• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 questions...realignment, rear wiper parts and modified headlight harness

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ here and she's due for some maintenance

1) My steering has been misaligned for a while now pulling fairly hard to the right. What part of my steering is causing this and how to adjust? I won't get this perfect but any improvement would be great

2) How do I find just the headlight harness for this kind of bulb? 3 prong, pic below. Every search I do for H4 hella harness gives the whole thing and I just need the parts that plug into the bulbs w/ pigtails.

3) Broke the dang rear wiper assembly the other day and need to find replacement parts. Thing is I hadn't paid any attention to how this broken part (pic below) was before it was broke so I don't know how they go back together, or if I can just order the small broken part or the whole arm assembly that comes with it. Also wondering what it's called and where to look for it.

Thanks friends, appreciate the help.

jpXpqag.jpg

k0sz7We.jpg

I'll just comment that there are a number of factors that can be contributing to pull on a Cherokee:

- Non-uniformly inflated tires.
- Non-uniformly worn tires from one side of the vehicle to the other.
- Different types of tires on either side.
- Brake drag on one side.
- Castor difference.
- Rear thrust angle not square to the vehicle.

Thanks for the replies guys and sorry for that big picture again.

It never occurred to me that different tires on the front could be causing my steering problem but I bet that's exactly what it is. I've got 3 the same from when I bought them a few years ago and one different where I got a puncture in the sidewall of one of the new tires. I'll switch it to the rear and see what happens.

Any suggestions for a headlight harness or rear wiper replacement?

Wish this board would let you edit your posts. Anyhow, I solved both the headlight and wiper arm problem.

I don't know your solution to the H4 bulb. They make replacement headlights that use the H4 bulb. I have run Autopal, Cibie and I think the Rampage. I do have Carillo and Hella on another car. The Autopals are inexpensive and much better than stock. There is also the headlight wiring upgrade.

I have the AutoPals and a homemade headlight relay harness. The harness is almost mandatory for the older pre 92 jeeps with the undersized wiring and failure-prone headlight switch. Nowadays, I'd likely go with one of the good LED drop-in headlights out there.

From my opinion, the Autopals or any H4 gives about double the light. The wiring upgraded wiring harnesses double that. I haven't tried the LED lights. If I were, instead of the Trucklights or other expensive ones, I might try the OSRAM ones. I think they are $90 a pair. OSRAM makes H4 bulbs that are VG. So, that is what I am determining that on.

If the '96 has the ability to install a complete light assembly, I suggest switching over to LED. They are so much brighter than traditional bulbs. There a lot of bashing of LED lamps assemblies due to the perception that they are "too" bright or not designed to shield oncoming drivers from the light, but not all are like that. I've got these on my XJ, and they are great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NJ4PG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are bright (but still not as bright as the factory LED lights in my wife's 2019 Accord), the color is correct (white not blue or purple), and zero issues with the light shining onto oncoming traffic when the lights are properly aimed. Its also a great looking light. The LED array around the perimeter is always on when the vehicle is running, so it adds a modern touch to the vehicle.

Are you looking to just replace the actual connectors on your XJ's factory wiring? You should be able to get a connector pigtail at your local parts store or online by searching "H4 connector pigtail".

(note: H4 is also known as "9003" and "HB2", and it's the same pinout as traditional old-school sealed beams).

That said, I would also urge you to consider adding a relay harness to take the load of supplying power to the lights themselves off your headlight switch through the tiny OE It'll make a big difference even without changing the lights themselves, and it'll prevent your headlight switch from getting melted (having replaced the switch in my 92 once, I can say from experience that it's NOT a fun job).

As to alternate lights, that'll come down to personal preference. Myself, I really like my AutoPals E-Code housings - so much so that I bought a second set when my first ones wore out b(got water into them off-road and the reflectors rusted, though this took about 10 years).

The LEDs Max mentioned look nice, but do you live in an area where you could encounter snow? I've read that the LEDs don't put out enough waste heat to keep ice and snow from building up (though more expensive brands like TruckLite seem to be adding actual heating elements for this). Might not be a problem for you, but here in NJ it would be a concern for me.

Good luck!t k

Thanks again peeps. I have the upgraded wiring and relays, autopal housings and 55/100 H4 bulbs. Got the harness upgrade from LMC truck about 5 years ago and the connections are underbuilt for the current passing through them. Had to replace a connection at the battery for the high beams as it melted and now I'm replacing the bulb harness because they've melted somewhat and have loose connections. Actually I think I need to replace the entire harness as the whole thing is weak. Keeping this in mind I hardly ever use my brights, and if I do it's only very briefly.

Thanks again for the good advice.

Back