• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 4.0 build

Re: cheapy welder build

Thanks for the progress report all is looking great. What rear diff are you running?

Its a xj44 4.88's spicer trac loc, I would like to sell it to fund my unfinished hp dana 50 rear

Picture125.jpg

Re: cheapy welder build

If you were local I'd buy that 44 in a heartbeat, and you could be on your way on that D50 build.

i thought that "cheapy welder" = you weld for a living and you are cheap? i subscribed because those 2 reasons sounded like a guy that would do a lot of his own fab work, and you have done that. so in the end i'm still happy.

My welder is a cheap one for sure, but not because I am cheap, its just what I could afford. It works good for what I am using it for. I changed the title because I felt it was unprofessional. I have plans to become a vendor, and sell a few innovative parts and services.
I ordered some ball joints and will be installing them later this week.
In the next couple of months I'll be:

remounting my rear shocks through the floor
work on the floor behind the back seat
building new shackles
more uni-body plating
re-mounting pan hard frame bracket
and either building a new front bumper or modifying the one I have for a winch

Got some work done this morning
this pigs getting heavy
Picture130.jpg

this is how I unscrew my lower bump stops
Picture131.jpg

before installing the new ball joints I wanted to burn in the inner C gussets better, with a second welding pass
Picture135.jpg

I welded these on a few months back and was conservative not to toast the joints. First I tried using some nickle rod, I didn't like the way it was flowing, I switched to 7018. the final pass was done with flux core.
first I heated everything up, real hot, how hot? I don't know. I heated the entire c, A rose bud would have bean better but, I don't have one
Picture136.jpg

here's the end result of my second pass,
Picture138.jpg

letting it cool down, and hopefully it wont be to difficult to get my bj press in there
Picture141.jpg

Picture157.jpg

The fitment of the front plate sucked. The plate basically ended half way into the stock bumper bolt holes and mostly covered up the others. I'll have to drill some new ones, but its probably better not to use the stock hole locations anyway. Perhaps its why they designed it this way and most bumpers wouldn't fit after welding these on.

Last edited:
Back