• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 trany

Anyone ever attempted this before? I'm thinking I can drimmel out the '98 tcm so that the '97 harness will fit it. Anyone know if the harness will still lock to the tcm even though the little squares at the bottom are cut?

If the connectors are the same, except the little "keys" then you can most likely trim them off with a Dremel and plug it in. I don't have a 97 FSM to confirm what the connector looks like or the actual pinout.

I still get conflicting info on when the AW4 sensors changed. Most of the info points to 98 as the year, and I was assuming that the connector changed from the old style to the new style at the same time. But your saying the 97 and 98 looks identical except for the keying? The old style had 2 rows of 16 pins. The new style has two rows of 13 pins. What does yours look like?

I think it was 13 pins. All I did was drimmel out the keys on both sides and used my old harness. It shifts on its own now. I have so much more power now because it doesn't shift to 2nd so early. I must say that it was a great call to replace the tcm because the guy who does the jeep tranny's said he didnt think it would be that, but he was wrong. If anyone wants a '97 tcm jus pm me.

Cool. Glad to hear it's working well now. I just as confused as ever, but your info points to the connector maybe changing in 96 with the OBDII change and the AW4 sensors changing in 98. One of these days I'll hunt down the 96, 97 and 98 FSMs and do some comparing.

Back