• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 works perfect HELP!!

when I changed mine it took me about an hour, I unbolted the front drive shaft to make room for my arm to get up there, other then that it wasn't too bad. The plug on mine wasn't too bad either, once you get the CPS out it will move around.

On my 2000 the CPS connector is on the drivers side, mounted on a little bracket that is bolted to something - I don't recall what exactly. I can reach in there a disconnect it or remove the single bolt and pull the connector closer to me.

On the other two I just unplugged it and swapped in the new one.

KB2ROCKET said:
I am thinking I will replace these sensor's now and keep the old ones as spares this will give me a chance to figure out what tools will be required to put in a kit in case I need to change one out in a remote location

Four Cherokees, 87xj 260K (sold), 96xj 170K, 99xj 120K, 01wj 100K. All 4.0
Never had to replace one. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Electronic components can fail any time.
Many failures I think happened to early XJs due to wire routing. The exhaust melting the wires being a common one.

Your XJ has the new ignition and the new head.
Unfortunately these heads sometimes crack between the #3 and #4 exhaust.
Keep an eye on your water and oil for evidence of contamination.
When you pour oil in, get a flash light and look at the area between the valves.
Any line in that area is suspect, it could be a crack.

I just want to thank everyone for your input I am proud to announce that so far I have had NO
sensor failures
cracked head
death wobble
or the gazillion other items I have read about on the net
but at least now I am aware of alot of the things that could happen
I should be good with most of this stuff as I am a maintenance Freak that drives like a granny (but not with my blinkers on all the time :) ) I dont tow anything and all my driving is done on pavement
for those that have never driven a yellow car or truck let me tell you a funny story I was at a bar until closing time then I got in my yellow cherokee to drive home and this drunk girl opens my back door and gets in and slurs her home address so I drove her home and dropped her off I dought she will ever know it wasnt a taxi cab
Im sure that wont ever happen to me again
un less I put a little light on top of it :)

falcon556 said:
Four Cherokees, 87xj 260K (sold), 96xj 170K, 99xj 120K, 01wj 100K. All 4.0
Never had to replace one. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Electronic components can fail any time.
Many failures I think happened to early XJs due to wire routing. The exhaust melting the wires being a common one.

Many including myself regard the cps as a maintenance Item and keep an old one as a spare.

You'd be surprised,I don't even have the motivation to type that much.....
I grew up wheeling in places where if your jeep breaks down and you leave it,it will either be gone when you come back or set on fire!Plus I don't want to be "that guy" that isn't prepared.We've all been wheelin with guys like that at one time or another.Mainly the buddies I wheel with who can't even carry a set of jumper cables!Guess they will start stocking thier trucks when I start telling them no.
I'm like warn.....I always go prepared.

Last edited:
TacticalFats said:
Oh, you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about that CPS...your head will split into two pieces long before that sensor goes.
my 2001 head is fine, but the sensor died 20,000 miles ago...

I wonder why someone would want to carry the only sensor that totally disables their jeep........I mean since it weighs 50lbs and takes up so much grocery space.
Didn't you hear?AAA does offroad rescues now.......

The replacement sensors are also not slotted. I've posted pictures of how it should be done (similar in style to an ANL fuse,) to make things simple for you. If you're going to play about with it in the garage, you may as well slot your sensor before you put it back - saves you trouble next time, since you don't have to remove the screws to get it out. Slot the replacement sensor now, so you're not stuck figuring out how to do it later.

One of the best tools I've got I found entirely by chance - I have a 3/8" socket wrench extension that runs about 30" long. I paid ten bucks for it, and it's saved me several hours so far! It pretty much lives with an 11m/m "flex socket" on the end (the only job I really use it for is swapping out the CKP,) so I can just grab it when I need it. It lives right next to the long heavy screwdriver that weights the new sensor down as I snug up the screws.

I doubt the screws were changed over the years - so yours will probably accept a 7/16" or 11m/m wrench as well (as you probably already know, they're essentially the same size anyhow.) Do not lose those screws! They're a sort of "extended shoulder" screw, and the grip is oversized and locates the sensor. There's just enough freeplay that if you didn't have the shoulder, you'd probably end up chewing the sensor up on the trigger notches on the flywheel. (Forewarned is forearmed. Although, I often find that fourarms would be more useful...:) )

I highly suggest using a "flex" socket - socket with an inbuilt universal joint - for this job and for manifold screws. The extra inch of clearance you gain over the socket/universal joint combination will save your hair...

The first time, you'll probably have to remove the screws entirely. Pack the socket with grease, so you don't drop the screws into the bellhousing (it isn't guaranteed to work, but it's much better than nothing.)

Back