they be called.also for this and my own peace of mind, new pos and neg battery cables. and ran ground straight to battery Neg from TPS ground. reads .2 Ohms. i quoted before .02 and that was incorrect, sorry for the mistake. my in the harness reading was 7.2 Ohms
still didnt get the rear head ground cleaned yet, looking at saturday morning for that.
i did get all the materials together to get rid of the bulkhead connector. even got old school LEAD solder even :) and heat shrink tubing.

Last edited:
One idle issue I had was never solved until I installed a 100% new vacuum harness front to rear. I have even seen a leaking/poor sealing/ valve cover gasket screw with the idle some. I finally installed the newer silicone VC gaskets, got sick and tired of cork leaks. Take my word for it, there is nothing like a complete new vac harness to make these jeeps purr. The smallest vac leaks play havoc with the idle and missing plugged vac lines are no help. IIRC Rock Auto (and Napa) had the complete hose sets pretty cheap 2-3 years ago, rockauto was a great buy and have had few idle problems since then, but I had done all the other stuff already.
new vac harness prices(from NAPA) as of 3/2016 are 28 dollars each for the front and same for the rear half. got mine on the way for me tonight

ok i have my high idle fixed now.
here is more of my story and my XJ.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1125903
here is my advice if you have a Renix that is running fine.
make a plan to do the following-- be active in doing it.
follow Cruiser 54's ground cleaning and refresh TO THE LETTER.
actively plan on removing the bulkhead connector if yours still has one.
besides the harness in the engine bay ground repairs , unwrap it and carefully inspect it for damage . make repairs as needed.
in particular the part that goes around the end of the intake and exhaust and down to the block temp sensor, and the knock sensor and the 02 sensor.
not sure if it matters, but inspect the pos and neg battery cables and be sure they are in undamaged condition.
the vac hose harnesses --it is a 2 part assembly make sure to replace both halves.
i suggest ditching the firewall/cylinder head ground strap and replace with a cable with soldered ends and attach it on the stud on the front of the head and back to the OEM location on the firewall. it is the EXACT same mount as the rear, but up front you can keep it clean and keep an eye on it better.
make sure the EGR is working.
if you get all these things done, when you have idle or shifting problems then your foundation is going to save you a lot of headache. i am guilty of learning this the hard way.

Back