• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

.357 Sig or .40 S&W

Which Caliber for my new CCW Weapon

• .40 S&W

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • .357 Sig

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, you're mind is set on make and model. Cost and ammo availability are not a factor. So what's the question? Ballistics? That's black and white for factory loads, but you can roll your own to be, really, whatever you want. It'd be the same argument for 9mm vs. .45; light and fast vs. fat and slow, muzzle energy vs. down range energy, etc...

What factors are you considering in your decision?

I Apoligize, I should have been more specific. I guess i'm just looking for opinions from folks that have experience shooting the .357 Sig, and how they compare it to the .40, as far as accuracy, recoil, etc. etc. I've shot plenty of .40 but no .357 Sig. I've heard plenty of good things about the .357 Sig, and i'm actually leaning towards it. Like stated earlier, I think one downfall, is that there isn't much selection as far as loadings, then again I wouldn't shoot anything other than 125 grain out of it, as thats what cartridge it was designed to perform the best with. As far as availability, I always see it on the shelves in Wally World. I suppose i'm just looking for a few more opinions from those with experience.

if sig makes a 45 get it if not get a 40

I'm with ya on the .45 Jim, my current carry weapon is in .45, but i'm looking for something smaller and lighter. The .45 works about 75% of the time but that other 25% of the time, a lighter more concealable package would definitely be nice. I have yet to find anything in a .45 that is the size i'm looking for, without sacrificing capacity.

you need tohit what you are aiming at then you don't need capacity just carry a extra clip if it makes you more secure' seems to me the bulge is a indicator that your packing and a warning sign i have a gun don't mess with me '

I Apoligize, I should have been more specific. I guess i'm just looking for opinions from folks that have experience shooting the .357 Sig, and how they compare it to the .40, as far as accuracy, recoil, etc. etc. I've shot plenty of .40 but no .357 Sig. I've heard plenty of good things about the .357 Sig, and i'm actually leaning towards it. Like stated earlier, I think one downfall, is that there isn't much selection as far as loadings, then again I wouldn't shoot anything other than 125 grain out of it, as thats what cartridge it was designed to perform the best with. As far as availability, I always see it on the shelves in Wally World. I suppose i'm just looking for a few more opinions from those with experience.

I've shot a alot of both and I enjoy the .357Sig alot more. I was confused when people started talking guns, cause I thought we were talking cartridges, which we were.

I'm not a Glock fan, but that's all we have that is .357Sig, and it does well. We also have a .40 cal Glock and it does ok too, but that .357 is so much more fun to shoot.

If you are a fan of Glocks, I understand you can take a Glock 20 (10mm version) and change the barrels out and you can shoot both the .40 and .357 our of it. I believe you can even use the same clip but don't quote me on that part, even though it makes complete sense.

I've shot a alot of both and I enjoy the .357Sig alot more. I was confused when people started talking guns, cause I thought we were talking cartridges, which we were.

I'm not a Glock fan, but that's all we have that is .357Sig, and it does well. We also have a .40 cal Glock and it does ok too, but that .357 is so much more fun to shoot.

If you are a fan of Glocks, I understand you can take a Glock 20 (10mm version) and change the barrels out and you can shoot both the .40 and .357 our of it. I believe you can even use the same clip but don't quote me on that part, even though it makes complete sense.

Thanks for your input, Its come up in converstaion between friends, and most people say to go with .40, but then I ask them if they have ever shot a .357 Sig, and most say no. I'm not a Glock fan, but have considered a Glock 20 for a mountain gun.

Have you considered the G36? Its a slimline subcompact .45 ACP.
The G38 is .45 GAP and holds a couple more rounds.
If you want a higher capacity, take a look at the G23 and 23C... compact and holds 13 .40 S&W rounds.

Gocks are great firearms... you should take a closer look at em.

Last edited:
I actually did for about 2 seconds, and then the little voice in my head reached out and slapped me in the face, and said "remember, you don't like Glocks".

why dont you like glocks? i have my own reason why i dont like them, just curious what yours are.

get a colt defender. its a compact 1911 in .45 acp and holds 7 + 1 or 8 + 1 depending on the magazine you use. get slim grips on it and it'll work very well for CCW. its not the 16+1 of an xd .40 but if you really NEED all 7 rounds or more in a civilian situation, you're probably screwed.

like i said, i carry an XD9sc and i always throw the 10 round mag in it even though i've got 16 rounders for it. i figure that if i need more than the 10 rounds then i should be busy escaping, not engaging.

bottom line though is i'd go with which ever calibre in which ever weapon you're most comfortable/accurate with.

They are ugly as sin.

Yeah, and? Same as with Jeeps, pretty doesn't get you home.
Yeah, a Glock is ugly, but they're about as durable as you'll get as a civilian for the $$. Whether you've got an ugly-ass Glock or a shiny chrome Beretta, what counts is getting your rounds in the target. Which a Glock will do in conditions most other guns would jam in... water, mud, sand, etc.
If the OP wanted something pretty to show off he probably wouldn't be looking for CCW.

I love my Taurus PT140 and the Taurus 24/7 pro. double single action great for a concealed carry gun. check out Kholster.com for your IWP holster. cheap and comfortable. I wear mine up to 12 hours a day

FWIW I have a SW .40 and love it. But I don't spend a lot of time in jungles or lakes shooting!:D At least until Obama:scottm: tries to take my guns away.
:hang:

They are ugly as sin.

That, plus they just don't feel comfortable to me. We are issued Glock 23's for work, and while I can shoot one well, they just don't have a natural point of aim to me, and overall just don't feel right. I have nothing bad to say about Glock durability, they are great Weapons, just not for me.

Back