• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ W/ $3,500 to spend on stage 1

Hmmm. Froehlich Suspension Tech 3 link and steering sounds good to me. :D Im not bias at all... Who knows you'll probably get a good deal already being a red letter member and all. :cool:

If I was you, I would focus most of the money on the drivetrain. There's also sooo many parts that you will need that you can easily buy from people on this forum. Look in your local section.If you find good deals, that will extend this money and you will get more bang for your buck. I would first start with the D30, get a Hp non disco, re-gear it to 4:56 if you are sure you want 35's. Then Truss it and add some mini skids. I would then find some 12" rotors from a ford escape and get some lug mounted calipers. This will increase your brake capabilities tremendously. Front is done. Then find an 8.8 with disc brakes. Do the necessary modifications and bolt that puppy up. Get a 6" lift and I would do the RockKrawler 3-link if your mainly doing rocks, mountains, etc. An SYE and your set. With the left over money (if there is any) buy some 5150's and used rims and tires. I say used tires because if you buy new 35's and hate them, your stuck with em. I personally would go 33's. Then I would upgrade to the currie steering setup.

You are going to hear a lot of bad info, so you have the responsibility to research this site and filter out the garbage. That being said, I would suggest sticking to a moderate lift and tire size and wheel that for stage 1. Regardless of build, buy quality and from reputable vendors/users. There are numerous hidden expenses that will eat your budget.

For best management of your funds, stick with your 8.25 and run 32 or 33" tires and match that to a 4.5" or 5.5" short arm lift. You'll need an SYE and driveshaft for anything you are planning, so figure that into your cost estimate.

Match your tires to your terrain and wheeling proclivities. M/Ts or A/T's choices are vast. Don't forget rims; proper offset/backspace may be required for proper turning clearance. Lockers should also be in your budget. Start with a front locker, and you'll be fine with your rear LS diff.

Equally important is your choice of protection. Rock rails are a must, as are TC skids, fuel skids, and recovery points. Bumpers, racks, and trim should wait for stage 2, unless you grow a bigger budget or find stuff cheap.

Basic safety/performance
Body protection
Recovery gear
Suspension lift and SYE/driveshaft
Tires
Gearing and lockers
More protection
Different lift and tires
Cutting and grinding
Welding
Snide remarks from the neighbors
Air tank and ARB lockers
Diversion of funds to support growing hobby
Spousal separation and distrust
More cutting
Fabbing an exo-cage
Kids appear distant and wont return your calls
New plans for 37" Swampers and a taller lift
Rhino-lining the interior
Door removal
Spending too much time on the trail
Job failure
Home foreclosure
Frequent daydreaming about your XJ
and...

Last edited:
Shove 30x9.50s under it and a lunchbox locker and be amazed what it can do.

Throw a 3inch lift, some armor, 31s, and a selectable locker, be even more amazed what you can do and spend the rest on gas and a K and N.

Do the above, cut the fenders out, add 33s, upgrade the brakes and steering, have money left for gas and repair gremlins.

What I would do if I had a late model, take $500 and find a 91-95 beater, lift and cut and not worry about breaking stuff cause you have another one to drive to pickup parts

Back