• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am I right to pass on this '98 XJ?

HoratioTheJeep said:
Where?!! I could get a used Corolla, 220k miles, for $2880, yes, but I don't want that... who wants that?!! Even imports are falling apart by the time they're cheap enough for me to afford, & no rebuilds imports except maybe ricers.

A Corolla won't get me across the ditches on the 'mountain' (glorified hill, really) that my grandmother lives on in Arkansas (Ozark foothills). I help her up there clearing brush & hauling stuff. She doesn't have a truck anymore, & I just use my 2WD for now, but I'm afraid I'll get stuck (the 2WD doesn't have a winch, or even a hitch [yet]). Not to mention, if I want to waste my money on "expensive toys," pal, I'd rather pay for a Jeep that I can fix myself for cheap than a piece of archaic asian crap that costs $$$ to repair (even 'reliable' asian cars need maintanence and repairs when they get to 200k!). Come on. & a Corolla won't earn me extra $$$ pulling H2's (& Corollas) out of snowbanks/highway shoulders on the 3 days a year it gets icy down here.

I'm a Ph.D. student. I don't have 'finals' to get to. I go to the bloody library to do research, & if I can't get to the library, I buy books over the internet that are shipped to my door. And as I noted above, repairs on imports are expensive, & by the time an import is old enough to be cheap enough for me to buy, it will be needing repairs....

Know whereof you speak before you waste time & cyberspace criticizing what other people would like to spend their hard-earned money on. I can see I'm wasting my time asking for advice. All I get are platitudes about how I ought to spend my money. Good grief, I just want to have a decent 4x4 & I want to keep my 2x4 that I put so much work into. I want advice about the truck & what it's worth, not about my moral/financial/spiritual wisdom.

Since I'm giving you a hard time, Z22, I might as well mention, how could you possibly need to spend 1200 on fixing your brakes? How old is the thing? I'll bet you were shafted by the repair shop. If I were quoted that much, then I'd actually learn to fix my own brakes. You can buy whole rear disc brake conversion kits for $300 & install them yourself--how could it possibly cost 4 times that to do both front & rear (even including labor)? Why didn't you just sell your Jeep & buy a sedan? Hmm?

Yes 1200, was a lot, but like I said my brakes were shot to hell and back.
I do not have the time to learn how to do my brakes; if I did I would have not posted that in here. I was making a point that was all. Maybe I thought putting that in there would be helpful, as opposed to just preaching about how much they cost when vehicles get old, without giving examples.
Unfortunately I need my XJ for work, so there was nothing I could do. My usual guy who works on my Jeep is backed up for the next 2 weeks. He would have done it for a far cheaper price, and not screwed around with me.
We could even go into why it costs so much money fixing the Jeep. We make more money out here in Washington State, our minimum wage is far higher then that compared to the federal wage. 7.35 as opposed to 5.15 and it changes every year; so more money is leaving the pockets of businesses and into individuals, so prices must go up. I’m sure it all evens out in the way of percentages though.

For 3950 I could buy a Honda Accord, with 87,000 miles. That is even cheaper then the Jeep you’re looking at and 100,000 miles less. But since you already explained the conditions of the roads where you live, the subject of a sedan is not needed for me to go into anymore.

Wow, you must make a lot of money in the 3 days when the roads are icy, for you to put that in there. I can’t believe that justifies paying for something you’ll use “occasionally.” (But this is just a stupid comment so pay no attention to it)

Well I am sorry, I was not aware that being a Phd student was so easy. It must have been quite the chore to get to that point. (and no I am not being sarcastic). What are you getting a Phd in if you don’t mind me asking?

