• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj sport 5.3 swap

got it fired up today after figuring out my fuel pump issue, filled it with coolant. attempted to get the tach working but the gm signal is too weak, need to boost it.

it also appears the alternator is not charging

got the misfires on bank one figured out( sorta) #7 is still a mystery

going to hit it hard tomorrow and attempt to drive it around the block

got it fired up today after figuring out my fuel pump issue, filled it with coolant. attempted to get the tach working but the gm signal is too weak, need to boost it.

it also appears the alternator is not charging

got the misfires on bank one figured out( sorta) #7 is still a mystery

going to hit it hard tomorrow and attempt to drive it around the block

Good progress. Good luck tomorrow.

Good progress. Good luck tomorrow.

the fuel pump issue ended up being the key 12v pin on the pdc not making contact with the relay terminal.

to get it to move i need to:
-installed recovery tank
-wire tcc relay
-figure out trans shifter linkage
-add more coolant/transfluid
-fill t-case
-tighten trans x-member bolts
-bolt in trans mount
-bolt in uca
- remove the other half of the front drive shaft from the front axel

going to get the alt tested at the parts store tommoro when i go in for fluids

hopefully i can get my self moving tommoro,

the fuel pump issue ended up being the key 12v pin on the pdc not making contact with the relay terminal.

to get it to move i need to:
-installed recovery tank
-wire tcc relay
-figure out trans shifter linkage
-add more coolant/transfluid
-fill t-case
-tighten trans x-member bolts
-bolt in trans mount
-bolt in uca
- remove the other half of the front drive shaft from the front axel

going to get the alt tested at the parts store tommoro when i go in for fluids

hopefully i can get my self moving tommoro,

Its a long list but doable :) Glad you got the fuel pump sorted.

got the tcase filled up, long arms and crossmember bolted back in volvo fan relay and volvo maxi fuses mounted and mostly wired up(just need to wire them to the pcm) topped off the coolant connected a couple grounds to the body, got started on the trans linkage(im highly considering a lokar shifter)

and the bad news: went to fire it up this morning and it cranked for a few seconds and then all 12 key went dead gm and jeep. im thinking the ignition switch got burned up. when i checked under the hood and the 12v switched lead im using to power the gm stuff had melted insulation so i think it grounded its self and burned out the switch

did you consider the aluminum intake that places the throttle body like a conventional v8/carb set up would have? so it doesnt crowd the area by the rad and all that heat and your TB. i am considering 4.8 or 5.3 / 700r4 to jeep 231 for my 88 renix cherokee. i am so tired of renix gremlins.

if you are on the fence about the lokar, I HIGHLY recommend it! That thing is smooth as butter and being able to slam it into neutral on a sketchy up hill is a big plus to me. I love mine.
X2

I vote Winter's with a rock gate especially for the sketchy climb you need to back out of.
Actually I have a Winters shifter not a Lokar. My bad (previously said the Lokar was better). Highly recommended, I have the rock gate as well. The thing is SOLID, only cost about $240 AND I always get compliments on it when people check out my rig.

I was going to try to adapt something from another car, which would be no prob, but my time is money and the Winters shifter was plug and play (except for the fiberglass console i made for it). No brainer.

In park the handle points forward so it's about as close as it can be to the dash. I considered the flush mount but it seemed too tall. I had a lot of trouble getting good dimensions on the shifter before hand.

that what im running into doing research, my xj has the older style dash so i can likely move it farther forward since the radio bezel area doesn't stick out as much

im still leaning towards a loka mostly because it looms like an overall better fit plus it loks like a 5 speed shifter and maybe itll stop thieves since no one seems to know how drive a standard any more lol

Back