• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ from Canada

Started on the tube work for the front bumper so far so good seeing as how ive never really done to much tube work before. Also made up some fancy gussets and will try and make the rest of them so what match to get a theme going. I took a few pictures here and there just to show progress is being made. Enjoy....

hey cool a subscriber i can't say ive ever had one of those yet. Well if other new , what gives almost 600 views and replies from only one person. Is it because i'm Canadian? Just kidding i think the thread need to me moved to the fabricators section but you need to be a paying member from what i understand? I think what the build it going to become is probably more aimed towards that section of the forum.

Okay so i haven't posted in a while but i have been working on the jeep so here are a few update shots of both the front and rear bumpers. And for the rear bumper i'm also building a fold down tire carrier stinger.

Finished all the gussets for the front bumper and fully welded it so all thats left for the front bumper is clean up and welds and pain/powder coat it, i haven't decided what yet.

next is the rear bumper pictures as well as shots of the tube work for the fold down tire carrier. its the basic parts for now. still need to add some tube, gussets and other dodas here and there. As well i need to build the part that will actually hold the tire and the part that will secure it to the jeep. Also need to rework the mounts to the jeep they aren't very strong but not sure how i wanna do it. So if any one has pictures of their mounts that would be great. Thats cruddy old me (19) grinding. Also i know its frowned upon but all the tube work is being made using schedule 40 pipe because ive never done any tube work, and don't have a bender for any thing els. Enjoy what ive got done, and criticism is always welcome.

The tire carrier will be both attached to the tail gate as well as some kind of safety pin at the hinge point. that way its not relying on only the the tail gate for support.

well at the moment i don't have a spare tire and usually just wheel using a plug/patch kit. But on a recent trip i busted up all the tailgate and rear window from a tree branch so, its also going to act as protection for the rear of the jeep/storage rack and possibly a tire carrier in the future. And the pins at the tail gate will be like a secondary thing. i'm going to have a main locking pin at the actual bumper, if i feel that the tail gate won't hold. All tho ive seen a couple of them around attached direct to the tail gate without any problems but they might have been steel tail gates. From what i understand they made both...

got any more detailed pics of the rear bumper mounts? kinda doing same thing but not quite sure how i wanna make the brackets to hold it on?

really i just used a 1/4" plate and bolted in to the 4 factory bolts and then used 2x4" tubing out from there to support to top plate on the bumper and the front plate etc...But at the same time its for very strong at the moment and am not 100% sure how i'm going to make it stronger. If any one out there has better information or a few tips on how to mount it that would be great.

i can tell you a better way you cut the hole between the factory bolts and put 2x4 in there thats what i thought u were doing hence why i asked but theres a link to how thats done and thats what im doing
Well I made some progress tonight, I pretty much have the bracket design figured out. I'm using 2.0x4.0x1/8 tubing, which will push all the way into the frame, and bolt in underneath, as well as the stock locations. I also cut a slot down the tubing so that the shackle bolt slides in nicely. I don't think it should have any effect on overall integrity. Heres some pics.

Heres the 4 holes.
IMG_1501.jpg

Heres what I had to cut out to get the tube to fit
IMG_1500.jpg

Like a glove
IMG_1499.jpg

Heres the slot
IMG_1502.jpg

A few holes drilled
IMG_1505.jpg

And of course a look down the tube to see how it all lines up.
IMG_1508.jpg

The nuts will be welded inside the tube, and then bolts will be used to secure everything to the frame. I should have more pics on the stock flange/plate in a few.

so i haven't posted in a very very long time, but ive been wheeling a couple of times including a big trip up north. but not alot of pictures. i will post what i have tho. As well ive started building a set of tube fenders. pretty much have the fronts done. Not quite sure what i'm doing with the rears yet. Our trip was in Ardbeg Ontario, canada. We wheel on power line access trails and there is some pretty knarly and beautyfull scenery.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0103-1.jpg

IMG_0095-1.jpg

IMG_0094-1.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

these are all the pictures i have from up north, but as soon as i get the others from my buddy i will. its really a great place to wheel and the view is unreal. the one picture is taken from my tent at 7 in the morning. Oh and pictures of my taco from a tie rod.

next these are the shots i took of the drivers side tube fender in progress. will get finished pictures soon. any question or comments just shoot. thanks.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Another update, i re-did all of the floor, as well as instaled some offbrand offroad suspention seats. These will be mounted to the roll cage with 5pt harnesses in the future. And i did the truck bed liner inside as well. I used a canadian stuff called easy liner. worked great.

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

floor looks great, inspiration to get on my Raptor liner project.

After several overheating issued occured at a local mudrun(pics below) i decided to remove my ac condenser and add a second electric fan. This alowed the rad to be easily cleaned once it was plugged full of mud. And i needed the ac compressor and mechanical fan removed for my grand cherokee alternator mod.

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

I decided to go with a 4.0L grand cherokee with a/c alternator set up, its very different from the stock cherokee set up moving the alternator up 8-10". I did this because i fried 2 alternators in the mud because of how low they sit on the cherokee's. It basicaly moves the alternator to the stock ac compressor location and moves the ac compressor up 2" or so. but the grand cherokee alt braket also eliminated the mechanical fan bracket so i needed the second electric fan. But this was the plan all along. Since this mod i have not hand a single alternator problem. And highly recomend the mod.

421639541.gif

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Last edited:
Back