• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L performance

I wonder what individual throttle bodies (or carbs) would do for it... think how MGs and old 4banger sports cars used to have them back in the day. Ferraris had 12 on their 12-cyl. engines! That'd be a b* to tune though, 12 cylinders....

Big cam, ported/polished heads, more fuel, more air, deck the block(or head), bore the motor. Higher octane fuel, Nitrous if your class allows it. Larger valves, lightened flywheel. No power steering, manual transmission, gears, roller valve train, No A/c. Im not sure what type of "racing" your doing with this jeep, but if you can get rid of the t-case, driveline and front axle and go to 2wd, that would eliminate the rotating assembly in the front, and that would reduce drag. or convert to locking hubs. electric locking would be best if you can find them. unlock while driving, lock em when 4wd is needed. Thats about all you'll be able to do. You'll be able to do it all with a MPI motor, but carburators are more simple. You can crank up the fuel/air mixture and not have to mess with a computer.

If i could find my book, i could give you the HP/TQ numbers for a stock 2.5L carb, TBI, and MPI.

Your going to end up putting more money into this than you probably want to, just to get a decent amount of power. i wheeled one with 4.10 gears and a 5spd for a year, it SUCKED.

It's already 2wd. I don't drive it on the street, so a spool is fine in the rear. Nitrous not allowed, and even if it was, there is no way to carry enough to last all day.

As for racing type, see www.rally-america.com. Think prerunner, not rock crawler. And trust me, a few grand spent on this is way cheaper than the alternative.

2 things come to mind. Upgrade to the MPI system and buy my cam. :) The MPI upgrade is not that hard. I have the intake you need. It bolts to your head. Get a standard 4.0L TB, which is bigger then the 2.5L TB, a wiring harness and computer for the engine. You will basically need to also get a body harness too since the conector is different at the firewall. You could rewire the MPI wire harness but trust me when I say it is much easyer to pull the dash, 4 bolts on top two on botom and take the old harness out and swap a new one in. I have dont it. It is tim consuming but worth it IMHO! I went from an 84 carbed motor to a 94 MPI motor in my 84 xj. Let me know if I can help. I think between Old Man and myself we have been there and done that on the 2.5L's!

CAM specs: P4529658
Cam and Tappet Package
Hydrolic Lift .450/.450
Duration 256/256
Overlap 40
Centerline 106

New in the box never installed. I was waiting to do a rebuild and bore it some and port and polish the heads before I installed it. I stumbled on a $400 4.0L and went with it.

It's already 2wd. I don't drive it on the street, so a spool is fine in the rear. Nitrous not allowed, and even if it was, there is no way to carry enough to last all day.

As for racing type, see www.rally-america.com. Think prerunner, not rock crawler. And trust me, a few grand spent on this is way cheaper than the alternative.

I went to that website but it looks like mostly cars. Is there a different class for suvs/trucks?

You could convert the fuel system to accept E-85.......
normal hp gains from E85 are ~40hp...compared to the same motor running 110
but the down fall is you burn alot more fuel. I dont remember the exact number but its like 60%. So if your going long distance that could be a problem.

There is a Ralley series that runs at Sandhills Nat Forest in McBee, SC every year. It's not that one though.

Multi TBI ! sounds cool if you could find/make a computer that will handle more then one. But the port FI would still make more HP (IMO) and use less gas doing it. If you could find/make an intake.
Chevy did use twin TBI on a few V8 at one time.
Multi Carbs may work for the go faster types of offing. As long as you don't need any real bottom end.
The V12 and others did use them but mostly they were big engines in light(ER) cars. The massive engine could cover up the loss of torque at the bottom.
With a 4 banger in a XJ I think he would have to be very carefull about giving up much low RPM torque. But I'm a go slower so I may be wra.. wronnnn ..... not right. :)
Also it's got to be a stick. He can't give up any HP to a slush box.
Now that we fixed all you XJ problem! How is you love life doing :)

Last edited:
Back