• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"airgas man" = snap-on tool man for welding supplies?? Auto darken helmets, opinions?

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
"airgas man" = snap-on tool man for welding supplies?? Auto darken helmets, opinions?

Ok, I'm taking a metal working class at school and apparently we get a nice educational discount on supplies as students in the class. My teacher said that the "airgas" guy was stopping by and we're allowed to buy whatever we want. He quoted me a top of the line auto-darkening helmet at approx. 100$. I hate my miller helmet 'cause it's old and doesn't stay up when you put it up. I've got the 100$, are the auto-darkenings worth it? I've heard differeing opinions from different people, what are yours?? Thanks

Ary

Also, I'm getting good welding gloves. Is there anything else I should consider picking up while I have the opportunity? Thanks again

I love my auto darkening helmet. For a recreational welder like myself, it's real nice. Also, many times I'm welding in tight, hard to get to places on my rig, and the auto darkening feature makes it much easier. For a much more experinced welder, who has the head flip down pat, it might not be such a big deal, but to me it is.

Buy it! :)

Every professional welder I have worked with for the last 2 years uses a auto darkening hood. However the hoods they use run over 300 bux. If you can get a auto darkening hood with a full size lense and a sensitivity adjustment on it for a hundred bux do it. I would get a leather welding coat while you are at it. I hardly ever use mine, but when I need it is a life saver (unless you like the feeling of molten metal sizzling in your belly button( us fat guys are at a disadvantage cuz our belly buttons are deeper to catch those little buggers)). If the 100 dollar hood Isn't a good name brand (speediglass, Optrel, Miller, Jackson, Hobart...etc) go with a flip down. I bought a cheaper Hobart hood that works awesome with my wire feed or stick welder, but now that I bought a TIG welder it isn't sensitive enough to darken if I am welding thin stuff. Have fun :D

auto-darkening helmets keep going down in price....

i dunno, I could have the company buy me the baddest-ass auto-darkening helmet money could buy, and yet, my favorite helmets are the cheapest nod-downs.....I like my big viewing glass though, cigweld or jackson comes to mind....

just to keep things affordable for you, maybe you could start off with a cheapie, just to get you going, and ask for the auto-dark for x-mas or birthday!

airgas is a good compnay. I use three of four vendors for welding supply, bought a welding machine from them not too long ago....

I'm sure the airgas dude is gonna bring you guys the big airgas catalog.....but just so you know, for every airgas out there, are a hundred other supply co's wanting your money just as bad. I shop all my vendors for every order I make, and the prices are always fluctuating.....on-line supply such as welding-mart and weldingsupply.com come to mind......

sorry for the ramble.

cyberweld.com is a decent one also. Unless you're getting a 60% discount, that hood isn't a top of the line model.

Learn how to flip your hood. That way you can use your welding skills elsewhere than your garage, unless you think you're going to carry your auto dark with you always. I've got 2 flips and an auto dark. I rarely use the auto, but it's a lifesaver when I need it.

I second the welding jacket. I'm not into the all leather ones though, they're too hot in the summers and too heavy always.

With all that being said, one day I'll buy that ultra bad ass auto and I'll probably never use anything else unless I'm welding on the trail. Of course, if you wheel with Chark, he carries his with him cuz he's just an amature :D

Sean

Ok, well he told me that the base helmet is 28$ or so, and the auto lens is approx. 100$ I get to look at it before I get it, and I'm going to the store to pick it up, so I can talk to the guy about it before hand. Are there certain specs I should look for? I've been using my flipup miller for the summer, and it really needs replacing. I made my whole bumper with a hand-held mask, so I can deal, I just have the money for once. Thanks

Ary

i don't care how good of a welder you are, but laying nice beads is a two-handed thing......kinda sux when you have to hold a hand-held mask! you'll do well with one that fits on yo' head.....

funny thing about head-nodding.....I've been welding since I was 9 years old......I've only used nod-downs (not flip glass) I am SOOOO used to head-nodding, that every once in a while I'll put on an auto-dark, and have it in the down position, and I'll still head nod.....even more ridiculous-looking, is when I'm about to tack a part, and I'll head-nod my mask down, and I won't have one on my head! Looks totally stupid, I get busted by other guys in the shop all the time.

ont he protection issue, I like arm sleeves....I don't like those aqua blue ones....I like the thicker yellow ones better....if I can remember the brand, i'll post it

I'm a victim of the hapless head nod also. Sucks when you hurt your neck cuz you whipped your head back and there was nothing on it :rolleyes: My flip down jackson with full view cost me $20 at my local welding shop. It's my favorite and most comfortable helmet so far.

