• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 cherokee shipped to colder climate now hard to start

You should be fine I would check the manufacturer date small tag on side of battery tells what month/ year of manufacture .

30+ Minnesota winters, parked outdoors mostly, never owned an AGM battery. If you don't have a winch, you don't need AGM.

Well yeah I went ahead and bought agm as I do have a winch but guess what same problem still. I turn the key on seatbelt light comes on just not others. Then after cycling the key prob a hundred or so times it starts flickering and the fuel pump flickers with it which causes the engine to flood with fuel. So it's hard to start now anyway. It goes solid but still acts weird for a sec. but yes my battery was bad didn't die trying to start but hell I don't get it it runs perfect after I get it running

So you went all through the start and charge systems and found absolutely no faulty or corroded wires wire, or cruddy wire connections ?

Next up is testing the computer sensors for proper function, and inspecting and continuity testing all of their wire plugs and wire harnesses. Again, you are cleaning, looking for and testing for corroded, bent or pushed back wire plug pins, melted or chafed insulation, and short circuited or otherwise damaged wires.

Alright, I decided to get a new computer since that was all I was left to really cause it, and boom. Worked like a charm. Now I'm up and running great, thank yall for the help

There are several relays in the power distribution center that may be failing from wear and the cold. I used to have this problem, with my 92 in freezing temps in Reno.

Those larger blocky relays are inexpensive, so it does'nthurt so much to replace the ones that control the starter, fuel pump, key on power etc

Definitely use troubleshooting cues from a factory service manual, to find the correct relays that may be failing.

Back