• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice for the Trail

i weed' throo this thred the other day. and the only thing i want to respond to is:

4. Basic skills. I wish more people learned to wheel without TAD's. Learning to "read" a line, learning how your vehicle reacts in situations, learning where to place a tire and what to avoid, learning how much momentum and wheel speed is necessary are the most important skills to learn and they are often overlooked and lost "arts" off road.

Preach on my Brotha!:heart:

Bronze.

I hear that!!

I went a year or 2 with out any lockers on 30s. I think that has a lot to do with how I drive now.
I'm still only locked In the rear, I get asked all the time " what locker do you have in the front?"

Last edited:
Energy level is a big deal, if you are hungry or tired you will likely be a cranky B****.

When packing food for an all day trip make sure you have a good source of protein. Beef jerky works really well and so to turkey and cheese sandwiches. Meals and snacks with protein will last longer so you will be happier.

Trail mix is awesome too, its very calorie dense and has a good mix of protein, carbs and fat so it will keep you going longer than a bag of Cheetos.

Gatorade rocks dehydration sucks, nuff said.

Spill Kits: Often overlooked, but important to have. It's not uncommon to have a spill on the trail, whether it be gear oil, or power steering fluid. It's important to clean up any spills to not only protect the trail and the environment, but it also creates a better image for our sport. It only takes a few seconds to place an absorbent mat on a spill, or under a leaky hose. Several companies/clubs offer trail spill kits (SDHQ), or pick up some absorbent mats at the auto parts store and some bags to carry with you.

Many trails are starting to require spill kits to run them (Quack Attack). Put one together today, and make sure your prepared if the unfortunate happens.

Energy level is a big deal, if you are hungry or tired you will likely be a cranky B****.

When packing food for an all day trip make sure you have a good source of protein. Beef jerky works really well and so to turkey and cheese sandwiches. Meals and snacks with protein will last longer so you will be happier.

Trail mix is awesome too, its very calorie dense and has a good mix of protein, carbs and fat so it will keep you going longer than a bag of Cheetos.

Gatorade rocks dehydration sucks, nuff said.

The thought behind this comment is important, The details need a little work though.

Your right on with the trail mix, great diverse form of energy.
Gatorade is not bad although there are several better, but the point is well taken, keep your water and electrolite intake up particularly in the heat.

Protein isn't that important for the day of the event, it is much more important for the week leading up to the event (you don't want to know how long you would have to be stranded for the beef jerky to do you any good ;).
Veggies, fruits (for their simple sugars), nuts (excellent for of quick protein), sandwich (for complex carbs). Are all excellent choices. Also staying away from the pop, beer, energy drinks, is just as important.

Excellent point Joe.

Michael

First Aid Kit. Keeping a GOOD first Aid kit in your Jeep and knowing how to use it can save a life. In all my years of wheeling I have not needed it very often but when I have needed it, it has been VERY important!

Along these same lines is a good basic understanding of medical diagnostics for Hypothermia, Heart Attacks, Dehydration, Burns, Broken bones, etc is also very important. You can even keep a piece of paper in your first aid kit with a "cheet sheet" of these items.

Michael

I am surprised that no one has mentioned a "bug-out" bag. Basically a back pack that has what you would need to SURVIVE for a couple of days.

I would include: Pocket knife/leatherman, windproof lighter/matches, firestarter, firstaid kit, space blanket x2, water, 2 qt light weight pot to boil water, small roll of string, duct tape, large garbage bag, map, compass, MRE or other dence food source, signal mirror, stocking cap(even in the summer) paper and pencil(for leaving notes) and other items I am sure I am forgetting.

With this you should be able to build a shelter, stay warm, keep hydrated/feed, and survive. And if need be walk out on your own.

Does everyone know how to use a map and compass? If you were dropped in the middle of nowhere with the appropriate map and compass, you could trianglulate your location and find a route out. If not we should talk about it at NWFEST. Find me.

This is only for when S seriously hits the fan. If you are lost STAY where you are at and batten down the hatches. And enjoy your solitude.

Make sure you bring any medication you take with enough to last a couple days just in case.

First Aid Kit. Keeping a GOOD first Aid kit in your Jeep and knowing how to use it can save a life.
Michael

Whats a good first aid kit? I have a couple, the largest being a 170 piece Johnson and Johnson kit. The contents are below, is this a good one?

30 Band-Aid® Brand 3/4" adhesive bandages
34 Band-Aid Brand 5/8" strips
20 Band-Aid Brand finger and knuckle flexible adhesive bandages
14 Band-Aid Brand Spots adhesive bandages
15 Johnson & Johnson cleansing wipes
2 Band-Aid Brand extra large flexible adhesive bandage, 2 1/4" x 3"
16 Johnson & Johnson gauze, 2" x 2"
4 Tylenol® acetaminophen extra-strength caplets
4 Band-Aid Brand first aid antibiotic ointments, 0.125 oz.
10 Band-Aid Brand butterfly closure adhesive bandages
5 Band-Aid Brand tough strips
2 St. Joseph® aspirin
2 Motrin® IB caplets
2 Health-care gloves
1 Johnson & Johnson first aid tape, 1/2" x 5 yard
2 Band-Aid Brand burn cooling gel
1 Coach™ instant cold pack
1 Tweezers
1 Survival blanket
1 Eye pad
1 Organizational tray
1 Comprehensive first aid guide

this is my big one.....

if you stack rocks to get up something...

