• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 carb question...

rick90yj

NAXJA Forum User
OK, let me begin by saying I'm a Wrangler owner. A friend who is mechanically a novice has asked me a question I cannot answer. I have an Autolite 2100 carb in my 4.2 six cylinder Wrangler. It's a fairly common swap to get rid of the BBD Carter. What we are wondering is, has anybody tried this on the 2.8 V-6? The carb I used came from a 2.8 V-6 Ford Bronco II. It was also used on the 5.0 V-8 Mustangs and a whole lot of other Ford cars before EFI. To be honest, I don't even know what the carb on hers looks like. (She's in Washington state, I'm in Minnesota) What carb is on the 2.8 anyway? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

I tried to find some thing else to put on the wife's 84 xj but the intake sits the carb sideways(?IIRC) and the bolt pattern isnt symetrical... it seemed like the webber kit or a reman rochester or rip the tbi off a s-10 and have fun with wiring and sensors....I found a guy that rebuilt mine for $100. Works ok now.

yellowxj said:
I tried to find some thing else to put on the wife's 84 xj but the intake sits the carb sideways(?IIRC) and the bolt pattern isnt symetrical... it seemed like the webber kit or a reman rochester or rip the tbi off a s-10 and have fun with wiring and sensors....I found a guy that rebuilt mine for $100. Works ok now.

Is there some sort of spacer under the carb?

If the carb is a 2se rochester, the Redline Weber kit replacement number is K490...it's a little pricey, but if you are facing using a "rebuilt" carb at typical auto supply pricing it may well be worth the extra expense to use the weber.
If you go weber, be sure to get a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 3 to 3.5 PSI.

Kit info is available at www.redlineweber.com

MudDawg said:
If the carb is a 2se rochester, the Redline Weber kit replacement number is K490...it's a little pricey, but if you are facing using a "rebuilt" carb at typical auto supply pricing it may well be worth the extra expense to use the weber.
If you go weber, be sure to get a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 3 to 3.5 PSI.

Kit info is available at www.redlineweber.com

If you read my original question it had nothing to do with the Rochester carb. I'm looking for anybody who may have swapped a Autolite carb to a 85 Jeep 2.8 V-6 XJ.

Last edited:
sorry about that, theres been a little confusion, there shouldnt be any 95 xjs with a 2.8 v-6. Last years for 2.8v-6 in xj was 84-86 IIRC. A 95 xj will have a 4.0 HO I-6 fuel injected motor or a 2.5 I-4 that is also injected. Unless some one cobbled together something "unique".

yellowxj said:
sorry about that, theres been a little confusion, there shouldnt be any 95 xjs with a 2.8 v-6. Last years for 2.8v-6 in xj was 84-86 IIRC. A 95 xj will have a 4.0 HO I-6 fuel injected motor or a 2.5 I-4 that is also injected. Unless some one cobbled together something "unique".
CORRECTION: Typo...it should have read "85 XJ" since corrected. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, that is the only bolt-on replacement that I know of other than another stock carb...it's what I did to my old S-10. Just trying to help.

Back