• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 MJ Totalled, the Resurrection!

We are getting closer to having a road ready MJ!

The interior is done. It now has a new headliner and carpet, waiting on the new antenna to come in then we will finish up the stereo and dash.

I got the drivers side fender and door hung today, will do the pass side tomorrow night.

The "new to us" bed will go on Sunday.

1119122105.jpg

Nope! we like the "classic" front end. I have a 2000 XJ Classic and hate the way it looks. The older body style has just enough fugly for us LOL!

really nice work on this.

Thank You!

I hit a speed bump on the rebuild :(

The pass side door does not want to fit the way it should. I have all of the gaps and body lines correct but the window frame is "out" at the A pillar and "in" at the B pillar. I have my body/fender mechanic coming over on Saturday to tweak the door frame for a better fit. He is going to dolly out some dings and wrap it in primer if he has time then it will be ready for mechanical repairs to begin. Most of which are just fluid changes and fixing the front end alignment that is now extremely toed out.

I saw the thread where it was wrecked but I just found this thread. So glad to see you are putting it back together! This was a great looking truck before the wreck!

I saw the thread where it was wrecked but I just found this thread. So glad to see you are putting it back together! This was a great looking truck before the wreck!

Thanks, and it will be again! I got it running today. It fired right up after making a few repairs to the e-fan controller(old one burnt up in the roll over). I hadn't let it run much since the wreck as I didn't want it to overheat.

A testimony to how tough the 4.0L 242 is, this engine ran upside down for 3-5min while my son was unconscious in the cab and then unable to get out of the door.

It still has a solid 40psi of oil pressure at idle and runs smooth and quiet. AMAZING!

Thanks, and it will be again! I got it running today. It fired right up after making a few repairs to the e-fan controller(old one burnt up in the roll over). I hadn't let it run much since the wreck as I didn't want it to overheat.

A testimony to how tough the 4.0L 242 is, this engine ran upside down for 3-5min while my son was unconscious in the cab and then unable to get out of the door.

It still has a solid 40psi of oil pressure at idle and runs smooth and quiet. AMAZING!

we let one set overnight upside down once....5-7 hrs of winch work in the am and it was righted, then i bumped the key once to see if it was locked, it wasnt so i started it :wierd: fired right up and ran like a champ, then an hour later after filling the clutch and brake reservoirs its owner drove it 2 hrs home

the 4.0 will run on sawdust.....

Looks good Jon, nice progress. That engine bay is super clean too, looks much nicer than my heep. Are you painting it silver again when it's time for paint?

If it ends up being an axle or something, give me a shout. You'll have to pull it though.:D

Thanks for the offer, I got a couple of extra D-turdys though

Looks good Jon, nice progress. That engine bay is super clean too, looks much nicer than my heep. Are you painting it silver again when it's time for paint?

Yes but he wants to go a couple of shades darker this time to almost a grey. We used the paint code off of my 09 HEMI Commander for the last paint job and he said it was too light:dunno:

you've given me some inspiration that my project will workout just fine :) i am picking up a rolled mj on tuesday. i kept telling myself that it would be possible to just replace the sheet metal on the roof, and from the looks of it, it is definitely possible.

here is what im starting with :) the price is definitely right. if it winds up being unsalvageable, ill just scrap what i don't need to make my money back

100MEDIA36IMAG0145.jpg

you've given me some inspiration that my project will workout just fine :) i am picking up a rolled mj on tuesday. i kept telling myself that it would be possible to just replace the sheet metal on the roof, and from the looks of it, it is definitely possible.

here is what im starting with :) the price is definitely right. if it winds up being unsalvageable, ill just scrap what i don't need to make my money back

100MEDIA36IMAG0145.jpg

when you give up i'll come get it.......;)

100MEDIA36IMAG0145.jpg

Heck thats a easy fix! You could re-skin it but i would just dolly it out and skim coat it. Our MJ was about that bad from the first roll-over when we bought it(Yes this MJ has been rolled twice!). I would have that thing on the road in a week LOL!

Any MJ that has a solid cab and frame is worth fixing IMHO. A bed can be had for $200-400, then some XJ doors/fenders/interior/drivetrain. The only thing that is hard to find is taillights(someone needs to make LED tail light boxes for the MJ). On a short box MJ you can use a S-10 short box bed cover. Bed liners can be found as well. Headliners had been an issue until just recently when Custom Headliners decided to make a really nice headliner for the MJ. I helped Steve develop the prototype. It took him 4 attempts but its damn near perfect now as you can see in my pics.

Back