• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Xj Stall & No Start

The new grounds are in. I am happier with the head/chassis ground than I am with the four that attach at the oil dipstick (because the temperatures we have had forced me to crimp these smaller gauge wire connections) but, all appeared well during my initial test drive yesterday afternoon. Regardless, it was easy to expose clean shiny wire for each cut and crimp I made. I can improve these when warmer weather returns.

The original CPS is back in use and I observed no issues with stall, no start, etc. At this point, since the no start was becoming more frequent I am close to concluding my replacement CPS (NAPA Echlin) had some type of issue. This would be a surprise to me in that I have defaulted to NAPA parts for years because I've never had issues. Only time with the original CPS and trying the Echlin CPS again will tell for certain. I also need to be careful with the "coincidence" of my stall, no start with any other work I perform on the vehicle as well as the C101 concerns.

Rick

I am staring to think the Autozone CPS I installed 2 weeks ago on my 89 may be funky as well, especially after tonight's odd DMM readings on the last no start I just had. I got 0.003 Volts the first crank with the DMM meter connector. The second crank I got more voltage than I ever previously got, .33V just before the engine fired up. The second crank fired up in just 2 seconds, after about 12 failed start attempts of 6 second cranks.

87Mancha, I have question. The shorting trick, is it the CPS sensor, or the ECU harness side connections that you want to short? Obviously if the CPS is soldered in place the question is mute.

just the CPS side. If you made sure the gnition was off I suppose you could short it if it was soldered, but I don't know if it would work.

No idea why it makes them come back to life, but I've "fixed" quite a few 4.0 no starts just by shorting it for 10 seconds and plugging it back in.
The last one was my brothers on the trail in Harlan, he still hasn't replaced that sensor after 6 months and it's never had an issue again, this after it stopped dead from running.

Back