• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

911 help

First off, what are the symptoms?

He called home and Mom and Dad sent cash fast via Western Union ...now he is no longer broke and broken .

Thanks, guys, I always find such great help on NAXJA & these jeep sites. As someone who's only ever driven jeeps, it makes me proud.

I was running off of my cell phone and hoping to JESUS; I would get some advice or help. AAA had it on the hook before one of you keyboard hero's saved me with your wit.

I had it towed, and Keller's on Gibraltar told me it was the Oil Pressure Switch and charged me $334.64 ($175.92 "Labor" & $143.04 for parts).

My XJ died on the way out of their parking lot, and I had to push it into a spot; they did not even have the goddamn decency to help me. So, now here I am. I have no time to work on it, college student and two jobs.

So I was hoping I could find a sweet shop that won't "charge" me $124.99 for an OP6185 "Oil Pressure Switch."

I am at the end of my rope here guys if anyone has a kind word or advice? Hell, if you can reccomend a shop that will not actively F&%k with me, that would be my savior.

Please, if you're a keyboard commando who gets his rocks yelling at people down on their luck; could you spare me? If you do not remember what it was like to know nothing, just pretend and think of the Lord's patience with you.

The switch is available for around $10 at rockauto. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to change out if it's the same as the sender for the guage. If they did change it, they need to warranty their work. You got completely ripped off but that's what happens when you go to a shop, unfortunately.

Thanks for the follow up.

I can't recommend any shop, I fix my own junk. If you were to PM a number and best times to contact you, I'd make the effort to meet up and look at your Jeep.

Back to square one.....what was the original symptom? An oil pressure switch does not cause an engine to shut down or quit.

Back to square one.....what was the original symptom? An oil pressure switch does not cause an engine to shut down or quit.

it can in the late models.
it gets reference voltage from the ECU, and when it fails it will take out the entire sensor rail.

BTDT.

As for the OP, unplug the oil pressure sensor.
It will run again.
It will set a CEL and check gauges will appear.

It's literally a 15 minute job to replace it, and IIRC the sender was like $25 for a good OEM quality replacement.
also, a year is kind of helpful.

I drove from Parker to Denver on I-25. About the capital building, the engine started sputtering, and the gauge cluster went dead, and the engine was sputtering. Sputtering lightly not like a hard jerky stall. The engine sounded "fine" on the way up and all gauges to that point were acting fine.

The things that got me was that it was sputtering / gauge cluster went dead which it was my understanding it is almost impossible to do?

Anyway, used my Bluetooth code scanner and it saw no code. Oddly a Check Engine Light tripped but did not persist - the check engine light came on after the car was stopped.

I was leaking nothing, and there were no visible signs from the engine that anything was out of order. I had oil, transmission fluid, radiator coolant, and power steering fluid. All lines were intact, and there was no lost fluid. I had a half tank of gas.

My inexpert opinion might lead me to the fuel system, would the engine trip off if insufficient pressure was in the fuel line?

Hypoid - Thanks for the offer, very kind of you. I previously fixed my junk too when I had time and could get my hand held by a mechanic buddy. Right now I'm going to Regis (ON CREDIT - 1-tonxj (btw u can be old and go to college)) & I have no frigging time or space to work. I found, ironically on NAXJA, a member who was a mechanic and he did great work. I wanted to do more work with him but he fled the area.

Idk I've been thinking of getting a renegade or a honda just to take the headaches away

The Jeep was cranking like it was a half dead battery? Battery is less than a year old, and the Alternator is NEW, I replaced two years ago with an OEM alternator from Cali. Was literally one of like three in MOPAR supply chain.

no, I didn't go with AAA shop. Keller's on Gibraltar was recommended by my Girlfriend who is usually spot on about this stuff and it was closer to the house.

She grew up in this area; I am from the Eagle Valley, been a front ranger for a year. I have never lived on the front range. I guess since she grew up here and said it was a reputable shop that I could use in "for emergencies."

My usual plan of attack is to get the vehicle back to running order and reprioritize "the list." I am fine with short term issues and it being out of service. Though it's my DD, need it to run; which it does like a Champion.

does it currently have gauges that function?
does it say "No Bus" in the odometer?

you may be better served posting a thread in OEM tech wit the details of what it's doing right now.

Update: Keller said OEM oil sensor, why it is so expensive. Also that the "New oil sensor failed and that's why it broke down, again."

Also, it's running and doing fine. I'm going to take the hit and get it away from them before I get taken for more $ i dont have

Back