I was giving you advice about the truck. I am not sure how I was giving you advice on moral/spiritual wisdom. Maybe financial but you were asking if the truck was worth it for that price, and our thoughts about it. I’m afraid we can’t help without going into how old that truck is and what its going for. I am sorry; I was just trying to be helpful. I thought maybe you weren’t thinking about that, but since you are basically free to do whatever with school that no longer applies. It more likely deals with someone in a four year institution, who will need to worry about those sorts of things.
You must really hate imports, you kept going into how they need repairs, but don’t forget that with a Jeep with that many miles it is not any better then an import. The only plus with an import is they are smaller and have far less parts to replace, as opposed to a big 4x4. But hey I love my 4x4 even if they do cost me more money, once I have enough time on my hands I’ll learn how to fix em myself.

Well, since you are asking us about the truck and what its worth. I’d say it’s a bad buy for that price. Actually it’s a bad buy with that many miles period, unless you know the previous owner and how well they either took care or didn’t of the Jeep.
Gee maybe next time I will just say this, rather then trying to be a little more helpful.

Last edited:
Z22_Z33 said:
Yes 1200, was a lot, but . . . Maybe I thought putting that in there would be helpful, as opposed to just preaching about how much they cost when vehicles get old, without giving examples.
Except your example is fallacious. It should not cost $1200 to overhaul Jeep brakes, unless Bill Gates' personal mechanic is doing the work, or unless the gov't is paying for it. I had to pay $400 for a $200 brake job once, so I understand you were in a predicament. But you admitted yourself that the figure is inflated b/c you would normally have taken it to a cheaper mechanic:
Z22_Z33 said:
My usual guy who works on my Jeep is backed up for the next 2 weeks. He would have done it for a far cheaper price, and not screwed around with me.
And my point is, it does not normally cost that much to do any work on a Jeep, even when you're paying a shop to do it for you. I got my rear main oil seal replaced (a 5-hour job!) for $300 here in Dallas (the seal itself costs less than $20). I could have done it myself, if I had time (this is while I was still attending classes), but $300 for 5 hours of work is a decent price!

Jeeps are simple machines compared to late model SUV's & late model import sedans. I mentioned you could do the work yourself b/c that's how easy it is to work on Jeeps, not b/c I think you need to learn how. My point is, even a shop mechanic has no business charging you that much money to work on a vehicle that is 5 times easier to work on than any other vehicle. But shops charge a flat labor rate of so many $$ per hour--they charge you the same for 3 hrs of work on an XJ as they would if they spent 3 hrs on a Jaguar or a Porsche. Furthermore, Jeep parts are cheap & widely available; import parts (even for Hondas & 'Yotas) are a little more expensive, & sometimes scarce. Of course, there are plenty of import parts at junkyards, for the DIY mechanic.

I'm much more comfortable working on my Jeep than on my Buick (& the Buick, a 1992 Century, is still less complicated than an import). In fact, one reason I want a second Jeep is b/c I can diagnose & repair one of those better than I can the Buick.
Z22_Z33 said:
For 3950 I could buy a Honda Accord, with 87,000 miles. That is even cheaper then the Jeep you’re looking at and 100,000 miles less.
Best deal I can find on an Accord is one w/95k miles, 1992 model year, for $2700. A _typical_ Accord in the $5000 range within 100 miles of my area would have 150k miles, based on internet searches. If I didn't want 4WD, I might consider that Accord. I'd prefer a Civic or Corolla, however, b/c I've driven them & prefer them over the Accord. Civics seem to be more reliable (& more expensive). Maybe I'm wrong. Doesn't matter though, unless I can sell my 2WD XJ ('96 with 112k miles) after I get the 4WD XJ, in which case I might consider getting an Accord (the Buick we have gets only 19mpg, so I'd rather have an import that gets 25-30mpg).
Z22_Z33 said:
You must really hate imports, you kept going into how they need repairs, but don’t forget that with a Jeep with that many miles it is not any better then an import.
I don't hate imports. For 2WD they're fine, & I'd prefer them over most domestics. I just don't want you to live under the illusion that imports never need repairs. From the research I've done, import cars are more 'reliable' in the sense that their drivetrains run longer than most domestics--but they still require maintenance, & they still break down--it's just that their drivetrain holds together longer, so imports are cheaper in the long run. The Jeep 4.0L engine & the Aisin-Warner 4 automatic tranny (an asian-made tranny) hold together just as long. I can fix most of the Jeep non-drivetrain stuff myself, except I don't have the tools for some of the things. Check out www.carsurvey.org & just compare the Jeep XJ Cherokees to the imports.
Z22_Z33 said:
The only plus with an import is they are smaller and have far less parts to replace, as opposed to a big 4x4.
Uh, no. They _are_ smaller, but they do not really have fewer parts. Front-wheel drive adds complications that rear-wheel drive doesn't have (e.g. CV joints & output shafts on both ends of the engine, meaning more seals that can go bad, more moving parts, etc.). Moreover, the electronics required to make those little engines so efficient make it hard for the home mechanic to diagnose & repair problems involving electrical components. Granted, CV joints are sometimes used on Jeeps, but they don't have to differentiate the engine's power in quite the way they do in FWD cars, & a lot of jeepers just remove the CV joints. Any work on the driveaxle on a FWD will cost more than popping the shafts out of a RWD or 2WD (as far as I know, maybe I'm wrong). And, those engines are so tightly jammed in there that sometimes it's hard even to change spark plugs. AND I don't have a ramp or lift to put a little car on when I want to change the oil--w/the XJ it's already got high enough ground clearance I can just slide under there with an oil pan & get the job done in 10 minutes.

