• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.3L V6 Turbo engine swap?

epix

NAXJA Forum User
Was just joking around with the idea of what to do with my spare built GMC Syclone/Typhoon 4.3L V6 Turbo motor and step dad made a joke about putting it in my Cherokee..

Has anyone put a Chevy 4.3L V6 into an XJ? I've seen SBC's I know.. also I know for sure this engine will put out at least 400HP no problem if not closer to 500HP with the turbocharger I have.

Jeep is my daily driver so does anyone know if the stock XJ components (transfer case/axles/etc) can handle this? Gas mileage really isn't an issue as I get around 20mpg off my other similar motor in the Typhoon (which I'm assuming weighs about the same (4300lb).

If its a big hassle I might as well put it in a 79' Camaro I bought over the winter that only sports a 130HP Straight 6.

Its just an idea right now.. Comments?

as in? compared to the stock 4.0L it will have plenty of torque ~2500rpm when the turbo is spooled

Non turbo 4.3 in an XJ :D
motor1.jpg

gradon said:
So is everything stock on the motor with a better turbo?
no, the engine is built up quite a bit.. has Forged pistons, Eagle H-Beam forged rods, upgraded heads, cam, etc.. about the only thing stock is the upper intake :)

hellbilly04, what did you need to modify to put it in there, what about wiring?

Here is a couple pics of the engine I am thinking of putting in..
PICT0004.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

into this:
dsc_0628.jpg

I did not do the swap on it. The GM computer is wired into the Jeep harness, motor mounts are an early 80's style & cross member is custom made. Ther only issue I see with your motor is the turbo down pipe might stick down a little too far as thats about where lower rad hose is.

epix said:
hellbilly04, what did you need to modify to put it in there, what about wiring?

oh man just get that done, looks like a minty motor.

i know those sleeper gm's are rockets, with proper gearing your xj would be sick in the mud and tearing a$$ up hills.

I would think that the 2.8 and 4.3 share the same mounts/mounting locations. The early xjs with the 2.8 have a different engine bay than the later 4.0s so you might want to ask around about the difs with some pics.

gradon said:
I would think that the 2.8 and 4.3 share the same mounts/mounting locations. The early xjs with the 2.8 have a different engine bay than the later 4.0s so you might want to ask around about the difs with some pics.

Different bellhousing mounting. Basically like a SBC, but missing 2 cylinders. Same bore, same stroke, same layout.

Make sure to get the turbo up high, cold water on a hot turbine, you may end up splitting it. Make sure your tranny and axles are built to handle the extra TQ and HP of the turbo'd 4.3.

there is a thread about a 4.3 turbo engine in a cherokee. it was found in a barn or something and is being restored. it had a crazy extended header panel and was part of jeeps research projects or something. looked pretty cool

pro-rallye said:
there is a thread about a 4.3 turbo engine in a cherokee. it was found in a barn or something and is being restored. it had a crazy extended header panel and was part of jeeps research projects or something. looked pretty cool

It was actually a Buick Grand National 3.8, IIRC.

Bryson said:
I find it funny how there was a completely different response to your thread on the Jeep Forum ;)

yeah thats what i was thinking. I still would rather not see a chevy motor in a jeep though

Back