• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Xj still won't start

Then it's time to start over. You said in your first post you had spark but starting fluid did not fire it. That would indicate there is more than a fuel problem. Check the spark to the pluges using a screw driver, you need at least 1 1/2" of blue spark a 1/2" of yellow spark will not fire a plug under compression.
'

If you have spark and fuel, my guess would be that your crank sensor went bad again. You said you were having wiring problems to the sensor itself. You may have a broken wire to the sensor.

I have found that the autozone and o'really's parts (especially electrical) aren't worth a darn...get OEM parts...

Moparpro said:
If you have spark and fuel, my guess would be that your crank sensor went bad again. You said you were having wiring problems to the sensor itself. You may have a broken wire to the sensor.
You don't have spark when you have a bad crank sensor.

I was thinking it might not have been getting fuel, so I sprayed some starting fluid down the intake and it still wouldn't start.
Where are you checking spark? At the plug wires, the coil? If you have spark at the plug wires it should have done somthing.

Sounds like it's time to start over. I would pull apart everything that you last worked on, fuel injectors and regulator. I have found that starting fluid, unless used in dangerously huge quantities on its own will not start the 4.0. If you have some fuel present the starting fluid can help. Those O rings are tricky and can bind and break allowing air to pass by the injector. Also check any connections that you may have disturbed while replacing the O rings. I don't think that you have "the evil C-101 connector" but if you do that could be it. I never can remember when that was eliminated.

Neil

Back