• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative energy tech

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Last edited:
ww_gi_hug-tree.jpg
:D

BTW: I agree that we should of have been weaned off the oil tit a long time ago.
And if the algae stuff works, then good for it, and good for us. :thumbup:

Great article here on the battery tech sector, and its markets.

Interesting.

I wonder if Achmad the Terrorist knows that LI-ION batterys go up like Sodium when the cells are damaged :D

If we use all the Algie for our fuel, what will we grow in our lakes?

Ron

Algae biofuel is the future. We have a lot of hardware that will require hydrocarbons long after oil runs out.

Yep, I actually have a bunch of stock in one of the algae sleeper companies. Expecting its price to go into orbit this week, making it a true GREEN stock.:D

you really should look into some geothermal companies. It's been out for a while but its really starting to actually get seriously looked at by both new home builders and people looking to upgrade their existing heating cooling systems. Lots of potential.

you really should look into some geothermal companies. It's been out for a while but its really starting to actually get seriously looked at by both new home builders and people looking to upgrade their existing heating cooling systems. Lots of potential.

You mean like US Geothermal Inc.? (Stock symbol HTM) I bought stock in them earlier this year.

Mike, do you happen to know why wind turbines are sized/shaped the way they are? I'm sure there is a theory or study out there - just wondering why they are more propeller shaped rather than a shape that would "catch" more air....

Mike, do you happen to know why wind turbines are sized/shaped the way they are? I'm sure there is a theory or study out there - just wondering why they are more propeller shaped rather than a shape that would "catch" more air....

DO you mean propeller shaped vs the dutch windmill shape ? I think it has to do with speed and height off the ground. The dutch or what I call the dutch type is super high torque for grinding or milling they also don't require any kind of gearing or reduction. Kind of cool, I've seen a few working mills up in new england.
There are also horizontal wind mills that are starting to become popular, made by a car parts manufacturer, been posted here before.

Here are a couple of reasons as to why windmills are engineered with the long skinny blades that they have:

1. Noise. With the long skinny blades, revolutions per minute are limited to lower overall speeds. This cuts down on noise.

2. Torque. If blades took up a larger face area, torque that would be applied to the windmill's base and foundation would be increase tremendously if a strong gust of wind were to hit the blades. This plays into the geotechnical engineering of the windmill's base and foundation. As it is, the forces that are acting on the windmill's base and tower are incredible and already engineered to withstand some huge forces. Even larger forces would be unsafe without incrementally large increases in the cost of construction and materials.

Helix wind has an interesting design.

http://www.helixwind.com/en/

Mechanical engineering is not my strongest area, but I would guess power and torque and maxed out by going with large diameter narrow blades. WHY? Don't have clue. What, just dawned on me, simple physics, leverage, torque is the answer. Force times distance of the lever equals torgue IIRC.

Helix wind has an interesting design.

http://www.helixwind.com/en/

Mechanical engineering is not my strongest area, but I would guess power and torque and maxed out by going with large diameter narrow blades. WHY? Don't have clue. What, just dawned on me, simple physics, leverage, torque is the answer. Force times distance of the lever equals torgue IIRC.

I was talking about the moment at the foundation. Increase the face area and you will increase the moment at the base of the windmill. Longer, thinner blades aren't as sensitive to the gusts of wind that fatter blades would be sensitive to, and there for better for a structural design.

I was talking about the moment at the foundation. Increase the face area and you will increase the moment at the base of the windmill. Longer, thinner blades aren't as sensitive to the gusts of wind that fatter blades would be sensitive to, and there for better for a structural design.

Of course, otherwise the dutch style would not look like it does. Fat bottom, thinner top. But then people used to live in them too.

Back