• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link front...

XJ_ranger said:
My upper arm is approx 4" longer than my lowers...

this works really well because when the front axle droops out, the pinion rotates up, and doesnt bind out the driveshaft till really low in the travel...

you might consider the effects of a short upper and what that will do to your driveshaft...

also - a 26" long trackbar? you cant make it any longer?

the longer the trackbar, the larger the arc the axle moves in, the less side to side movement for the same travel... I managed to get my trackbar to something like 32" long...

Yep...this is almost exactly what I did (I think my trackbar is about that, maybe an inch longer). Even with a low pinion axle, I have much bigger issues to worry about binding at the t-case output. The axle yoke hasn't been an issue at all.

That anti-squat % looks kind of high for a front end, from what I've experienced. Try messing with your mounting points some more - and consider the upper vs. lower length as mentioned - and see what you can come up with. Mine is around 70% on paper which I've been extremely happy with.

Here's a link to my whole suspension setup, with a full explanation & review of how it's done so far.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630589&highlight=suspension+design

My method for avoiding the pinch seam is in there...others have done it in ways that integrate it into the unibody a little more. Someone (Jes, maybe?) did one where they put it through the passenger side floor and reinforced the bracket into the floorboards, and that seemed to work pretty well. I think overall you'll need to do some floor modification if you want it to work as well as it can...but based on the 203/205 setup you've already got, I doubt that's much of an issue.

Ok, so I played with some numbers. I think it is a little clearer and I actually somewhat understand this now.

3linknumbers2.jpg

Better? I think I can live with this.

vetteboy said:
Someone (Jes, maybe?) did one where they put it through the passenger side floor and reinforced the bracket into the floorboards, and that seemed to work pretty well. I think overall you'll need to do some floor modification if you want it to work as well as it can...but based on the 203/205 setup you've already got, I doubt that's much of an issue.

You might be thinking of XJ_ranger.
Billy

I did mine the same as Goat's. Lowers are about 22.5", upper is about 21.5".

The trick is to make the lowers long enough to get good angles & short enough that they don't get in the way.

standard

Paul

hellbilly04 said:
Thought I would post up a few pics of my completed 3link. Have a few trips on it with no issues, works great. Thanks again Vettboy.

IMG_0193.jpg
Get an SYE :D

There was no way to stuff the crossmember up any higher?

Nice looking work!

SYE is next on list! There was no more room to stuff the crossmember up, believe me I tried, that NP241 hangs down there..Thanks for the props :thumbup:

XJ_ranger said:
Get an SYE :D

There was no way to stuff the crossmember up any higher?

Nice looking work!

Got it done last weekend and wheeled it today. Man is it sooo much nicer then the old short arms. Got some details to work out.

Callalantee001.jpg

Callalantee002.jpg

Callalantee004.jpg

I got a request for more pictures so i took some today. Sorry its so dirty but I was wheeling this past weekend.

Upper mount:

Callalantee012.jpg

Looking down the upper link:

Callalantee009.jpg

Upper mount is 2 pieces of .25 plate. One bent and welded to the other. Did this to get it off the frame so a nut and wrench can get back there.

Callalantee021.jpg

Tie in to frame rail stiffiner:

Callalantee020.jpg

There are more in the album. If anyone wants some more just let me know. I have to bumpstop it better because right now the shock is bottoming out. Plans are to lower the shock mount on the axle a little and build a better bumpstop.

Cool, looks good man. As long as it performs as you expected, I'd say it's a success.

I'm in the process of redoing my whole front bumpstop and shock travel situation too...looking to gain about 2" more uptravel without lifting the rig any. We'll see how it goes.

Some wheelin shots:

NewjeepCallalantee208003.jpg

NewjeepCallalantee208.jpg

callellantafeb23012.jpg

In this last shot I was told both front tires were off the ground and I was basically sitting on my back bumper and rear tires. I dont know if its true but that is what I was told. Needless to say I had to pull the seat out of my arse once I got off that climb. No I did not make it it was raining the whole time and very wet. We had already flopped a LJ in this spot today and I was not intrested in testing the 3 link and the cage on the first big obsticle after the 3 link instal.

That look is priceless.

Ramsey said:
That look is priceless.
That was me trying to reach my shifter when my seat belt would not release.

hellbilly04 said:
your setup looks clean Ghost. Put some limit straps on before you destroy your shocks & the coils fall out:D

TY working on that. I do have some coil retaining wire on the coils but a hard drop and it breaks. I still lost a coil on this trip. Was not on that obstical though.

Back