• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 TDI and a Snap-on MIG welder

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
1997 VW TDI with 330K miles on the clock... Barley broken in :D with a jump start it will fire right up. I picked it up off of the original owner. The car could probably be turned into a daily driver if you don't mind the look or smell of a "B4" style passat (every one i've ever been around smells the same,) but this would be better suited for someone looking to do a TDI swap. I have the title, $800 and trailer it away.

Snap-on YA 212 IND MIG/ lift TIG welder, 220 volt input, 230 welding amps at 60% duty cycle, a big welder. It has a 20 foot 10 gauge power cable, most of a 11 lb. spool of .035, misc consumables and flow regulator, no bottle. This uses standard Tweco style parts so they are also easy to get. It's setup and working if want to try it out. $650

Both are in Bethlehem, CT

~Alex

damn! i hope you still have that welder in a couple weeks....

My imageshack app isn't working right at the moment but I can email you a few pics if you'd like. The car needs a full once over inspection to check all the mechanicals. This was a daily driver before I bought it. Driver's window doesn't work but I have a replacement door harness for it. It does need a new battery as well. The clutch is holding good.

I bought this with the intentions of making it a good daily driver to sell but I don't have the time and just want to sell it in it's current condition.

~Alex

My imageshack app isn't working right at the moment but I can email you a few pics if you'd like. The car needs a full once over inspection to check all the mechanicals. This was a daily driver before I bought it. Driver's window doesn't work but I have a replacement door harness for it. It does need a new battery as well. The clutch is holding good.

I bought this with the intentions of making it a good daily driver to sell but I don't have the time and just want to sell it in it's current condition.

~Alex

Intersted in trading a 2000 XJ for it? I drive the XJ daily, it's got zero mechanical issues

Let's call both items SPF.

~Alex

Mig welder is back on the for sale list.

~Alex

I am really tempted by that welder. My little fluxcore didn't like me much for trying to weld 1" plate with it.

I am really tempted by that welder. My little fluxcore didn't like me much for trying to weld 1" plate with it.

That doesn't sound like fun at all. The hottest welder can do is voltage setting 9/12 without burning .035 wire back to the tip, it needs .045 for the higher settings. Multipas on 1" shoildnt be too bad with 230 amps at 60% duty cycle.

~Alex

That doesn't sound like fun at all. The hottest welder can do is voltage setting 9/12 without burning .035 wire back to the tip, it needs .045 for the higher settings. Multipas on 1" shoildnt be too bad with 230 amps at 60% duty cycle.

~Alex
It "worked" but I had to really, really push it, and if I didn't let the poor thing cool for like 10 minutes every 2" of weld it started splattering everywhere and sputtering badly. Seemed to penetrate but I'm not sure how well. Regardless it has me looking to buy a better welder (not difficult, this is one I paid Ross 100 bucks for, used, it does about 80-90A! :dunce:)... hmm.

Anything you're looking to trade for that I might have, or just cold hard cash? I'm pretty sure I want it either way, just curious.

Send me a PM with what you have for trade and we can talk details.

~Alex

It "worked" but I had to really, really push it, and if I didn't let the poor thing cool for like 10 minutes every 2" of weld it started splattering everywhere and sputtering badly. Seemed to penetrate but I'm not sure how well. Regardless it has me looking to buy a better welder (not difficult, this is one I paid Ross 100 bucks for, used, it does about 80-90A! :dunce:)... hmm.

Anything you're looking to trade for that I might have, or just cold hard cash? I'm pretty sure I want it either way, just curious.

Still interested?

still interested. Haven't managed to come up with a list of stuff to trade really, so I'm thinking I'll just pay cash... I have no idea what my availability is next week, except for the fact that I'm driving down 84, 91, and 95 to NYC tomorrow morning. Any chance you'd be around?

Welder is gone. It even came with an offroad adventure...

~Alex

sorry about that :dunce: Going to weld a plow frame together tomorrow, can't wait to not have to wait for my welder to cool down between beads.

Back