• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Mild, Tasteful Modifications

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, time for this thing to be gone. You can see the "build" thread here:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8952

Vehicle:
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 133,XXX miles
D30 front, D35 rear(non c-clip), 3.55 gears, discs
242 Transfercase, 42RE Transmission, 4.0L(Mobil 1 synthetic since I bought it)
PW, PS, PDL, CC, Tilt Wheel, Aftermarket CD, ABS
OEM Class III Hitch, OEM Tow Hooks
235/85/R16 BFG ATs with less than 5K on them. Certs from Discount Tire.

I have replaced/upgraded the following:
--Old Man Emu Heavy Coils and Regular Length shocks all around
--Cylinder Head was replaced at approximately 100K due to a cracked head. The new head was reconditioned at a local machine shop that I trust. No cracks, no warpage. I had a 3 angle valve job done at the time, all seals replaced. I did the swap work myself. I trust it, it runs just fine.
--New JBA Ceramic Coated Header
--K&N FIPK
--Front driveshaft has been upgraded from the GKN/Rzeppa style output at the t-case to a yoke. New driveshaft from Carolina Driveline.
--Defender Roof Rack
--Trailsport 1.25" wheel spacers. The tires fit without the spacers, but to run real chains on them for the winter time, I needed the spacers.
--Installed mechanical cooling fan from Tow Package.
--New water pump at 100k
--New electric fan with spare motor
--New fan relay with spares
--Miscellaneous spare parts
--Mild rebuild on the transfercase(output bearings and seals, chain).
--New stock radiator, t-stat, and radiator cap.
--Medium sized transmission cooler was installed when I went to bigger tires.
--Upgraded to new style calipers and stock rotors/pads all around.

I bought the vehicle with roughly 80K miles on it, and the current mileage is listed above. This was my DD/Trail rig, but has only seen about 4 camping trips. Two in Flagstaff, and two to DV. This vehicle has been used, but any abuse would have killed it long ago.

The majority of the mileage was from 8 months of a 200 mile a day commute from LAX to Moreno Valley. I drive slow and mellow and was able to eek out 23MPG on some tanks, but mainly around the 18-20MPG mark, depending on traffic; this was with smaller 235/70/R16 Yokohama Geolander ATs. I get 16-18 on the highway now, but I am only driving from LAX to Long Beach. The speedometer is off by 10% due to the new tire size, but I have accounted for this in my mileage records that I keep for every tank of gas.

The bad:
The transmission is slipping when cold. Once it has warmed up, it shifts fine. I've run a bottle of Lucas through it, and had the most recent software flashed to the PCM. I would drive it to AZ and back, but not on a long cross-country trip. Bottom line is the tranny needs to be replaced/rebuilt. You can get a used 42RE from $250-$500, have this one rebuilt for $1000-$3000 depending on how heavily modified you want it, or get a new one from $1500-$3200. Before I chose to sell it, I opted for a mild rebuild of the current transmission at $1500 out the door.

KBB: $4,200, based on midway between Good and Fair
Nada:$5,800, based on "Clean Retail."

As it sits, with the rack, and current BFG ATs, and transmission work needed, I'll start the price at $5,000. This is assuming the following:
-$250 for the roof rack
-$500 for the tires
-Split the difference on the low side of the trans repair at $700.

If you'd like to bargain, that is fine with me, and I am open to very specific trades for other vehicles. I'll sell without the rack, and with 4 new 235/75/R16Yokohama Geolander ATs, with certs from Discount tires for $4,000.

Please see the pictures for reference. Email me at gavin dot ferguson at gmail dot com for more specific pictures or details, or feel free to PM me.

Thank you.
Gavin

DSCN3102.jpg

DSCN3103.jpg

DSCN3104.jpg

DSCN3105.jpg

DSCN3106.jpg

DSCN3108.jpg

Scotland Grille Badge, and Airborne sticked do come with the vehicle. :D

**An Update**

I took the Jeep to the dealership this weekend and had the transmission linkage adjusted, just in case. The vehilce seems to shift better now, and doesnt have the sluggish feeling it did before(relatively speaking, it is a 4.0L with larger tires and stock gearing!)

The transmission shifts fine from 1-2, and will slip under very hard acceleration when it is cold from 2-3. The 3-OD shift is fine, as well as all the downshifts. Once the vehicle is warmed up, it doesnt slip at all in the 2-3 shift.

I'm a bit more comfortable with it, but it could use some work, just to be on the safe side, and I don't feel like paying for it myself.

Thanks for looking.

I have removed the wheel spacers. The buyer will need to sort out wheel issues on their own; I don't feel comfortable with a possibly uniformed buyer not keeping up on the maintenance of the spacers....safer for everyone.

do you want to get rid of the spacers?? sorry off subject but just a question...

Spacers have already been sold actually.

They are 5x5 though, so only the new JKs and WJs could have used them.

Thank you for the interest though.

Back