• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 1/2 inch speaker for 98 XJ

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to put new speakers in my front doors. Its a 98 with the newer interior. Crutchfield says 5 1/4 inchers go in there. Another site says 6 1/2 will go in there.
Anyone know what fits? I have looked up past threads on this but no definitive answers.
Anyone put 6 1/2 inchers in theirs? Front doors is where I want them.
I don't mind doing a little trimming. Just want a good fit, thats all.
Thanks folks.

The stock size for my '97 is 5.25 and that is what I have in there. On the otherhand, you can put 6.5's in with little to no trimming. My '87 has 6.5's in the doors and I didnt have to trim them at all. I too have seen both sizes quoted for what fits, but I know for a fact that my '97 had and has 5.25's in it.

How peculiar. My Crutchfield catalog says the 97 and newer XJs use 6-1/2 inch speakers in the front doors and 5-1/4 inch in the rear sound bar. The 96 and older used 5-1/4 inch in the doors.

Yea, but if you look at scoche they say that the Cherokee '87-'01 use 5.25. I don't think anyone is really sure. Why don't you just go out and measure it to see what you have. The door panels are what 4 screws? I know for a fact that I have 5.25 in my '97 doors.

Hey, they all use 5.25". 6.5" will not fit, and don't trim to make them. 5.25s will fit perfectly, sound just as good, and cost less than the bigger speakers. I was going to trim mine, bad move!

When I went to the link, for front door speakers in a 1998 Cherokee (without Infinity sound system) it showed me 6-1/2" speakers -- no notes about having to drill new holes.

When I went back and changed the vehicle to a 1996 Cherokee, it showed me 5-1/4" speakers for the front doors.

Drake's correct.

I've had 6.5's all the way around in my '97 Sport since I had my new stereo installed late that same year.

icon7.gif

Drake00XJ said:
Click on the link labled "Easy Fit" above the pic of any 6.5 speaker. It will bring up a new window which stated how it fits.

you've had 6 and halfs all the way around, how does it sound?

It almost seems like there would be to much bass. What are you using for your midrange and high range? the 6 1/2 are better suited for mid-lowrange but not higher up.

5.25 will fit perfectly, dont try and squeeze 6-1/2 in without trimming if its tight- , if you bend the frame on the speaker and throw the cone and voice coil out of alignment, there goes some new speakers, some 6-1/2 fit nicely in doors- however 6-1/2 fit perfectly in the rear overhead soundbar! and if you buy from crutchfield your insane :lecture:

Hey stock sizes are 5.25". You can fit the 6.5" but you will do trimming to make it fit. I have 6.5"s in all four doors with 6x9"s in the rear hatch and i did some trimming. Sounds great in the front, but the hatch rattles a bit(mostly cuz my apholstery plugs broke). It's trully up to how much work you wanna do, as to which size to install. here's some pics of my setup. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/676118

later
dusty

Last edited:
I too have had some difficulties with this topic. crutchfield is a waste of time and money. 5.25's came out of my front doors, 2000 sport. 5.25" infinity's seem too small whn i tried the install. 6.5's will fit but you need to watch the depth of the speakers. you will have to get some slim line speakers that have a minimal mounting depth. i used to know what the number was but have since forgotten. the problem is that the windows will hit the magnet on the speaker when put down. good luck to you.

Here's something else to consider when installing the larger 6.5" speakers...

It sounds like the mounting locations as well as the door/hatch panels must be trimmed in most cases. If the panels aren't trimmed to install the larger grills of the new speakers, some of the sound coming out of the speakers will be blocked resulting in a slight loss of sound quality. So, things get trimmed and larger grills get installed to ensure no loss.

However, by installing the new, fancy grills that come with the speakers, you are showing any perspective thieves that you have something other than OEM junk installed..... When I replace the speakers in my '91, I will be installing speakers of identical size so I can leave the factory speaker grills installed. Hopefully, that will keep my speakers installed also.

Just something to think about..... :)

In any event, nice work Dusty. :)

gw204 said:
When I replace the speakers in my '91, I will be installing speakers of identical size so I can leave the factory speaker grills installed. Hopefully, that will keep my speakers installed also.

Just something to think about..... :)

In any event, nice work Dusty. :)
I too wondered about that seens i attend college in St. Louis. But over 3 months now and nothing stolen, so i guess they don't find anything to tempting...not only that but when they look in the window they'll always look at the deck first and mines stock. They just don't know about the amp under the back seat!LOL
Thanx for the compliment.

Sounds good to me, but sound is a subjective thing of course.

Certianly a nice grade to the OEM paper cones.

I got 4 6.5" Pioneer Coaxial (2-ways). Forgot the model number but since it's been 7 years I doubt if that would help you anyway.

Whatever you choose, do yourself a favor and solder (or have the installation guys solder) the speaker terminals rather than using push-on connectors. I had to re-do the right front speaker in the past and now the left front is loose. :doh:

Good luck!!!
icon7.gif

Z22_Z33 said:
you've had 6 and halfs all the way around, how does it sound?

It almost seems like there would be to much bass. What are you using for your midrange and high range? the 6 1/2 are better suited for mid-lowrange but not higher up.

Infinity makes a 6002si model that will fit. (shallow depth) Crutchfield states that you only have to re-drill the mounting holes for the 6.5 and then place the door panel back on. There is a wide selection of different speakers to fit this depth as well. I will not be buying from crutchfield. Tons of great deals on eBay though.

Back