• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Help!!!

XJ96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ sport with a 3" lift and 31's. I went off-roading and got stuck, yea yea, in about 4' of water. The next day the alternator was not charging the battery at all. I replaced it. Next day went off-roading again and now the alternator is not charging the battery again. Fuses are fine and connections look good. I took it off cleaned it up and took it back to Advance Auto Parts and told them they sold me a crapy alternator. They connected it to a machine and said it was working fine. I put it back in my Jeep and it is not hold voltage. Voltage regulator?? Is that internal or external of the alternator?? Any other suggestions??

1996? External - the HO alternators (Nippondenso units) are actually regulated by the PCM. No, I don't know why ChryCo does that, either...

Not only check all connections physically attaching to the alternator, but check your grounds as well. If there is a ground from the moulded rubber block that connects to the alternator case - clean it. If there is not, make sure the mounting bracket is clean and make sure the engine ground to the battery is also clean - it's literally amazing how many automotive electrical problems I've traced to shonky grounds...

Granted, getting an AZ alternator may not have been the best bet - and their "testing" equipment isn't all that great, either. There's a very good reason I tend to deal with smaller shops - I only get fluids at larger chains, because their prices are better and the droids can't screw those up!

5-90

XJ96XJ said:
Thanks guys. So in order to fix a regulator problem I would have to replace my PCM?

Theoretically, yes. However, if you are not subject to periodic/idiotic emissions inspections, I've done a writeup on using a Prestolite marine regulator to bypass the PCM regulator circuit - it's an easy install, but it WILL set a CEL/MIL and a hard code, and you will not be able to clear it permanently without getting a new/reman PCM...

If you go to my site (link in sig,) there are links to the writeup in the San Jose Generator section and in the Tech index, if you're game...

5-90

ok nevermind, I searched some stuff. I think I am gonna try and get another alternator and stick it in the XJ and if it does not work then I am guessing I am going to have to do some regulator work. 5-90, could you give me a link to that page about using that marine regulator, with instructions to do it. I can't find it on your homepage. Thanks.

Yeah. Any suggestions on good terminals to connect to? And do you mean I need to splice into the wires of that terminal or just connect the regulator to an open connector in the engine bay?

If you're talking about the Prestolite regulator, you'll only need to tap into OEM wiring in one place - which wire to tap into will depend upon your model year (I need to unpack my FSMs before I can help - but if you tell me your year, I can let you know if I have one.)

The regulator needs to connect to a "Hot in RUN" wire to sense system voltage. I'd have to ask to see about making it an "independent" setup for OBW only - it would probably be easier to use a Delco "one-wire" alternator, tho, since it senses off of its own output. I'll make a note to ask Rod about both.

5-90

You'd get a code set by OBD if you tried to (same one you'd get with the Prestolite regulator, and for the same reason.) Also, I think the mounting is a bit different - I've not had a chance to take mesurements just yet. I should do so sooner or later tho - if only to figure out how to stomp up a bracket that would allow an alternator mount (probably in place of the A/C compressor, if an AMC150 bracket isn't available...)

Aside from that, you can just get a "one-wire" Delco, mount it up, and call it good.

5-90

You order it from Rod/San Jose Generator. Click the link in my sig, take the "San Jose Generator" link from the index, and go from there.

Haven't gotten him convinced to use a "shopping cart" yet - so you'll need to call him. Prices are on the site as well - and current as of yesterday (when I talked to him last.)

5-90

XJ96XJ said:
Thanks for all your man, just ordered it today.

Ah no, thank you! It took some doing for me to talk him into doing mail-order, the more we can order from him (telling him it comes from the page,) the more I can talk him into doing later! So, if anyone has any ideas, email them to me, and I'll bring them up with Rod when I think we've got the leverage!

I keep track of all sorts of things for future reference, and I'd like to see about expanding our own options for stuff. That's why I do all of this...

And, if you have any ideas for directions that WiP should go (probably more in small parts and electronics - I'm not kitted up for fab work just yet...) I'd like to hear those as well.

5-90

All you need is a terminal that is "Hot in RUN" only. You'll need to source a small amount of current - but, more than anything else, you'll need to sense system voltage.

My 1996FSM is going to be packed up for another week or so, but if someone else here has one, they might be able to point you in the right direction. I plan to add a small number of useful leads once I get things unpacked...

5-90

i installed that volt reg and it still does not work. i wired it into the fuel pump relay...the red wire...the check engine light does not come on if i charge the battery with another car and get it started...any suggestions??

Back