• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ A Pillar Trim Removal

gdavis

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to replace the headliner on a 01 XJ & found little to no information on how to remove the A pillar trim. The FSM gives information on the older XJ's with the pop out screw covers & Phillips screw holding the trim on. Apparently it was never updated with the later production clips used.

The 97 (not real sure when they started) & later models have no screw cover caps, no screws, just some really tough clips to remove. The first one I tried was at the top of the driver's door & I broke it off of the plastic trim. After seeing how it was made, I found that a flat, thin trim tool from Harbor Freight trim tool set #38386 could be slid up under the vinyl trim to feel for the clips. I used the flat 1.25" wide 8.5" tool in the trim tool set.

The clips are about 2" wide & attached to the vinyl by 2 thin tabs molded on the back of the vinyl. The tabs stick through 2 slots in the metal clips & appear to be heat welded to lock them into the metal. The clip is made with a stiff spring like loop in the middle of it to snap into the door & A pillar frame. It holds extremely tight & the 2 molded tabs easily break off if you pull or push just on the vinyl trim.

If you slide the tool to find the clips, center the tool by feel in the metal clips. Make sure the tool is pushed up against the clip then pry against the door sill to force the clip with vinyl trim out. It's not easy, but I did not break any more clips off of the trim when I used that method.

To remove the headliner, I did not remove the A Pillar trim down by the dash, just removed 3 clips on the drivers & 2 (the grab handle is used) on the passenger side. That allowed the headliner to be removed.

Hope this will help someone else.

Just removed my trim (2001 XJ). In addition to the clips on the A pillar, there are two on the trim piece over the rear hatch door. They were the first two I broke before I knew what they looked like. Afterwards I still managed to break all but 1/2 of 1 clip. I figure I'll try velcro tape when I go to put it back together. Oh, and it was better for me to work front to rear rather than rear to front - found that out on the second side. Cheers...

Back