When you say imports have fewer parts, I assume you're referring to the absence of 4WD on the imports. As you know, I need a 4WD. Still, have you ever looked at the Jeep 4WD? It's very simple (which is why it's so reliable). The most troublesome parts in the 4WD system, I believe, would be the front driveshaft u-joints, but u-joints are cheap parts, they just seem to fail a lot--I just don't know whether I have the tools to replace them. I've worked on differentials, they're just a bunch of gears, & the transfer cases are either gear- or chain-driven, not like an auto transmission (late-model & import 4WD's are more complicated [even the Grand Cherokees Quadra-Trac system is more complicated than the XJ systems], such that their t-cases are like little auto trannies).

I can get a '91 XJ 4x4 for $2500 w/116k miles. That's cheaper than your Accord deal. As I mentioned in three of my posts above, I'll probably buy the '91 instead of the '98 I originally posted about. The '91 is in much better condition than the '98.
Z22_Z33 said:
Well I am sorry, I was not aware that being a Phd student was so easy. It must have been quite the chore to get to that point. (and no I am not being sarcastic). What are you getting a Phd in if you don’t mind me asking?
It's 'easy' in the sense I'm finished taking classes. That doesn't mean I don't have work to do. Now I have to work on my dissertation, which is a book-length study I have to write, that will define my career (whether I like it or not), including my marketability. Colleges will not offer me a job unless they have an opening specific to my field, & they will judge me by my dissertation (in part). I have to read all the major studies previously written on the subject, plus most of the minor studies (which is why I say I just go to the libraries & have books delivered; I just have to read & analyze & take notes on everything that could have any impact on my own study). I am also required to read foreign-language literature that has any bearing on my dissertation. I read German, Spanish, Italian & Latin literature (I can also speak Spanish & Italian pretty well, but my focus is on reading). I am expected to write short essays for publication, deliver lectures, & sometimes attend conferences. I don't have to travel much, anymore. The only 'finals' I have left are: publishing my book & giving an oral defense of my dissertation before a board of professors from my university.

In the meantime, I work part-time (22 hrs/week) for the Dept. of Homeland Security, Trial Litigation for Immigration & Customs Enforcement--mostly I assist attorneys like a clerk would, & I'm also considered a sort of secretary, though I don't answer phones.

My Ph.D. will be in English Literature. The details & requirements of my degree are here (I don't like the way the website is written--it sounds too pretentious--but the basic info is there): http://www.udallas.edu/braniff/pprogram.cfm

Right now, I'm as happy as I've been in a long time b/c I DON'T have classes to go to. I can (kind of) 'afford' to spend time & money on a Jeep. So, whether it's a toy or a workhorse, don't worry about whether I'll make it to class on time.

