• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adopt A Trail Hours

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
These are the hours that the various Adopt a Trail clubs have volunteered this past year (FY 07-08). The fiscal year ends September 30.

My Jeep Rocks 1144
So. Cal. FJ Cruisers 584
Inland Empire 511
Bear Valley 4 Wheel Drive 387
SBNFA Volunteers 384
Dirt Devils 312
Big Bear Trail Riders 281
OC Dualies 276
Victor Valley 274
West Coast 262
NAXJA 257
Waywegos 256
So. Cal. Hummers 255
Lost KJ West 209
Rubicon Owners 206
Jeepin' Jeepers 186
So. Cal. Broncos 175
Freelanders 171
Riverside 4 Wheelers 156
Geared 4 Fun 115
OC 4 Play 103
Out 4 Fun 86
So. Cal. Big Dawgs 81
GAD-ZUKS! 57
Capo Valley 45
Hill-n-Gully 25
Drifters 24
Scouts West 19
Riverside Ruff Riders 14
Honda Employee Riders 8
TLCA LA 7
Hemet 0
Sons of Thunder 0
Thumper Talk 0

Wow, MJR is kickin some ass. Good for them.

instead of commenting on other groups, we should be thinking about ways to increase our own participation. Methods include:
- Attending a trail clean-up
- Attending an Adopt-A-Trail meeting
- other ideas Karstic?

THe more we participate, the better chances we have on keeping trails open.

When is the next event?

The SoCal Chapter supports the Forestry Service's Adopt A Trail program as we adopted the 2n04 trail in big bear. This means that we help make sure the trail is maintained by picking up trash, blocking off unauthorized trails that others make, fixing run-offs or erosion issues, etc. Even though we adopted only one trail, we can help more by volunteering our time and manpower to help maintain the other trails that the Forestry Service might need help with. Its like the Adopt a Highway program where a particular portion gets sponsored and adopted.

what is adopt a trail?

excuse my newbness but i have no idea

Our chapter has an agreement with the San Bernardino National Forest to help maintain one of the 4wd trails on the forest.

From the SBNFA website:

Adopt-A-Trail

OHV use in the National Forest depends upon the efforts of volunteers and their partnership with businesses that care about the outdoors. For each adoption the partners include an OHV or community group, a business, and the Forest Service. Each one gives something—the Forest Service gives the necessary training, supplies and equipment when possible; the business provides an annual cash contribution ($500 or $1000), and the group provides the maintenance needed to sustain recreational use by the public throughout the operating season.

Local ranger districts decide which trails or routes should be adopted and the Adopt-A-Trail Coordinator makes the route assignments based on the groups request and trail needs.

Each trail is different, but this is a list of the types of maintenance that can be required.

Removing logs and brush that encroach on the trail
Install, repair, and clean water bars or other drainage structures
Provide protection for stream crossings, meadows, and wet areas
Place rocks or logs on trail for better traction
Maintain trail to the designated rating
Remove traces of any use that occurs off the designated trail
Remove litter and any foreign items from trail
Install, maintain, and replace trail markers
Install, maintain, and replace signs and bulletin boards as needed

Our trail is 2N04 Balky Horse Canyon, a blue square trail east of Big Bear Lake

Here is a photo album of our worday back in May

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563742412mGJfce?vhost=good-times&start=28

Adding in Saturday's AAT hours MJR is up to 1524.

The SBNFA Volunteers have over 30,000 hours volunteered in fiscal 07-08.

...we should be thinking about ways to increase our own participation.

The SBNFA has just over 100 active members and MJR has approx 30 active AAT members. The SBNFA asks each volunteer to donate 90 hours each year. MJR asks each volunteer to donate 20 hours a year.

NAXJA has the potential to really make a difference on our SBNF trails. If every member would make a decision to change a couple of wheeling days into maintenance days NAXJA could easily volunteer thousands of hours next year.

instead of commenting on other groups, we should be thinking about ways to increase our own participation. Methods include:
- Attending a trail clean-up
- Attending an Adopt-A-Trail meeting
- other ideas Karstic?

THe more we participate, the better chances we have on keeping trails open.

When is the next event?

Truthfully, I dont remember the last post for an AAT work day...

Whos in charge of that program for the SoCal Chapter?

Truthfully, I dont remember the last post for an AAT work day...

Whos in charge of that program for the SoCal Chapter?

I am.

In all honesty our trail isn't very labor intensive. Greg indicted to me there are two trails near ours that are up for adoption, which effectively would increase our workload.

I am.

In all honesty our trail isn't very labor intensive. Greg indicted to me there are two trails near ours that are up for adoption, which effectively would increase our workload.

If we get good turn outs, like we did last year. I would be up for doing more. But if we get attendance like we did the previous year, It would make for a VERY long weekend.

If we get good turn outs, like we did last year. I would be up for doing more. But if we get attendance like we did the previous year, It would make for a VERY long weekend.

I participated in that clean-up and it (SoCal Fest) was my first outing after joining NAXJA. You guys are awesome and would be great if we could support the AAT program more. If it would make it easier and increase attendance, I could put people up over-night at my cabin in Big Bear w/ some wheeling and maybe a BBQ afterwards. Just a thought I'd throw out there. Of course the Costa Mesa Chapter has first dibs on choice of beds!

How can we add hours?

Simple, we need another trail!

I started the process for getting another trail a couple of years ago but a bunch of people got bitchy because it was too easy a trail. Personally I'm fine with adopting anything from a fire road to a hardcore trail, everything helps.

I think some of the problem of getting people to do maintenance on 2N04 lately is people's trail snobbery, which is just sad. Everybody in the chapter should show up for trail maintenance days, it's not as much work as you think.

Sequoia

PS - My Jeep Rocks has been rock stars in the AAT program ever since they got into it.

My personal thought is to have trail maintenance seperate from SoCal Fest.

Leave SoCal Fest as a stand alone event.

Trail maintenance doesn't have to be done all in one day or weekend. Matter of fact it can't often be done in just one day. The trail will change over the year with use and weather.

My personal thought is to have trail maintenance seperate from SoCal Fest..

If we have more trails then a separate event would be fine with me. The reason it's always been joined with the 'fest was because when people show up it takes us only a few hours to do then we go play on Onyx Loop / Pontiac Sluice (speaking of has that been officially closed yet?).

I'd love to have enough stuff to spend a whole weekend doing maintenance and be the new powerhouse of the AAT system. C'mon guys, we have the numbers we just need the will!

Back