• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/c Condenser For A Tranny Cooler?

marshapepper

NAXJA Forum User
since i converted my a/c to on-board air could i use my condenser as a tranny cooler if i adapted all the plumbing of course? i'm just wondering if it could take the pressure and would have enough flow? what do you guys think.

thoughts wont help you, you need facts based on experience.

However the condenser is made of either the same material or stronger than your radiator, therefore pressure is not a problem. I say that because ac systems are high pressure out of the compressor but there is a huge pressure drop throught the sytem and extremely low pressure in the condenser. your tranny fluid currently pumps into a copper rad. if your cond. is copper or stronger then you have a bad ass tranny cooler.
HOWEVER! condensers are huge they will cover you radiator and heat the air passing into it decresing your cooling ability, not good. With stock cooling sys I would not consider it (warm weather areas). Tranny cool engine hot.

Just a thought though.

Sometimes it takes a little while to formulate an answer...

As I recall, liquified freon (R12/R134A) has a significantly lower viscosity than transmission fluid, so flow may be hampered through the "cooler" in this case.

Another useful little factoid is that the transmission cooler is usually plumbed into the fluid return circuit - AFTER it's done all its work. Therefore, there is little to no pressure - at most, it's just enough to keep the fluid moving. Therefore, system pressure is not a great issue here.

However, I'd not want to put the cooler for transmission fluid (which can be hotter than the engine coolant) in front of the heat exchanger for engine coolant - doing this can seriously reduce the efficiency of the engine heat exchanger (which depends upon fresh air intake to work.) You are therefore likely to see significant temperature increases in engine operation, which can lead to spark knock and other undesireable effects. Short form - Bad juju.

Would I do it? No, for reasons stated. I also don't know how the AC Condenser is constructed relative to the internal arrangement of the transmission/Power Steering cooler, and if it's different enough, you may not get enough efficiency out of the condenser AS A TRANSMISSION COOLER to make the effort pay off.

Besides, the typical four-pass cooler used with most automatic transmissions is sufficient - if you've deleted the air conditioning, remove the condenser and put the auxiliary coolers on the front of the radiator. You'll pick up cooling efficiency just from getting the condenser out of the way, and that will probably offset the occluded area of the auxiliary coolers.

If you are really worried about blocking the radiator, some creative thinking should reveal ways to use things like "frame rail coolers" (liquid/air heat exchangers with a narrow profile) to cool fluids in a manner that allows them to be kept out of the way - I haven't taken any time on this, but I don't see a reason why it couldn't be done.

For Very High Performance applications, the idea of using the condenser (after serious flushing and cleaning, of course) as a fuel cooler may have merit - but the viscosity of fuel is much lower than petroleum lubricants (and is roughly similar to water - or condensed freon) and should flow quite freely through the cooler tube. Also, the net heat removed from the fuel is lower than that to be removed from the lubricant, since it doesn't pick up heat from friction (which is a large part of what makes oils get hot.)

Given time I could probably think of a number of uses for old A/C condenser cores - but oil coolers aren't any of them - except where they can be used in a location out from in front of the radiator (so the engine can stay cool as well.) Anything else you'd like to try?

5-90

From the looks of how rotted my stock AC condenser was you;d be better off with something newer... You could probably find a tranny cooler off the tow package version of many trucks and SUVs in the junkyard in lots better shape than your Condenser...

You can also find a cheapo new unit at your local pepboys/shucks/autozone for 35-75$ depending on size and quality...

I'm actually looking into doing a separate transmission cooler soon because my lower tranmission cooler line started leaking..

I'm going to paruse Summit, JEGS, and so on for a good cheap cooler in the 35-80$ range and just pick one... just in the interest in ending up with something better than your standard fare off the shelf Checker/pepboys junk..

You could probably make it work but depending on how much time you have to spend saving less than 100$ on a cooler that could either not work work great or possibly overheat your motor...

It just seems like a better Idea to go with a new cooler new lines and a optimized mounting location.

I actually plan to eliminate my AC condenser and put the cooler in front of the radiator off to one side.

another thing to keep in mind guys, trannys are way more sensitive to heat then engines are. The number one killer or trannys is heat, if you keep them cool they'll last years, but if you heat them up they'll be shot before you know it.

There is a ton of heat generated by an auto tranny in an offroad situation. you want to have a good sized cooler, placed IN FRONT of your radaitor. Since the tranny needs to run at a cooler temp then your engine, you need it up front so it gets the cooler air.

Anyone ever toy with the idea of making some sort of "cooler mister" for off-road automatic transmission applications? I've done something similar with turbos - using a syphon CO2 tank to spray a liquid CO2 mist onto the intercooler core (usually resulting in intercooler outlet temperature being somewhere below ambient!) and I don't see any reason why a water mist (which would evapourate off of the cooler in free are near operating temperature anyhow) wouldn't be useful for dropping oil temperatures.

I seem to recall that "ideal" op temp is around 190-195 for transmission fluids, with an effective range from 190 to about 220. Water boils at 212 - that could really help shed heat at the high end of the range (since the extra heat energy required for fluids to make the jump to vapour is higher than it would be for it to be liquid at that temperature - 212-degree water has less heat energy than 212-degree steam...)

There's no reason for it to run all the time - have it on a switch right next to the transmission gauge, or use a modified line fitting with something like the thermal fan switch to trip the thing on and off...

Put ice in the water tank for the system before you go off-road, and you need more energy to boil the water off the cooler core and you get a more significant temperature reduction. With a light mist, a water tank up to around 5 gallons should be good for an average day (scratch guess.)

Anyone want to help me implement this idea? Since I'm still stock on 31's, I probably need a "test dummy" more than anything else, once I figure out how to build the thing...

5-90

thanks guy's that gives me a couple ideas. what if i switch the rad. and condenser and try that, or i might hit up the junkyard and see if i can find one there. jc whitney also has a combo engine oil/tranny cooler on sale for $115 right now so maybe that's the way to go i could mount that in front if i pull the condenser completly. any other ideas/experiences?

many of you know far more on this topic then I but for what it is worth my father ran that setup on his 72 dodge for at least 20 years now and it has worked fine for him but I don't have any numbers the truck doesn't overheat and the transmission has been okay though recently replaced but it lasted for 30 years of hard use

virginxj said:
ac systems are high pressure out of the compressor but there is a huge pressure drop throught the sytem and extremely low pressure in the condenser.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but the pressure drop occurs at the metering device which is at the entry to the evaporator coil. So the pressure out of the compressor and in the condenser are the same. The difference is temperature. Hot gas out of the compressor and cooler liquid after the condenser.
Never mind if you meant to say evaporator instead of condenser..:)

K

corbinafly said:
Not trying to be a smart ass,

Never mind if you meant to say evaporator instead of condenser..:)

K
Yes you are trying to be a....:)

and oops, I did mean evaporator, wow and I just took my thermodynamics final yesterday, you think I would know better. thanks for the corection.

Back