Z22_Z33 said:
I was giving you advice about the truck.
Sort of. You said you would distrust the general drivetrain/4WD components. I already looked at that stuff, & even reported on it in my initial post.

I accept your point, but I'm actually not too worried about that stuff, except the engine. The underbody was clean, the diffs weren't leaking, the 4WD worked. Like I said above, the 4WD is simple. The tranny could cost as much as $1000 to rebuild, but I could get a whole, used tranny from a junkyard or Jeep-restoration dealership (www.collinsbrosjeep.com) for $500-$600 & have it installed for $200 or less, or install it myself. An engine rebuild would cost more. In fact, if I do a rebuild, I'll be stroking it out to 4.7L, & that will cost upwards of $2000. If the '98 were being sold for $2000, I'd buy it in a heartbeat b/c I'd still have $3000 & more left to make it into a stroker (but I wouldn't do it unless the engine failed). The stuff that was really bad on that '98 was the electronics (pwr locks were not all working), & one door won't close well & one door is missing a part. That's where you really see the effect of 186k miles.

I was looking for advice specific to 1998 XJ's. You know, stuff I wouldn't already know. For example, RichP pointed out that '98 XJ's are sensitive to being low on gas, esp. when making a sharp turn, & that's probably what caused it to hesitate when I took it out for a test drive--the dealer keeps the level of gas low to save money & to prevent people f/stealing his Jeeps, I guess. I think RichP is right, & that the hesitation was not a serious engine problem--then again I can't be sure, esp. w/that many miles on it.

Z22_Z33 said:
am not sure how I was giving you advice on moral/spiritual wisdom.
I was indulging in hyperbole, or exaggeration, using rhetoric to make a point. I'm trying to tell you it's impolite for you to come here & tell me I have no business wanting a 4WD when you don't even know what I want it for. I've noticed that many people on jeep forums are like that--they automatically think that everyone that comes here asking about buying an XJ doesn't know that Jeeps are gas guzzlers, & have eccentricities like bad oil pressure sensors & bad TPS's, etc., & just might not be the vehicle for them. I told everyone I already have a 2WD. I had to put a lot of money & labor into it at first, but it's been so reliable that I'd rather pay a lot for gas (versus an import) than pay a lot for parts & labor (as I would with an import) that I can do myself on the Jeep, esp. since I learned so much w/the first Jeep. Plus a Jeep is fun.

Z22_Z33 said:
but since you are basically free to do whatever with school that no longer applies. It more likely deals with someone in a four year institution, who will need to worry about those sorts of things.
Believe it or not, I appreciate what you're saying. I took college-level classes for 8 years. As a perpetual student, I've certainly been there, done that, but I've really only missed class one time (in 8 years) due to vehicular problems, & it was my own fault. It's a funny story. I started taking parts off the XJ one day, then found I didn't have the right tools to install the new parts (I actually don't remember what the parts were, now, something about not having the right socket, or buying the wrong tranny oil after draining the tranny fluid). Anyway, I tried to do some maintenance before class & stranded myself at home. Had to wait for my wife to come home so I could take her car to the parts store.

But Ph.D. students generally are ready to move out on their own in terms of how & what they study. They no longer attend classes in order to jump thru hoops & prove that they can analyze texts. They've already done that for 4-8 years of college & masters-level classes before they begin a Ph.D. program.

Z22_Z33 said:
Well, since you are asking us about the truck and what its worth. I’d say it’s a bad buy for that price. Actually it’s a bad buy with that many miles period, unless you know the previous owner and how well they either took care or didn’t of the Jeep.
Gee maybe next time I will just say this, rather then trying to be a little more helpful.
I'd rather you say, "I have a '98, it is/is not reliable, has this much mileage & here's why...." and "since my '98 is still running strong at 220k miles, there's at least a chance that the '98 you're looking at, if it's been well-cared for, may continue to run for another 40k miles" I'm young & stupid but I still have enough experience to consider questions like whether the previous owner took good care of the Jeep or not. As it happens, I suspect most of the damage/defects occurred on the storage lot at Carmax (Carmax auctions cars off to dealers, & that's how this dealer got the '98). Sometimes dealers will cannibalize parts off one Jeep in order to repair & sell another. I watched this guy take the brake master cylinder out of a beat-up XJ & put it in a newer one, once.

