• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 mj 4cyl trans swap (dead horse?)

iam getting/got a 88 jeep 4cyl 4sp and so sorry if this has been covered :arrowr::arrowr:hasta:rattle: but i (love smileys) have been srearching :badpc::paperworkand cant find what i want to know if i can change the transmisson to a better five speed like a ax-15 iam not really sure of the liter how do i tell i would look but its keep at couisns house and if i swap what would i have to change very limted budget family owns a sucky junk yard i could might could scour iam 16 still owe on this truck so i cant go buying alot can some body point me in the right area if its too complactied i will leave it be but its no fun cruisnig at 55 for lowish rpms and first is too fast

i hope yall can help me or even read it sorry:yap:

ps can 6cyl parts work with out going too far over bored :confused::gonnablow

ok now do you know if its a pull and almost install transfer? like maybe probably reuse the bell housing and i do not know if the junk yard iam going to go has a ax-15 or even a jeep with manual the mj they have is a 6cyl auto.

is this a good reference guide to search with http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm
novak site said:
The Aisin Warner AX15 transmission is a very successful, medium-duty, standard shift, five-speed transmission. It was introduced in the 1988 (mid-year) YJ Wrangler and XJ / MJ Cherokee / Comanche Jeeps, and found in 1988-1999 Jeep XJ, YJ & TJ models. Its only year in the ZJ Grand Cherokee was 1993, and only with the six-cylinder.
\\

i read that they started make the ax15 in 87 and guessing about slaves the internals was made till mid 93 use that? just to be lazy.

iam running in circles so other model jeeps seem like the work with out adapters i also seen that longer/shorter(?) shafts from the ax15 donor be need since theres 2in diff.

i need to know what parts i need and yes i thought about the axles iam seeing that a new clutch camaro here
http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?t=240 said:
I have seen the question come up from time to time about the possibilty of swaping a AX15 in place of a lighter duty AX5 used behind the AMC 2.5L 4cyl. It is quite doable and is mostly a bolt in with a few expections. First you MUST change the bellhousing as the AX15 will not mate up with AX5 bellhousing. The soluiton for this is to use a bellhousing out of a 96 to 98 Dakota with a 2.5 (same engine) as it came with a AX15 too. The next big problem is the pilot bearing. The diameter is the same but the depth is different. The AX 15 input shaft does not stick out as far so you need a pilot bearing that sitcks out about 1/2 inch or so. (you may be able to use one for a NV4500 with a bit of work or better yet maybe the one for a dakota). Next there is the clutch spline issue, the AX5 has a 9 inch diameter disc with a 1 inch diameter 14 spline input shaft. The AX15 has a 1 1/8 diameter input shaft with 10 splines. Here, a clutch disc for a 84 camaro with a 4cyl and a 4speed will work. The clutch slave cyclinder are the same on late model Jeeps with internally mounted slaves and the Dakota bellhousing needed for this conversion. This covers the major issues. You will still need to modify mounts and adjust drive shaft lenghts a bit for tranny and bellhousing combo is a bit longer (about 2 inches or so) and there is the potentail for a output shaft spline mismatch as the AX5 can be 21 or 23 spline while the AX15 is 23 spline.

ok long story longer , donor axles or get a freind to fab mine, 84 camaro 4cyl 4sp clutch , pilot bearing the ax15 its self , sealer , iam thinking i can do this probably try getting this thread removed since i probably found out all i need in leaps and bounds now just have to find see how much and work

If you do the Dakota swap make sure you find a later AX15 with an external slave,you can convert an internal slave trans to external but you have to either track down used parts or buy new which are a bit spendy. AX15 came mid year 89,before that was the BA10/5 the external slave came around 94.
You can also use an AX15 from a wrangler but the TC clocking is a little different.

IMO unless your jeep is highly modified I would just bolt in an AX5 and be done rather then swap in the AX15.

Another thing,you transfer case will not directly fit an AX15

Back