• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Xj still won't start

KellyS.

NAXJA Member #1370
Here's the problem:

I have an 89 with 4.0/auto. Approx. one month ago, I replaced the crank position sensor due to rotten coating on the wires. After it was replaced, the Jeep ran fine for a couple of weeks and then I smelled gas and discovered I had a couple of fuel injectors leaking. I replaced all of the o-rings on the injectors and the one for the fuel pressure regulator. I also changed the fuel line conectors,o-rings, and spacers on the fuel return and supply lines. After changing all of this, it wouldn't start. I thought it might have been the ballast resistor and I changed that. Still no luck! I pulled the coil wire and checked if it had any spark and it seemed to have plenty. Next, I checked to see if I was getting fuel by relieving the pressure on the relief vave on the fuel rail. (I don't have a gauge to check it the right way.) There wasn't a lot of gas that came out, only enough to squirt a little stream out about 2 inches. I was thinking it might not have been getting fuel, so I sprayed some starting fluid down the intake and it still wouldn't start. After cranking some more, I pulled one of the sparkplugs out and it was dry. Any ideas????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd do a fuel pressure test. Or maybe jump the 30 and 87 pin at the fuel pump relay base, so the fuel pump is constant on, for a test.
Somebody posted (search) a picture of the relay layout not long ago (which is which, in the rack of 4 or 3 wihtout A/C). But from experience you can't count on the diagram a hundred percent, I've seen two XJ's that had the relays in the wrong order so far. The fuel pump should come on for a few seconds each time you turn the ignition to the run position (It's on a timer).
I'd do a voltage test at the fuel pump in the rear. I had one that had a bad connection and was starved for electricity. It would occasionally work and sometimes not, depending on the contact in the connector. I once tore most of the wiring to the pump and the tank sender out, when drove over dead branch.
I had a fuel pressure regulator go out on me, don't know exactly what broke, but it sure messed with my starts and fuel delivery. A plugged fuel filter is always a possibility, I've emptied mine into a glass jar out of curiosity and gotten a serious amount of junk out of it. A bad TPS, can cause no fuel, through the injectors.
A couple of inches of squirt, doesn't sound right, with the fuel rail pressurized, fuel comes out of there in a serious flow. A fuel pressure gage is really the only way to know for sure.

I basicically had the same situation bout 2-3 weeks ago...Turned out to be a 4 some....
Coil....I had stronger and better spark coming from my Bic lighter
Ignition Module....looked at the underside...all blacked and sooty lookin
CPS...Only thin connected was the thick wire to the pickup and the 2 bolts on the tranny.
ECM..Ran NOID light on injectors....Light don't work,your not getting signal from puter to injector....no signal...no gas....no gas....no start.....
And for an extra measure ....the fuel filter........................

It's easy to replace the CPS or hardwire it at the first connector and have symptoms go away only to return. You need to check the cps connector in the engine bay but also back behind the fire wall.

I got an 87 from a guy who had intermittent problems with the latter connector...but could never figure it out. The connector behind the firewall on mine was really corroded...rewired it and haven't had a problem in almost a year. PITA problem to figure out...would start fine a dozen times and then just quit for days....until it got jarred hard enough, accidently, to make contact again.

did you check your grounds? i saw another post from you and put a picture with the ground locations im betting money you knocked loose that back ground or just enough to make corossion win.. check it

If you are getting spark, your CPS is not bad. Try a fresh set of plugs. If the plugs got wet fouled they can be a bummer to get running again. Use a set of the cheapes champions you can get. They work as well or better than the high dollar plugs.

If you are getting spark and have put carb cleaner or starter fluid down the intake and it still doesn't fire, the plugs must be fouled. Alternatively, have a buddy hold the TPS in the full open position while you crank. That turns off the fuel to the injectors. The plugs may clean up enough to catch, but sometimes the easiest is $5 worth of plugs.

I replaced the IAC on my 87 this weekend, it seems to have corrected a cold stalling issue and the later issue of it hard starting. 83 bux at parts house, AutoZone quoted 66 but it was not in stock.

My 89 has a similar problem on occasion. There is a sensor in the intake manifold near the firewall, and it has a disconnect harness next to the valve cover. If I unplug and plug the connector three times (maybe this resets the computer input), my Jeep starts right up.

Are talking about the connection at the fuel pressure regulator? At first I didn't have it connected all the way and then, I pulled it apart and one of the o-rings was messed up and not letting it go in all of the way. I put new o-rings and the little spacer back on and I worked at it for a long time and finally got it in all of the way. It is still doing the same thing as before. I believe there is supposed to an o-ring and then a spacer and another o-ring. Is that right?

KellyS. said:
Are talking about the connection at the fuel pressure regulator? At first I didn't have it connected all the way and then, I pulled it apart and one of the o-rings was messed up and not letting it go in all of the way. I put new o-rings and the little spacer back on and I worked at it for a long time and finally got it in all of the way. It is still doing the same thing as before. I believe there is supposed to an o-ring and then a spacer and another o-ring. Is that right?
No the other end of the rail where the fuel comes in.

I know this sounds silly, but I had a problem where I wasn't getting enough fuel coming through to start the car, and the problem was the fuel filter. It was leaking a bit, and as the car would sit overnight, the fuel that was in the lines between the tank and the engine would slowly drain out. It was a little and almost unnoticable leak, but I'm glad I caught it. --- That doesn't really sound like your problem, but you might check it and also maybe just replace the plugs. Champion truck plugs are great.

langer1 said:
No the other end of the rail where the fuel comes in.

I'm confused....I thought the fuel would have to pass through the the fuel pressure regulator first and then the return line would be the one at the back of the engine compartment.

My CJ is so much easier to work on! LOL!!!

Yep your confused, it's a bypass regulator, the fuel comes in near the fire wall and what's not used by the engine flows back through the regulator to the tank.

Thanks Langer. I really was thinking backwards. I will check it out tomorrow and see if that helps. You have been great in helping me out so far.

I checked the connection and it seemed to be ok. To make sure it was getting fuel to the fuel rail, I unhooked it and put the fuel line in a container. Next, I turned the key on and the fuel seemed to flow just fine. I hooked it back up and it still wouldn't start. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Back