• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 to '01 motor swap?

9c1cap

NAXJA Forum User
Hi fellers, been reading here for awhile this may be my first post. Here's some background:
I got a '95 XJ last summer for the grand sum of zero dollars. It belonged to my uncle before he passed away. He owned it since new and its getting close to 200k miles and runs like a top. Its my daily driver. Because my aunt so generously gifted the jeep to me I kinda feel obligated to keep it nice and "near-stock".
So today, I get a call from an old friend who has an '01 with possibly a blown head gasket, maybe worse. Ive been wanting to upgrade my '95 w/ some newer parts i.e. the front bodywork, fender flares, and maybe the rear hatch from a 97+. He is fixing to scrap it if all else fails, so I offered him scrap price and a little more--$400. Deal is struck.

My question is: how much trouble would it be to swap the '95 motor into the '01. Im sure the info is on here but search for engine swap brings up mostly for different engines. Thanks!

Craig

Define 'how hard is it". If you have the proper tools and a Factory Service Manual or experience, it is just like any other engine swap. 1990-2001 engine blocks will interchange

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, fan belt driven accessories and mounting brackets, engine sensors.

If you have or suspect a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler 1997-06 or WJ Grand Cherokee 1999-04.

Define 'how hard is it". If you have the proper tools and a Factory Service Manual or experience, it is just like any other engine swap. 1990-2001 engine blocks will interchange

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, fan belt driven accessories and mounting brackets, engine sensors.

If you have or suspect a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler 1997-06 or WJ Grand Cherokee 1999-04.

Was the whole reason I didnt purchase a 1999+. It can cost you a lot of money if you dont take care of it before you drop the engine in.

Back