• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Deals?

Sling hook is basically what I have, a safety hook is harder to open/ close and self locks. If you were actually wheeling more I would recommend the safety hook, but I find them tedious.

Your call.

-Alex

My Jeep has been sitting in my garage for about 2 and a half weeks now:tear:, just bought an optima battery to replace the old stock battery thinking that was my problem. Well it isnt, my battery gauge or whatever it is in the jeep is reading all the way at the bottom. past 9 on the gauge. so my alternator is craped out, looking at alternators from NAPA, they were quoting me around $175 for a new one...

My question is, is there anywhere i can find a replacement for cheap, or cheaper than $175?? I'm low on money and about ready to go to pull a part to get a new one...

What are my options?

Thanks,
Keil

Baxter auto part in Portland
Ask for nick(me) and ill hook you up.

I've got a couple of used ones, I have a freshly rebuilt one, or I can get you a deal on a reman. unit. Like Eli said, call me tomorrow :)

John

John can you go over the basics on this with these guys? Check the wiring, battery cables, etc. What a warranty provides and the difference between the various offereings (dealer, jobber store, retail store, recycler, etc.). This whole thread sounds like about 50% of the options are unknown and the testing of the charging system and the effects of the individual pieces on the system are mysterious. Anything to educate the public.

Thanx!

I paid $70-something for the remanufactured alternator I bought at Schmucks about a year ago. And it was a pain in the ass to get in and out. Mine failed on a snow run down off Tinkham, noticed the gauge was reading around 9-10 at rpm, pretty much nothing at idle. High-tailed it home, left it running in the parking lot at Shucks when I ran in and bought the reman one, by the time I was turning off the main drag into my neighborhood the tach and speedo had both shut down.

I keep a spare alt in on my trailer. I think I paid maybe $5 from a u-pull it. I had it tested and it is great. Just sitting there in case someone needs one on the trail.

When my alt went out I took it to R&L electric in Bellevue. I had them build it as large as possible with all new internals, small pulley, etc. IIRC I think it is over 185amp output and it has been great for years (I can't remember what I paid but it was probably around $100 or so).

I considered getting the larger housing GM alt and you can make them fit with some re-work and you can get them more redily for less money (high amp styles) than what normally comes on the XJ. You can search these on Naxja and find more.

Personally, I have probably had well over a dozen alt re-built by R&L in Bellevue and other similar places in other states and I have always been very happy with the work and the price.

Much better than the crap I have had from Schucks and similar in the past.

Just my .02
Michael

When my alt went out I took it to R&L electric in Bellevue. I had them build it as large as possible with all new internals, small pulley, etc. IIRC I think it is over 185amp output and it has been great for years (I can't remember what I paid but it was probably around $100 or so).

I considered getting the larger housing GM alt and you can make them fit with some re-work and you can get them more redily for less money (high amp styles) than what normally comes on the XJ. You can search these on Naxja and find more.
I need more amps so I might take mine up there and let them have a shot at it. Seems a lot cheaper than a mean green.

I need more amps so I might take mine up there and let them have a shot at it. Seems a lot cheaper than a mean green.

They were able to get everything possible out of that little housing and it has been great. IF I were to do it over, I probably would have went with the bigger housing (much better cooling) and did the extra work to make it fit.

Either way, I have had nothing but great success with the rebuilt alt and it's performance.

Michael

Back