• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj sport 5.3 swap

i need to update this more often lol

installed the rad hoses today, i chose a universal flex hose for the lower and built an upper hose out of 2 silicone 90* bends. with the l99 pump and the narrow rad, it leave very little space for a rad hose to fit in there. i had planned on running black silicone hose but the place i ordered it from ran out and offered red as a replacement and since i already paid and didnt feel like shopping around after a refund i just let them send me the red ones, i know the tails on the hose clamps are ugly, but they were the only clamps i had laying around that would fit, ill clip them if what ever i do for an air intake doenst cover them

tight fit:

i got one transmission line ran to the cooler, im tweaking the OEM chevy lines to work to my needs, i know its not ideal but i dont want to shell out the $$ for more braided line at this points and i have the lines, i also received my stamped steel trans pan to replace my damaged one and of course painted it red,i also have a new filter waiting in the wings for when i install the pan(hopefully tommorow) im going to do a drain and fill a couple times cause it looks like there was a bit of moisture in the pan, but from what i can see the valve body is clear so hope fully its good to go.

also got heater hoses ran but i forgot to add the steam line adapter to it, ill do that at some point (please continue to ignore the rats nest of wiring i havent tackled yet...)

im trying to get all the mechanical/non-wiring stuff done so that i can at least move the jeep a bit and get the plywood out from under it

I ran into the same problem on mine with the L99 pump. I ended up using a 2000 Saturn 300 sedan upper hose:
s-l225.jpg

Your lower hose fit way better than mine. Looks good. I had to make a 2 piece for the lower.

its a 1 3/4" x 10 3/4" dayco hose if im not mistaken it could stand to be about 1/2" to 1" longer tho

i thought running the l99 pump would be the better choice for hose placement but it actually made it more of a pain, i coul have just run the truck WP with the long flex hose that came with my motor, i just didnt like how close the cruis tab on the TB cam to the water neck, if i blow the pump up i still have the truck pump in the wings

got the trans lines all hooked up and the new trans pan installed after a hiccup from the parts store, they gave me the deep pan filter and my trans is not a deep pan trans. i also got the steem line plumbed into the heater hose

tonite i installed the lower fan mount/baffle, and (sorta) installed the header panel

i also have an ls1 throttle cable and bracket on the way along with my intake since i finally decided on that.

not related to v8 swapping but i thing i might dithch my winch and bumper for something lower profile like the jcr crusader series

so what do yall think of my intake setup? im not quite sure this is how i want to run it yet.

the gm spectre CAI dropped price on amazon by 50$ so i thought id jump on it

basically what I've done is flip the tube around so the bend is on the filter side and added the gm factory hose to the end to bend the filter a bit more the it all fits in there and barely clears the hood and the filter wont be touching any thing but i think the filter flow may be a bit compromised, im thinking of buying a stubby filter from the parts store and just ending it all behind the head light

or am i just over thinking it?

im thinking of buying a stubby filter from the parts store and just ending it all behind the head light

I switched to a store filter behind the headlight recently and it's working out well. My IAT dropped substantially, but my filter was closer to the header than yours is in this pic.

i think im just going to run it for now,

im going to attempt to get this thing filled and fired up this weekend and maybe a cruise around the block :)

but that may be to ambitious

Same setup as me on the CAI but i used the 90 degree elbow from Novak (pushed it forward a bit to clear the rad) at the throttle body, then used the spectre elbow at the filter. My tube is also flipped around with the bracket cut off to clear the hood. I was getting very high intake temps on the trail (170-190 plus) which led to lean codes and MAF implausible temp codes. Now my snorkel is plumbed to it to cure the high temps.

Sorry for the size, this is a super old pic before i changed a bunch of stuff but you get the idea.

IMG_4427.jpg

i think im just going to run it for now,

im going to attempt to get this thing filled and fired up this weekend and maybe a cruise around the block :)

but that may be to ambitious

So how's the progress?

not as far as i hoped, some personal nonsense came up so i didnt get to put as much time in as i wanted. but i did manage to clean up the engine bay a bit(lots of tools and misc stuff) and got the ls1 throttle cable and bracket installed. luckily the xj pedal has plenty of throw for the 5.3 TB. i was worried it wouldnt when i was experimenti g with a couple other cables

also clearanced the hood for the rad inlet to clear but my intake still isnt clearing thanks to the upper rad hose. not quite sure what my fix will be yet

i figured out the hood not closing issue at least. the second latch wasnt letting it come all the way down, the intake still hits but the hood still closes

engine bay slightly more respectable, ended up denting the intake tub a bit for more hood clearance, some time in the future im going to swap radiators for one with the inlet and outlet on the passenger side and switch to either a truck or ls1 water pump so things go together a bit better. but thatll happen in a few years probably when i decide to rebuild and hop up the motor :)

ls1 throttle cable and bracket via ebay still surprised that the xj pedal dint need any modification.

heres where i cut the hood to clear the rad cap i wanted to use the hole saw but the drill bit part would have punched thru the hood before cutting the circle out(i actually trimmed more away than whats in this picture cause this wasnt enough)

Back