• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 AW4 trans grinding gears / ratcheting sound

badgator

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 AW4 sounds like it's grinding gears, under light throttle, it will literally pop out of gear (for a couple seconds) into neutral, grind / ratcheting sound, back into gear.

Fluid is clean, TV adjusted, TPS adjusted, 242 transfer case in 2wd.

Definitely not the trans mount.

Has happened 5-6 times in the last month I don't drive it much, 45-50 mph .

Tell me what you think.

x2 on flexplate.

X2 on transfer case. The transmission its self I dont think would do that unless one of planetaries was going out. But you would be having major problems.

I think the transfer case is coming out of gear and finds its way back because gear teeth are worn.

How many miles, and have you changed the fluid in it?

This is a original Orlando FL Jeep Limited 168k bought 150k. Probably been "offroad" ten times by me. I doubt any prior owner was ever off road, much less needed 4wd.

Transfluid - less than 15k mi, was fairly clean and no trans problems, changed just as maintenance. Added inline filter w/magnet.

Transfer case - When driveshaft was binding I disassembled the tc, very clean, no chain slop, shift pads were worn though. All ujoints changed at this time, left front driveshaft off as were I go "off road" 4wd is not needed.

Did you check the flexplate for cracks and the bolts for tightness?

Do you think it might be the trans clutches?

I would think the flexplate would cause problems all the time if it was bad.:dunno:

Not so much clutch plates but mabey the planetaries?

Only with light throttle? Torque converter? Could be whats slipping.

I had a similer problem with our 99 dodge ram. It made a grinding noise when it reached about 40 with light throttle. Nothing looked wrong inside. they said it could be the converter. Changed it and it went away.

Not saying thats the problem for you. Just could be. :confused:

Now I'm thinking it's the transfer case.

Engine is coming out as i am installing a Mercedes turbo diesel (I have 2 in my garage),

maybe later this month, I already have most of the adapter plate done, the torque converter

was being replaced anyhow. I think you could use the same adapter and Jeep bellhousing in a

toyota too.

I'm actually making 2 adapters now because I want a Comanche, I'll end up selling the

Cherokee lather this year.

Back