• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Paint codes

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well I painted my fender thats suppost to match my 89 paint code. The Code of the tag on the firewall reads PE4. Napa matched it to a color called Colorado Red. Checked it on another site where they listed paint chips and it seemed to match pretty well. It's not the frie or bright red but the darker red. Well I paint the fender and the color do not match. The Colorado red give to me by Napa has way to much orange in it as is almost a fire or bright red, not the darker red of my Jeep. Now I know the pain may have faded a bit but the passenger door was repaired and painted at some time with the same type of paint (colorwise) that I got from Napa and it's been on there since we hava had the XJ, 91 and you can see the difference in due to fading. Anyone have a correct color code for this year? I'll try to grab some pics tommorrow. It's almost like the color the XJ was apinted with isn't the same as the paint code.

I have that same color on mine and have the same issue... The sun turned that color way darker and different. If you wax up inside your gas cap or somehwere you will see the differnce is night and day between the color on the car and what it was when they sprayed it on at the factory.. the napa color could be off but i know for a fact colorado red is no where near the shade my jeep is now but on parts that werent exposed to sun thats whats there

Ok here are some pics, not the greatest but you can see the difference:

Fender I just painted vs. Old Paint
DSCF0920.jpg

Old repaint vs. original paint:
DSCF0921.jpg

Again the passenger door was apitned prior to 91 so it has sun fade damage about the same amount as the original paint. You can still tell the difference and there is more orange in it.

The photo above you can see the fender I painted matches the hues of the faded passenger door, but not the original paint. It's darker. Even in areas not exposed to the sun the paint is still darker.

I'm with wilcharl. I have a 90 and 92 with colorado red. It isn't the same color as new but darker. you would have to get paint tinted to match for touch up like a fender or hood.

I think i found the problem. The actual 89 paint chip for Colorado Red is the orangish color I got. But if you jump up a year to 90, it carries the Colorado Red name over but the shade changed, to what is pretty much on my Jeep now. So basicly my 89 got painted with 90 year model paint. Back to Napa to get Colorado Red in the 90 year. I'll post up if it turns out better.

The problem is sun fading. I put new fenders on the '88 MJ in Colorado Red. The new paint is slightly lighter or more orange-ish than the rest of the body. However ... the previous owner at some point removed the "4x4" badges from the sides of the cab, and the relatively unexposed paint under the badges matches the new paint almost perfectly.

The sun darkens the red, for some reason.

Back