• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 issues

I've never experienced it with a 4.0 and an auto even on the steepest of hills.

I'm betting the t-case was in FullTime and one wheel was spinning. I can't see it revving high as the OP described and not moving for any other reason.

But then again, we're getting second hand info aren't we?

since none of us were there its hard to tell...

it could be in the transmission, but if the chain int he 242 were completely worn out, and the differential inside was worn it could have been sending all the power to the front, but it wasn't getting there because the chain was too stretched.

might have made a horrible noise, or the chain could have come completely off and it would have done nothing....

a transfercase is a hell of a lot easier to re-build than a transmission. my vote is to at least crack it open and give it a look.

it could be in the transmission, but if the chain int he 242 were completely worn out, and the differential inside was worn it could have been sending all the power to the front, but it wasn't getting there because the chain was too stretched.

might have made a horrible noise, or the chain could have come completely off and it would have done nothing....

a transfercase is a hell of a lot easier to re-build than a transmission. my vote is to at least crack it open and give it a look.

I would think that a 242 or 231 TC would blow up before it was in bad enough shape to prevent foward movent of the truck.

Even if the t/case diff is brand new and it's in Fulltime, it will send all the power to the one spinning wheel. That's why they gave you the Parttime option.

its why i asked if she was in high range. it happens.

ive been bound up so bad even in low range that my tranny slipped.
but she was just climbing a hill, she wasn't bound up. I find it hard to believe the tranny is so XXXXed that it would slip on a steep hill in 4hi, but not on the street.

the case could have slipped back into nuetral as well, especially if the linkage is out of adjustment.

I would think that a 242 or 231 TC would blow up before it was in bad enough shape to prevent foward movent of the truck.

you would think so, but my 242 had so much slack in the chain it would bounce the jeep around instead of turning the driveshafts.

Even if the t/case diff is brand new and it's in Fulltime, it will send all the power to the one spinning wheel. That's why they gave you the Parttime option.

and if the chain is gone, it will send the power to nowhere land.

Sure would be nice to hear back from the OP, huh?
so to answer questions of where the OP has been... well i work 6 days a week and go to college 4 of those as well. oh and i have to fix vehicles at 11pm because i don't have free time at any other point in the day. but thank you for your concern.

so me and my buddy split the case... chain is in ok shape not too much slop-it has maybe 3/4" of play when i push it in. when i did this i removed the chain and tested on another 242 we got to be accurate. same amount of play in both chains. i say that because her input shaft bearing was SHOT and she had some chipped gears. so neither chain was in bad shape but the whole shaft on her original 242 flops around A LOT causing a good 3" of play-possibly more. thing is garbage.

so we ordered a new bearing yesterday and that is going to be installed, along the way everything else is going to be inspected (it was late so we didn't stick around much longer), we will swap what is worn and buy brand new parts where needed. i'm trying to have it driving saturday night so theres not time to wait for too many NEW parts to be shipped or really in the budget-thats why we have a parts t-case.

Also the linkage was not adjusted right and the bushing was toast as well. so i figure these junk internals in combination with the case possibly not being fully engaged caused the whole odd situation.

Yea...but he described engine powering out...no wheel spin. the 242, even in full time, would spin at least one wheel. I'm still betting on problem NOT being the TC...it's gear-driven/chain-driven....won't allow transmission output without wheel output (wheel spin). I'm willing to bet that the TC was in 4-high...and the transmission just "powered out"....tell GF to find the low range position.
based on what i just said i will bet there is some slipping going on since the gears/bearings are junk and the chain will almost skip teeth under the force of my hand...
also i don't think i need to tell the gf how to find low range... shes never owned a car.... just fullsize trucks and SUVs. had 3 lifted cherokees and wheeled them all. i know you have a penis and she has a vagina so she MUST BE retarded but she can use the black lever thingy on the side of the console.

you would think so, but my 242 had so much slack in the chain it would bounce the jeep around instead of turning the driveshafts.

same thing happened to my stepdad's 242, made the craziest noise i've ever heard. ever.

so me and my buddy split the case... chain is in ok shape not too much slop-it has maybe 3/4" of play when i push it in. when i did this i removed the chain and tested on another 242 we got to be accurate. same amount of play in both chains. i say that because her input shaft bearing was SHOT and she had some chipped gears. so neither chain was in bad shape but the whole shaft on her original 242 flops around A LOT causing a good 3" of play-possibly more. thing is garbage.

thats definately a problem... hope thats the fix dude.

So once i got down to the shift forks inside that was quite interesting. But now that i've disassembled it completely once it all makes sense. Anyway put a bunch of new seals on too and the case is getting rtv. It should work smoothly and never leak again haha

Back