UNSTACK THEM WHEN YOU ARE DONE

this is my big one.....

if you stack rocks to get up something...

UNSTACK THEM WHEN YOU ARE DONE

Really? Honestly I've never unstacked my rocks. Is this good etiquette?

ya man. i like to run trails that are challenging. i understand sometimes things happen and ya gotta stack em up to get out - it happens. but unstack em so its not any less challenging for me ya know?

Really? Honestly I've never unstacked my rocks. Is this good etiquette?
It allows the next group to attempt the obstacle how you found it, and not have the advantage of the stacked rocks. With our terrain in the PNW, we're not stacking rocks all the time so it's often overlooked.

Usually when I stack a few for a rig, they end up getting shot out anyway.

ya man. i like to run trails that are challenging. i understand sometimes things happen and ya gotta stack em up to get out - it happens. but unstack em so its not any less challenging for me ya know?

Ya, I get it.

It allows the next group to attempt the obstacle how you found it, and not have the advantage of the stacked rocks. With our terrain in the PNW, we're not stacking rocks all the time so it's often overlooked.

Usually when I stack a few for a rig, they end up getting shot out anyway.

Torx has a good point as well, around here the rocks don't seem to last but a few rigs anyways but ill remember this.

Whats a good first aid kit?

Here is a basic list of the MINIMUM that I would recommend:
Kit Contains:
(1) CPR Bio-Barrier Face Shield
(3) pairs individually wrapped Nitrile exam gloves
(6) 1/8oz Pain Relieving Burn Free Burn Gel
(1) 4" x 4" Sterile Burn Free Burn Dressing
(1) 2" x 10 yds. Porous Cloth Adhesive Tape
(1) 1" x 10 yds. Porous Cloth Adhesive Tape
(3) 4" x 3 yds. Clean Wrap Gauze Bandage
(1) Para-Medic Shear
(1) Disposable Penlight
(1) 3" x 5 yds. Elastic Bandage
(3) 4" x 4" Sterile Gauze Pads, 2/per pack
(2) 5" x 9" Sterile Tendersorb ABD pads
(1) 8" x 10" Sterile Trauma Pads
(2) Triangle Bandage with safety pins
(1) Instant Ice Pack, Small
(1) EpiSan Instant Hand Sanitizer, 4oz
(16) 1" x 3" Elastic Adhesive Strips
(5) Elastic Fingertip Bandages, Large
(5) Elastic Knuckle Bandages
(5) Elastic Patch Bandages, 2" x 3"
(10) .5 Gram doses Triple Antibiotic Ointment
(10) .9 Gram doses 1% Hydrocortisone Cream
(1) Antiseptic Scrub with brush, generic Hibiclens
(20) Antiseptic Wipes
(10) Non-Aspirin Tablets
(10) Aspirin Tablets
(10) Ibuprofen Tablets
(1) pair sterile eye pads
(4) bee sting swabs.
(1) basic medical guide.

This should easily fit into a small bag and be easily accessible and will have all of the basic requirements for just about any situation.

I carry something very similar to the above in my "bug-out" bag that Hans brought up (good point Hans). I carry this bag anytime my family or I go on a short hike, Mt biking, etc so it is almost always with us. We have something similar in each of our cars also. In the Jeep I used to have a more complete Trauma kit than listed above (minus the birthing supplies, I hope not to have to worry about this on the trail) mine all fit nicely into a waterproof ammo can.

Michael

My .02

Spares
I am guilty quite often of not having spares. But the one that gets me the most are tires. If you do not have a spare tire, you should not wheel. I again have been guilty of this, but have had the good fortune of being able to repair the tire. There is nothing more frustrating that having someone tear open a side wall and try to bum your spare.

Winching Safety
If you were smart enough to buy a winch (that was new) you should have been smart enough to read the safety literature that was included, Right? If you do not know how to correctly use your winch please DO ask someone before you injure or kill someone. It has been said before, Dampen the line with a coat or line weight, no one wants your winch line breaking at smashing into someone or something. And if your line looks sketchy, I.E. frayed or old, please replace it. At the expense of someones safety new line is not that expensive.

Here is some great literature I found on safe winching and techniques.
http://www.warn.com/corporate/images/90/UserManualSRC.US.readers.pdf

Attitude
This can make for a bad day wheeling. If you have a Poopy attitude no one is going to want to help you, and you're probably going to rub some people the wrong way. And do not take offense to someone that is giving you some constructive criticism, the advise might just save your life. And really, who could be in a crappy mood if your wheeling anyways?

These are a few things i feel are important.

I had this happen on a run a couple years ago. I just :dunno: because I was the only one in the group with a 5x5.5" bolt pattern. :shhh:

Carrying a spare is especially important if you have a HP other than 5 on 4.5

Above all else to possess the skill of co-operation and being willing to help out a fellow wheeler in need. Ie.... lone them a spare part if they need it. That's what being in a club is about. Being with others while enjoying our hobby in a possitive friendly environment. Not a bunch of a$$hats with snide remarks and selfish attitudes. Help a guy out, you never know when you'll need the help too.

Back