If you've read this far--I will say this: I apologize for overreacting. Please understand that I have experience with Jeeps & have chosen them above imports for a host of reasons, & I don't need to go into all those reasons here. I have specific needs & desires, & a limited budget. I'd like to get a 4WD XJ for under $3000, so that I have reserve funds of $2000 in case something goes wrong (i.e., the total I can/want to spend is $5000). I know that this kind of Jeep is out there (unfortunately, they're hard to find in N Texas). I COULD buy the '98, but if I did, & something went horribly wrong, then I'd suddenly have a giant $5000 paperweight. On the other hand, if the '98 would last at least another 40,000 miles, by then I'd have enough money to repair it/rebuild the engine if something major went wrong. Once I have a 'reliable' 4WD, I'll sell my wife's car & probably my 2WD so I can buy her a decent car--probably an import, if that tells you anything. I could get a nice import by selling her Buick & my 2WD XJ... so don't worry about all that, just tell me what I need to know about '98 XJ's--how far will they run, what usually goes wrong with them?

OK?

Alright, I'll shut up now. How difficult is it to get a major in English, so I can write as well as you? Being able to form my thoughts more clearly, and know before hand what a potential reader knows, or is thinking before writing.
I think most of us on the net are young and stupid, and due to the anonymous feeling of the net, we write with no worries, saying what first comes to mind. And our experiences with our areas, we believe are the same everywhere else. Just from the sheer number of people around here you can find cars being sold for a lower cost. Then where you live at; where there happens to be a smaller volume of vehicles for sale.
I am sorry if you got the impression; of me saying you had no right wanting a 4wd. I already explained myself in my last post to why I said it wouldn’t be a good idea.
I was not aware that these 4wd systems in our Jeeps are so easy to work on and last one hell of a long time, if taken care of properly.
I could talk some more but as I said to begin with “I’ll shut up now.”

P.S. Seeing how it’s almost spring, well summer out here in Western Washington, you could wait a while to see if the right Jeep comes up. But I am unaware of your weather down there at those times of the year, if a 4wd drive is really needed. Due to the number of Jeeps for sale out here I found a good buy for the same price you’re looking at very quickly, A 95 with 80,000 miles for 5,000 dollars. I've put 40,000 on her and in the past 3 months happens to be the only problems I've had, but it was just routine maintenance with this many miles on her now. (brakes, water pump, u joints, and cracked exhaust manifold, which still needs fixing, but the money is gone for that project at the moment.)
The 91 one you were talking about, sounds like the best deal expect for the distance, both in getting there and seeing its crap, and having to drive it back with no guarantees of getting to your destination. The exhaust manifolds are prone to failure so you may want to look at that.
Here is a website listing the history of the XJ if that will be any help.
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/articles/46011/article.html
It doesn’t go into detail about the reliability, but mainly what mechanical and safety changes there was.
Only problem with the first generation of the XJ are lack of cup holders, if that’s a selling point. If you live in a hilly area, do not buy the aftermarket cup holder that fits over the parking brake. With the cup holder there it will not fully engage, and they are also only good at holding coke cans or something the same radius.
I apologize as well. I lived with mainly my mom and 2 sisters for most of my life (I'm 20 now, so not much of a life I've lived so far, ah only another month and I can drink my problems away, I'm being sarcastic if no one else gets it, about the drinking part that is.), so I like having the last word, and hell who knows what else is wrong withme. Next time I leave a post; I'll leave it short and sweet, and not say another word.

Last edited:
Back