• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31" on 4.56

I am still amazed by all these guys with Lift, big tires & Armor on their XJs getting better MPGs than the stock vehicles.
What are you guys doing that most of us are not?
Is there a magic MPG bullet for the XJ?

Click on this link for the EPA MPG ratings of your jeep to check out what kind of MPGs it was supposed to get while stock.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

PS: I never could get any of my vehicles to match the ratings, May be I have a heavy foot
:yap:

I was hitting 19.x nearly 20 on some but I also suspect that the PO downsized the tires a bit as they were only 27 inch tires when it was stock.

With the 31 and 3.55 I was at the bottom of that on the Highway. 12-14 Highway.

I am still amazed by all these guys with Lift, big tires & Armor on their XJs getting better MPGs than the stock vehicles.
What are you guys doing that most of us are not?
Is there a magic MPG bullet for the XJ?

i dabble in black magic from time to time

haha garr nice find. srmitchell if theyre undergeared stock then they sould get theyre best highway milage stock. being that the factory might have been gearing them for highway milage then theres no way in hell people overgearing are getting better highway since over gearing will improove town milage and lessen highway milage. i dunno i just really dont believe most of the calculations people have said on this thread.

Last edited:
haha garr nice find. srmitchell if theyre undergeared stock then they sould get theyre best highway milage stock. being that the factory might have been gearing them for highway milage then theres no way in hell people overgearing are getting better highway since over gearing will improove town milage and lessen highway milage. i dunno i just really dont believe anyones calculations on this thread.

x2, After you start lifting & changing things, more equipment, tires, wheels etc. your mileage suffers. You can re-gear to get you back to closer to stock or better than stock performance, but not mileage. bla bla bla say I'm wrong then...die.......

haha garr nice find. srmitchell if theyre undergeared stock then they sould get theyre best highway milage stock. being that the factory might have been gearing them for highway milage then theres no way in hell people overgearing are getting better highway since over gearing will improove town milage and lessen highway milage. i dunno i just really dont believe most of the calculations people have said on this thread.

Your basic premise is incorrect that they stock gearing is for best gas mileage.

Stock is a best compromise or worst compromise depending of if you have a glass half full or half empty outlook on life.

The stock setup is a compromise between towing, town driving, and freeway driving for a wide combination of terrain. The setup for that will get you best mileage while pulling a trailer up Pikes Peak will not give you the best mileage cruising town at sea-level. The stock setup attempts to balance what the company sees as all common uses and applications of the vehicle and I am sure they need to balance a number for federal and possibly state air quality rules into stock setup.

If your particular XJ is routinely pulling trailers up Pikes Peak, being having deeper gears than your opinion might call for could actually see an improvement over stock mileage pulling a trailer up Pikes Peak.

If you drive like a blue hair and never get the throttle over half open and only coast to a stop you might get better mileage while with bigger tires and stock gears than with bigger tires and more appropriate gears. But you will also loose some acceleration and towing capacity to get that slightly better mileage.

Bottom line is that what your opinion is over geared makes a number of people including myself very happy with the performance of their Jeep.

I myself am a bit skeptical of anybody saying that they are getting 20+ with any XJ. It has the aerodynamics of a shoe box. It gets only worst with the addition of a lift, bigger tires, rock rails, skids, roof rack tire on the back stuff.

But I do think that some people can re gear and nurse a 16-18 MPG with some good tuning of the engine and armor ... Most importantly I believe they are running 55 MPH instead of 75 MPH on the freeway.

I myself am a bit skeptical of anybody saying that they are getting 20+ with any XJ. It has the aerodynamics of a shoe box. It gets only worst with the addition of a lift, bigger tires, rock rails, skids, roof rack tire on the back stuff.

But I do think that some people can re gear and nurse a 16-18 MPG with some good tuning of the engine and armor ... Most importantly I believe they are running 55 MPH instead of 75 MPH on the freeway.

X3, stock jeep=brick, lifted jeep= taller flying brick

I think a front skid and belly skid improve aerodynamics. Gas tank skid maybe not, unless it curves upward at the front.

I got 22 stock on the highway, 21 with 30s, and now like 16 tops with tire carrier, winch, 33s, and 5.5" lift with 4.88s.

Either way, my lifted, undergeared xj gets the same mileage as a new rubicon, which is just sad. 10 years of technology and they can't even get better economy?

Theres so many freaking factors for gearing, and the factory does an all around approach. I don't actually remember mine getting great mileage from the start.

ya im very happy with my 4.10s im one ratio above being stock performance on 33s so it pulls quite nicely. i never really check my milage i just go with what ratio makes me happy

Either way, my lifted, undergeared xj gets the same mileage as a new rubicon, which is just sad. 10 years of technology and they can't even get better economy?

Theres so many freaking factors for gearing, and the factory does an all around approach. I don't actually remember mine getting great mileage from the start.

+1, I have a buddy that sold his mint never taken off road 01 XJ & replaced it with a new liberty, He was shocked when his MPGs were far worse with the Liberty.

ya im very happy with my 4.10s im one ratio above being stock performance on 33s so it pulls quite nicely. i never really check my milage i just go with what ratio makes me happy

im very happy with my 4.10's, 5spd, 4.0renix, and 31's.

i would love to borrow someones 33's to put on so i could see what it would be like. when my 31's wear down, i was considering 32's, guess i will wait till then.

i live in a suburbs outside of philadelphia where there are lots of stop signs, traffic lights, and hills/inclines, so i would rather be geared a bit too low so i dont have to lug the engine and also be able to use 2nd gear from a very slow rolling stop. when i had stock gearing and 31's, i found that i was in between gears too much and always had to shift into 4th on a highway with and incline or head wind. when cruising on winding back country roads i was always in between 3 and 4th gear when now i can cruise in 4th gear anywhere from 35mph to 65mph. 5th gear on the highway is anywhere from 50mph to 80mph with no need to downshift on an incline or to pass.

Back