OneTonXJ said:

With all that being said, one day I'll buy that ultra bad ass auto and I'll probably never use anything else unless I'm welding on the trail. Of course, if you wheel with Chark, he carries his with him cuz he's just an amature :D

Sean

What's da matta wit you guys? You don't have enough storage room in your rigs to carry a welding helmet? They don't weigh much...... :D

It seems like every trip I go on I weld on somebody's rig, so I carry the helmet. The last trip I had to weld on mine. :rolleyes:

One thing to add here....the flip down is the best for new welders. I have tried to show rookies how to set a point then flip down......it takes practice to get good at it. The autos save a bunch of time on the learning curve.....
Spend as much as you can .....you will never regret it!!!!

I am very much a "recreational" welder, as Goatman expressed it. When I took an adult ed welding class, I found it was difficult to see where to start the arc, and I did NOT have the knack of starting a bead and then flipping down the face shield before going blind. The auto-dark helmets are a God-send for "welders" like me.

I agree. The autodark hood really improved my welds. I had a flip maskwith a #10- shield and switching to lesser expensive autodark #10 shield which really helped my MIG welds. I am an amateur, but I noticed a BIG difference in my work.

If you are stick welding with the #10 lense, try using an 11 or 12. It blocks more of the white light from the arc, and allows you too see the weld pool much better. It improved my welding greatly when I went to a #12 lense. Of course it gets really annoying carrying that slag hammer around and never using it cuz the damn slag keeps curling up behind my welds :D

Goat, I prefer the double sunglasses method, just ask No Wheeler :D

I like Hinkley's leather hood for storage issues. I'm not a fan of the flip lenses though. If I actually had an OBW, I'd probably carry my jackson.

Welding

Finally,a topic I can actually comment on.
Auto darkening,or speed lens,as they are called,are great.
When they first came out,they were high dollar items,they weere battery powered and if the battery wasn't strong enough,they wouldn't work.
Now the biggest majority are solar powered,and you can buy adapters for almost any hood on the market.
I have seen only the adapters for the smaller lenses,and don't think anyone makes an adapter that operates the larger ones.
As far as protective clothing,there is a varirty of jackets,hats,gloves ,sleeves,and the list goes on.
Best thing to do would be to talk to your local welding supply and ask questions even if they're stupid.
ABOVE ALL,SAFETY IS THE KEY WORD THE WELDING PROCESS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS IF YOU HAVE "HEAD UP BUTT SYNDROME"
EYE PROTECTION MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES,WELDING FLASH AIN'T FUN, AND CAN REALLY SCREW UP YOUR ABILITY TO "READ PLAYBOY AND HUSTLER JUST FOR THE ARTICLES"
Other than that,GOOD LUCK

Jackson has an adaptor for the large screen. I was eyeing it the other day at my local welding supply. I'd just buy another shell though since it's only $14 without the lenses.

"Goat, I prefer the double sunglasses method, just ask No Wheeler"

Ya...ifn he asks ya to borrow some shades, and ya loan him your bling-bling Gargoyles, make sure they are the 'inner' pair...or better yet, tell him "wait one" and fetch the cheapie pair out of the Jeep.

Ok I strated ou with a cheapo jachson And i still keep it in my f-450 at work for aback up or when a helper wants to watch then I got a nice huntsman and for beeing a fixed flip down its one of the best. but when I tried my Hobart "hoodz" auto draking I WILL never go back. It ran me about 160bucks an was by far the best damn money I've spent its adustable from 9 to 13 and very light. . In facctt when I get my new shop up and running I will buy another one to keep there and to keep one at work , I do everything from stick welding up to 1/2 to tigging stainless steele at 22 ga and it has yet to let me down.

Back