• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Radiator

I've been running a FlowKooler pump for 2 years and had good luck with it. 2 months ago I also got rid of the all metal 2 core I was running and swapped in a CSF 3 row. Seems to be doing the job well. I also have removed the stock fan and pully to dump in a 14" Zirgo into the stock shroud. I have had alot of trail time in the past few months and am happy with the set up. Being that I'm still running the stock 195* t-state it will get to 215ish. I'll find out how well it functions when the real summer heat hits though.

5-90- I know you run a 180* t-stat right? You think this would be a better option for my current set up?

Onkover said:
I've been running a FlowKooler pump for 2 years and had good luck with it. 2 months ago I also got rid of the all metal 2 core I was running and swapped in a CSF 3 row. Seems to be doing the job well. I also have removed the stock fan and pully to dump in a 14" Zirgo into the stock shroud. I have had alot of trail time in the past few months and am happy with the set up. Being that I'm still running the stock 195* t-state it will get to 215ish. I'll find out how well it functions when the real summer heat hits though.

5-90- I know you run a 180* t-stat right? You think this would be a better option for my current set up?

There's no particular reason not to, and it would start cooling a bit earlier. Don't bother with a 160* - it's not worth the trouble.

Granted, I mainly deal with traffic when I start heating up - which means no ram air and hot exhaust for "cooling air" anyhow.

Do bear in mind that 210-215* is "design operating temperature" for the AMC242, but there's no particular reason it can't be pulled down 10-15* or so, and my smog checks have shown a beneficial trend (decreased harmful emissions. To a certain point, of course.) I've managed to pull that temperature down about 20*F without any ill effects. I need to find my notes, and then I'll post a writeup on it.

Has anyone ever tried the Royal Purple - Purple Ice additive? If so, yay or nay? I'm always in the mood for cheap, easy mods.

I'm using Red Line Water Wetter in mine that I got at O'Reily. Same basic idea I think. It was cheap so I figured why not and added it after my cooling upgrades last year.

Greg

5-90 said:
I think you'll find that most "motorsports" vehicle also run straight water - water is a more efficient thermal conductor than ethylene glycol, and therefore will work with the radiator and engine to conduct more heat. EG is added to automotive systems to prevent freezing, not to improve cooling.

EG also increases the boiling point which is a good thing for cooling systems.

Back