• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

.38 special too much for a woman?

My wife likes her LCP and XD .40 sub compact.

Mom liked her .38 spl, but less so now that she has a Kel-tec P3AT, and with a bit of practice she's now deadly accurate with her GLOCK 17. I keep trying to convice her otherwise, but her absolute favorite is her Walther P22.

Just an opinion, getting it out and firing it can be a more important consideration than caliber size (within reason). Though the ergonomics (how well it fits) of a pistol are important.
Practice getting it out and into action quickly, immediate action drills.
Think of it like a lock blade knife you bought for the first time. Chances are your going to fumble around trying to get it out of your pocket and opening the blade the first 50 times or so. Enough practice and you can do it in a couple (few seconds) whenever you need to.
This is very true. It is why my first action upon buying anything of the sort (just knives, and my dinky little .177 air pistol so far) is to practice either flipping the blade open or shooting it. I nearly wore out the pivot on my current knife practicing, but I can have it out of the side pocket of my carpenter's pants and open before it gets above my waistband in a fraction of a second now.

I've seen small women who can handle something like a .454 Casull or a .500 Smith just fine - better than some large men! It's as much a matter of mindset as anything else.

Second on allowing her to "test-fire" as much as possible.

If she thinks about getting an auto, let me offer some points:
1) Avoid double-stacks, unless she has fairly long fingers to wrap around the grip (I don't like them myself - I have large palms and short, stubby fingers. The M1911/M1991 series points like my finger, and just about grows out of my fist.)
2) I don't care for this "light weight pistol" trend in autos - and felt recoil does go up as weight goes down (what doesn't get used up in cycling the action/compressing the recoil spring acts upon the mass of the pistol. More mass = less action, which is why I prefer my CRES M1991A1 over the G19 I once had - despite the G19 holding twice as many rounds.)
3) Again, if auto, work on wrist strength. Autos prefer a locked wrist (or at least a very stiff wrist) for effective cycling - the usual result of "limp-wristing" an auto is a stovepipe jam. (Which is easy to clear - it's just an incompleat cycling. You can either just "wipe" the round off of the top and hope that the next round just got held up on the way in, or do the standard "tap/rack/bang" drill - "tap" the magazine back up into the butt, "rack" the slide, and "bang" shoot the bad guys.)

Also note that the more common autos (especially the 1911/1991 series!) can have the recoil spring replaced with springs of varying strength - for instance, I took out the stock (12# or so) recoil spring in my 1991A1 and replaced it with an 18# spring. When throwing 230-gr hardball downrange, I can dump it as fast as my finger can twitch, and it will look like the pistol is just vibrating a bit. Before, I had to slow down considerably due to muzzle flip. (Since "anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice," I like having the follow-up round to land more or less an inch or so away from the first, instead of a foot or so and possibly missing.)

@goodbourbon - probably the very last thing I'd want to be shot with is a .22LR. The bullet is soft and deforms easily, and there have been plenty of documented cases of that bullet ending up nowhere near where it went in, not taking a straight course, andmaking a hairy nuisance of itself all along the way. And, the ammo is cheap and the firearms are usually very easy to handle! You could have trouble getting an effective headshot with a .22, but go for the double body shot and you'll probably end up homogenizing something important in the bad guy...

@kastein - I know what you mean. I've got standard-issue production folders that people are convinced are spring-assisted (although they are not. I don't care for them.) How? When you get it out of the box, it will need some light polishing. Take it to bits, and put some cheap-O toothpaste on the hilt of the knife blade, then reassemble (preferably without the locking mechanism, if you can swing it. You'll still need both liners in place for this, so it may not be doable.)

Pick something you can do for 20-30 minutes without using your hands (usually, sit down and watch a good portion of a decent movie.) Work the knife as far between "folded" and "extended" as you can without having to break rhythm.

After 20-30 minutes of that, take it to bits again and wash with hot water to remove the toothpaste.

Use a quality lube - preferably one that leaves a dry film (I prefer C-L-P,) on the hinge area, and reassemble.

Spend another five minutes or so doing what you did with the toothpaste.

Apply a fresh drop or two of lube to each side of the knife bolster. Work it in (just a few strokes this time) and let it sit overnight.

In the morning, check operation. Adjust the hinge screw until you get desired tension on your knife mechanism (I prefer it just a touch stiff - you don't want it to unfold in your pocket to any degree, but your thumb should be easily able to overcome the resistance of the hinge.)

Wash and re-lube annually, more often as needed.

mikeam7750 said:
Back to the original question, .38 special only comes in a revolver which can be a little bulky.

That's just flat out untrue; see S&W Model 52 for example.

There are also .38 Super versions of the 1911; generally pricey, but nice weapons.

not really the 2 people next to the target would feel it but it wouldn't f them up.
sometimes cops link arms when they do there cert.

Got my wife a Tarus .38 snubby, 5 shot, almost too small for me to shoot but fits her well. That was 16 or so years ago when Tarus were good quality, don't know about now a days... it actually is small enough to fit in a baggy pair of pants pocket which is pretty small for a revolver.

Taurus wheel guns are still good, and their autos are improving. I had one of their millenium pro 145 models. That one packed a wallop. Accurate, but not very fun to shoot.

Just don't buy her a Bryco and she'll be alright :D

No...... I'd say a .38 special could take down most women, without being to overly powerful for the job. I mean it beats using a 44 on one I guess.

No seriously, my wife has her CCW permit, and she carries a 38 special snubnosed revolver. Its double action, and I shaved the spur off the hammer so it wouldn't get hung up if she needed to pull it out of her purse or anything. I also did some trigger work on it as well.

Taurus wheel guns are still good, and their autos are improving. I had one of their millenium pro 145 models. That one packed a wallop. Accurate, but not very fun to shoot.

Meh, they're turning to junk in the last few years. You couldn't pay me to use one. Have seen a PT1911 go full auto straight out of the box and a couple of revolvers with EASILY 30lb triggers from crap binding up inside, again right out of the box. PASS.

It's really not a question of whether it's too much for a woman, it's a question of training and proper technique. There's really nothing about a woman that makes them less inherently capable of handling a given firearm compared to a random man. With training and practice (which I sure as hell hope anyone who chooses to carry will engage in regularly) a woman will have no trouble at all with a .38spl in a revolver. My fiance carries a S&W 642 and has no problem at all with it. The important thing is that she is very familiar with its operation, and knows the proper technique for shooting a revolver. I carry a S&W 340PD and my fiance isn't bothered at all shooting .357mag out of my gun (which weighs 12 ounces.) The point here is that training and practice make all the difference in the world.

Training will determine whether she is capable of handling it, not her X chromosome.
If you want to get her a wheel gun, get one with no external hammer that could get caught on "stuff" in her purse or wherever she will be carrying it. Get her a small frame snub nose.
My concern is that most school campuses these days will not allow firearms. Just something to think about.

Back