• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door or 4 door?

bakednAZ

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to the site and will be new to the XJ scene. I originaly was going to go with a FSJ cherokee, But after seeing the incredible rigs all of you have put together I have decided to go with an XJ. Now for the question. Are their any fundamental differences between the 2 door and 4 door. I have kids so the 4 door is the obvious. Just want to weigh my options. Length, Trail worthiness, etc.....Thanx in advance.....Baked

imo, the 2-door is better, here's why:

you get fold down front seats as well, so you can fit long objects into the XJ more easily
you can get in the back without having the contents of the rear flare transfer from the flare to your butt, and then to the backseat
you can cut the rear wheelwells out bigger on a 2-door
2-door XJ's just look better
two less doors with two less latches, lock mechanisms and two less roll down windows that can break.
the rear doors on a 4-door aren't big enough to be worth having there.
you can open the window on a 2-door and lay your entire arm down on the sill because it's actually long enough
easier to keep the kids in the back because they can only get out if you get out of the way and let them out.
most 2-doors have rear cupholders

as far as major differences, there really are none. the wheelbases are identical and everything aside from the door related pieces are identical.

but still...

2-door > 4-door

The two door and four door are basically the same thing. Same length, wheelbase, etc.

Jes

Already beat me to it... love my 2 door BTW.

They are both the same wheelbase. Other than the styling, there aren't a whole lot of differences that i know of. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Wow, you have to be quick in responding around here.

Last edited:
Well, you'll find out that everyone has an opinion on this one, like slush boxes vs sticks. Dimensionally (inside and out) and mechanically, the only difference between a 2 door and a 4 door is that the front doors are longer on the 2 door. (and the rear wheel well is a bit longer on the 2 door).

You sort of tipped your hand, mentioning that you have kids - rear seat passengers do benefit from the extra set of doors. But, the choice will have no effect on your off roading ability. I'm biased of course, having only owned 2 door (5 of them) XJ's, and only ever bought coupes when I had cars.

Some guys swear that the four door is more structurally sound (one more column), but, to be honest, I've beat the hell out of mine and see no issues. Then again, the 2 door is a couple of hundred lbs lighter. One flaw though, there is more of a chance of door hinge failure on an older two door, but this shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Besides, 2 dr XJ's just look better! :D

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Anyone else notice that no one has piped up to suggest that 4 drs are better?
:laugh:

2 drs rock!

I guess I'm the only one to think that 4 doors are better. I actually think they look better and coming from only owning pickups before my Jeep, I have grown to despise flipping down seats and having people get out to let other passengers out. I like having back windows that roll down as well, you can ventilate without a huge amount of wind and noise.

I loved My 2 door! I liked the cleaner sleeker look of it. Allthough it is nice to have a 4 door. So I dont know if this helps you? haha!

Matt

I second the 4 door! :viking: I love mine with 4 door, waaay easier to access stuff w/o going thru the front seats

bakednAZ said:
Thanx for the info. I think that I will go for the four door. I like the way they look when you do the rear chop....SWEET.....Thanx again for the info, Baked

well awwww right!!! we got another one from going to the dark side of the two door variety! 2 doors is great! you aint gonna regret it! :viking:

I like the 4 door for the convieniece argument. Like so many other things we consider, which is better comes down to how you intend to use your XJ.

Well, I love my two door, mostly because I think it looks better. All in the eye of the beholder of course...

One thing nobody has mentioned is availability. I don't have any actual numbers, but around here at least you'll see 25, maybe 50 four doors for every two door you happen upon. Upside is that a two door is a little more unique.

On the downside, shopping for a two door is a pita. First, 98% of the XJ's for sale will be four doors. Then when you do get lucky enough to find one, the two-doors seem to be 98% sticks. Or 2wd. Or four bangers. Or all three...

I looked (casually) for a full year, and bought the very first two-door, 4.0, 4wd auto I found.

I figure when this one finally rusts in half, I'll get a newer 4 cyl-2wd-4sp and just swap everything into it...

Sorry for the friggin autobiography... :yap::yap:

Robert

A couple of additional 2 vs. 4 points:

The two-door doors are considerably heavier, and more prone to hinge failure. Especially if you have kids, who are hard to train not to flinging doors open....

If you get a used 2-door, check carefully for stress weakening where the upper hinge is welded to the unibody. This can be repaired, but is often done badly.

For some reason, it seems that 2-doors rust faster than 4's, both at the door bottoms and the bottom of the quarter panel between door and wheel well (which is occupied only by a door on four doors).

Finally, unless you get a deluxe model of 2-door with openable rear wing windows, there's no openable window back there, and ventilation can be limited.

Tall folks like the two-doors because when the seat is set way back, there's no door-post beside them, and the seat belt mounting is more comfortable.

Matthew Currie said:
Tall folks like the two-doors because when the seat is set way back, there's no door-post beside them, and the seat belt mounting is more comfortable.

That is the only thing I don't like about my 4 door. I love to ride with the windows down and the window is too far forward to comfortably hang my arm out the window.

One good point about the 4 doors is that I ride everywhere with the windows down if its nice out and if you put all four windows down you get good ventilation and even at hwy speeds it doesn't blow you away like it does with only two windows down.

Back